AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   What are you Grilling? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Which Knife? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41898)

Formerly YB-2 01-16-2018 06:41 PM

Which Knife?

OK......... what's the hot ticket on a good chopping knife these days? I'm looking to slice & dice fresh garlic, parsley, etc., as well as some heavier veggies like carrots, potatoes, squash, etc. My current knife is excellent for meat, but a bit heavy for finer chopping.
What say you?
Thanks.

maxsmart 01-16-2018 07:21 PM

Victorinox knives are worth looking into - well regarded and reasonably priced

Masterlu 01-16-2018 07:31 PM

I’m a Henckels knife fan from way back.

GaryProtein 01-16-2018 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Henckels and Wusthof collection of way too many knives, but I use each one for s specific function.

They are surgical instruments for food. :D

It sounds like you need a good chef's knife or santoku, of which there are many to choose from.

If I were to buy only one, I would get a 10" chef's knife. If you already have one, I would get an 8"chef's knife. I have 6, 8, 10 and 12" chef's knives. Some people like santokus because they are lighter than a chef's knife and have a thinner blade than a chef's knife and you might be one of those people who prefers a santoku, but I prefer a regular chef's knife for chopping veggies. The chef's knife blade is designed to cut with a bit more of a rocking motion than the flatter santoku.

In recent years, I have a slight preference for the Wusthof.

Poppyhome 01-16-2018 07:48 PM

Cutco Knives are American Made and Guaranteed Forever! :yes: https://www.cutco.com/

Ron

Cohibaman 01-16-2018 07:51 PM

Which Knife?

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 893240)

+1

This Henckels 7” Santoku Chef is perhaps my favorite because it’s light, decently balanced, and stays extremely sharp (of course I do tend to obsess about my knives’ edges).

Even though this is their cheaper series, I find I reach for it more than the other Henckels I have or even my trusty Classic Wüsthof 8” Chef that I’ve had forever.

You can find these for less than $60!

Attachment 53575

Attachment 53576

John49 01-16-2018 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 893240)

I was given a Henckels knife by my sister as a present and all it did was corrode... What did I do wrong? Or was it a fake?

Formerly YB-2 01-16-2018 08:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the info. After shopping around on the internet I ordered an 8" Zelite Infinity VG10 (should be here Thurs). Could only find the Henckels in stock in 7" or 10" and I wanted 8". Plus, I need instant gratification on this. ;)

This is what got me started. Chopping the garlic and parsley with a heavy 10" blade was a PITA (as always).

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1516150504

Ron - you posted the Cutco as I was ordering. However, I did order their 4" paring knife as I need a better one of those, as well. Thanks.

Masterlu 01-16-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John49 (Post 893254)
I was given a Henckels knife by my sister as a present and all it did was corrode... What did I do wrong? Or was it a fake?

Henckels Knives don’t corrode.

Cohibaman 01-16-2018 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 893258)

Unless you store them in pickle brine.:scratch2:

John49 01-16-2018 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 893258)

Thanks Ivan, looks like it was a fake then... If I knew where it was put, I would post a photo.

Formerly YB-2 01-16-2018 09:16 PM

Well, drat. Just found out that the Zelite is made in China. Cancelled my order and went with the Henckel 7" Santoku.
Thanks, again.

trponhunter 01-16-2018 09:26 PM

Once you buy Japanese knives you will never go back. The german ones are good for non delicate work as the japanese are more delicate, but they are also sharper due to the metal and the grind angle. I have both - I only use the german knives when chopping through bone - other wise - there is no contest.

The Lost Bears 01-16-2018 09:41 PM

We have both German and Japaneese. My wife likes the Wusthof knives for meat and the Japaneese Shun for vegetables. Personally I like the Wusthof Classic knives best.

Poppyhome 01-16-2018 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 893255)

Ron - you posted the Cutco as I was ordering. However, I did order their 4" paring knife as I need a better one of those, as well. Thanks.

Glenn........... everyone on earth should at least order the Super Shears/Scissors. https://www.cutco.com/products/produ...1ytdnwdo3fuw3y

I don't use them for food but for anything else. Super strong and guaranteed forever. Mine are going on 25+ years.

Ron

matt_zak 01-16-2018 09:57 PM

You'll want a good 10" chef's knife. Personally I prefer German knives, Messermeister & Freidrich Dick. Some good Japanese brands are Glestain and Shun. With Japanese knives you would want a "Santoku" or "Gyuto". Different style.

You pay for quality, however, they are one time purchases. If you're getting (have) good knives then spend the money on a good steel. Freidrich Dick makes the best IMHO.

Antonmb 01-16-2018 10:28 PM

I like Wusthof, or LamsonSharp. I have an 8” Lamson Silver series chef’s knife that is excellent for fine chopping. They’re made in Shelburne Falls, MA.

https://lamsonproducts.com/products/8-chef-knife

wawa_chan 01-16-2018 10:35 PM

Which Knife?

We love our Global knives. We have a few Shun and they are also excellent.

