AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Off Topic (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Humanoids (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44045)

PHC1 10-11-2018 01:20 AM

Humanoids

Never could quite understand the desire to create AI in a humanoid form. It's getting a bit freaky out there with all the advanced robots/humanoids/androids. Why the desire to make "artificial humans"? We all know that one day it will be exactly that but why should AI/Robots resemble humans??? "Sophia" humanoid towards the end of the video.... A glimpse of the very near future when humans and humanoids will coexist. Don't know about you guys but that is a concept I am not personally quite comfortable with just yet. Of course by the time this really takes off I may be too old to give a damn. :D

https://youtu.be/u3vdgJVyKeg

:scratch2:

PHC1 10-11-2018 01:46 AM

The Jia Jia humanoid: "One day beautiful robots like her will change the relationships between men and women forever"... That's something we should be embracing? Hmmm.... Sadly I can see that happening. People are increasingly more alienated by all the technology that surrounds them from birth, find it more difficult to relate to others and perhaps eventually will find it much more comforting snuggling up to synthetic skin than real flesh. One day there will be no humans left but no doubt AI will live on indefinitely. :smoking:

doggiehowser 10-11-2018 07:45 AM

Scott Adams said the day they create the holodeck like in Star Trek it’s the end of humanity [emoji51]

radio times 10-11-2018 08:03 AM

If it's not pollution..vroom vroom..it's gonna be humanoids. A kid in his basement could turn 'em evil with a screwdriver.

For The Love of Music 10-11-2018 08:56 AM

They will never have more first hand experience about power cables

PHC1 10-11-2018 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by For The Love of Music (Post 935230)
They will never have more first hand experience about power cables

Trying to figure out the human audiophile “logic” will certainly cause overloads and burnt microprocessors in AI. :D

Questortapes74 10-12-2018 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 935211)
It's getting a bit freaky out there with all the advanced robots/humanoids/androids.

:scratch2:

The current “products” that are being presented to the public remind me of the Japanese robotics engineer Masahiro Mori and his hypothesis, “the uncanny valley”, from the 1970’s. The premise is based on the emotional response from individuals as they are exposed to “human-like” entities. He concluded that the human response would be more empathetic with less “human-like” entities (consider R2D2 from the Star Wars franchise), and the human response would shift to that of disgust or revulsion as the “human-like” entity nearly approaches human lifelike appearance and behavior (a “near miss” if you will). The entity such as Sophia represents a good example of a “near miss.” An interesting theme that I have discussed with various friends over the