Formerly YB-2 01-16-2018 11:07 PM

Brian - Thanks for the tip on Global. Ordered one of their NI series knives. Like the one-piece design. Time to order a new knife block.

GaryProtein 01-16-2018 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John49 (Post 893254)

I don't know what happened, but I started collecting my Henckels and Wusthofs when I was in college a long time ago and none have corroded at all.

GaryProtein 01-16-2018 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 893262)
Well, drat. Just found out that the Zelite is made in China. Cancelled my order and went with the Henckel 7" Santoku.
Thanks, again.

Good choice.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 893284)
I like Wusthof, or LamsonSharp. I have an 8” Lamson Silver series chef’s knife that is excellent for fine chopping. They’re made in Shelburne Falls, MA.

https://lamsonproducts.com/products/8-chef-knife

I have used the LamsomSharp at a friend's house and it was excellent.

GaryProtein 01-16-2018 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt_zak (Post 893274)
. . . . You pay for quality, however, they are one time purchases. If you're getting (have) good knives then spend the money on a good steel. Freidrich Dick makes the best IMHO.

Yes, the F Dick steels are superb. I can (literally) shave with my knives after using F Dick steel.

GET A 12" steel. It makes sharpening 10" knives MUCH easier.

This one is great: F. Dick 12 in. Multiron Oval Steel

so is this one: F. Dick 12 in. Round Regular Cut Sharpening Rod with Wooden Handle

For the last 15 years I have purchased from knifemerchant.com. Their service, prices and selection is the best.

I generally recommend a regular cut steel, NOT a fine cut steel.

matt_zak 01-17-2018 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryProtein (Post 893314)
Yes, the F Dick steels are superb. I can (literally) shave with my knives after using F Dick steel.

GET A 12" steel. It makes sharpening 10" knives MUCH easier.

This one is great: F. Dick 12 in. Multiron Oval Steel

so is this one: F. Dick 12 in. Round Regular Cut Sharpening Rod with Wooden Handle

For the last 15 years I have purchased from knifemerchant.com. Their service, prices and selection is the best.

I generally recommend a regular cut steel, NOT a fine cut steel.

I use the "Dick 2000" (horrible branding lol) and it works great. We also order from knifemerchant.com with great results.

Levitator 01-17-2018 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wawa_chan (Post 893285)
We love our Global knives. We have a few Shun and they are also excellent.

+ 1

gaboudreaux 01-17-2018 08:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought a new home and updating all of my kitchen utensils. This is the knife set I'm considering (Miyabi 5000MCD). Outstanding performance aside, they are very light and stunning to look at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wpSZKzpOhk

vegaracer1 01-17-2018 09:19 AM

I bought my wife the Pro S series from Henkle about ten years ago .
They have been very good but she got a female version of Lu Flu and started her new system of Global brand Cuttlery.[emoji57]

Formerly YB-2 01-17-2018 12:37 PM

Can anyone point to a good tutorial on using a steel? Been using one all my adult life, but would not mind insuring I'm doing it correctly. Can always learn.............
Should have the new Henckel and Global knives tomorrow and Friday.
Thanks for all the great feedback/info. AAf isn't just about audio. Its about living well............ (the best revenge ;)).

mtroo 01-17-2018 12:56 PM

I recall seeing an Alton Brown video as it pertains to Shun knives. Around 5:20 he uses a steel. It is a good intro video, but maybe you are looking for something more in depth.

GaryProtein 01-17-2018 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 893375)
Can anyone point to a good tutorial on using a steel? Been using one all my adult life, but would not mind insuring I'm doing it correctly. Can always learn.............
Should have the new Henckel and Global knives tomorrow and Friday.
Thanks for all the great feedback/info. AAf isn't just about audio. Its about living well............ (the best revenge ;)).

There are different techniques that work.

The technique I use is HORRIFYING to most people and is dangerous if people were to get close especially when sharpening long knives, but I get my blades much sharper and with smaller blade angles than they can so I don't care.

I stroke the blade AWAY from myself from handle to tip and between 30 and 40 strokes per minute. That's 15-20 alternating strokes per side of the blade. I tell others to step back when I'm in motion.

mtroo 01-17-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryProtein (Post 893387)
There are different techniques that work.

The technique I use is HORRIFYING to most people and is dangerous if people were to get close especially when sharpening long knives, but I get my blades much sharper and with smaller blade angles than they can so I don't care.

I stroke the blade AWAY from myself from handle to tip and between 30 and 40 strokes per minute. That's 15-20 alternating strokes per side of the blade. I tell others to step back when I'm in motion.

I have always understood steels to be more for maintaining an edge and not really sharpening, per se.

Cohibaman 01-17-2018 08:40 PM

Which Knife?

Steels do not “sharpen” a knife. What they do is maintain a knife by straightening out the bent over edge of the knife. If it’s folded over completely, the steel won’t work and it’ll need to be sharpened. When you use a steel, apply pressure and pretend you’re trying to shave off a thin slice of the steel. I can keep a knife very sharp using a steel alone.

GaryProtein 01-17-2018 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cohibaman (Post 893487)
Steels do not “sharpen” a knife. What they do is maintain a knife by straightening out the bent over edge of the knife. If it’s folded over completely, the steel won’t work and it’ll need to be sharpened. When you use a steel, apply pressure and pretend you’re trying to shave off a thin slice of the steel. I can keep a knife very sharp using a steel alone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtroo (Post 893389)
I have always understood steels to be more for maintaining an edge and not really sharpening, per se.

Yeah, I know that, but as long as the knife is sharper when I'm done than when I started, it has been sharpened. :D

ylee 01-17-2018 08:47 PM

I have several brands. My favorite is Henckels.

PHC1 01-17-2018 08:49 PM

Miyabi Birchwood. Period. :smoking:

https://www.knifemerchant.com/images...od_Glamour.jpg

Shrinky Smurf 01-17-2018 09:31 PM

I love knives. My wife gives me a hard time, but there is something nice, in an almost primitive way, about the aesthetic of holding a perfectly matched and balanced blade in your hand. Knives can be very personal. Wustof Classic and Shun are my favorite kitchen knives to date. You can get the Shun steel crazy sharp. The santoku version with the dimples in the blade was a game changer for me. The dimples really help keep veggies (potatoes, onions, etc.) from sticking to the side of the blade, and Wustof’s santoku has enough curve on the belly for a rocking cut motion, it is flat enough to not leave uncut pieces of food sticking to each other. I find a 5 inch santoku blade, paired with a good paring knife, works well as a multi-purpose kitchen blade/combo for me, but it’s a preference thing. Some people like a 10 inch blade. Chef style blades are classic for a reason. Some people like to be able to work knowing where the side of the blade is, using their knuckles to guide. Get what feels good to you. You’ll be less likely to have a mishap if you are comfortable with it.

I like a 2 1/2 to 3 inch blades to field dress and skin whitetail, with specific shapes and jimping to secure my index finger or thumb at times on the top of the blade. But you’ll see some guys at camp prefer 6 inch Bowie’s style knives, and they do just fine. A lot of it is personal preference. Just like audio, it’s fun to play around with the feel of different knives. You will know you have the correct blade for you when it feels like an extension of your hand.

I’ve tried a lot of different ways of sharpening, but have found that hand sharpening on a set of diamond stones works best for me. I use a steel to touch up the edge during general use. It has always worked well for that purpose for me, but is limited in “sharpening.” My grandfather was a butcher before turning to farming, and I have fond memories of him working his carbon steel butcher knife on his well-worn steel. My father also. When I was a kid it just seemed magically dangerous, in some way. I was drawn to it from the allure of a boy looking up to his father and grandfather.

Jayr 01-18-2018 04:31 PM

I have Japanese steel but my workhorse go-to knives are Victorinox Fibrox 8” Chefs knife. I have two of them. Like their balance and grip. They seem to hold an edge for a long time.

David S. 01-19-2018 04:06 PM

Cool discussion!

Must say, my go-to knives are mostly Henckel's 4 star & 5 star. Sometimes like my carbon steel Sabatier slicer. Don't currently own, but have used & admire the Shun offerings.

For my needs? I can do most everything from breaking down a 1/2 side of beef to chiffonading basil with the following knives: Henckel's 4 or 5 star 10 or 12" chef's knife. Henckel's 4 star 4" pairing knife, Henckel's 4 star bread knife, and a decent set of poultry shears.

Beyond that? A decent cleaver & a nice santoku are just gravy. :)

tutomac 01-20-2018 02:08 PM

Shun, LamsonSharp, and Glestain in my kitchen...

mtroo 01-20-2018 02:24 PM

Last year, my wife and I were in Tokyo visiting our oldest son. We went to a small knife shop in Kawagoe City, Saitama Prefecture. The shop was established in 1842 and the current proprietor of the shop is the 11th Machiya Kan-emon of the Machikan knife shop. These knives are hand made on site. The artisan gets the blade unbelievably sharp. This is by far my favorite knife, but not necessarily my most expensive knife. Part of it is sentimental I suppose, but part of it is undeniable workmanship. It is a thing of beauty.

I have 2 Bob Kramer knives when he collaborated with Shun. These are a 6 and 8 inch chef knives. Quite nice, Damascus steel. But just not the same as the Machikan knife.

The one I use most is a Chinese vegetable cleaver. Unbelievably useful in the kitchen. Smash garlic, tenderize meat (don’t cleave meat/bones with it), use it as a scoop. Scary sharp. If you have not used a Chinese veggie cleaver, you really ought to at least explore them. A different concept than a western chef knife, but very useful.

Formerly YB-2 01-24-2018 07:32 PM

Just used the new Global Santoku and it is wonderful. What a pleasure to use. Definitely like the 1-piece construction. So much so I ordered their 3" paring knife.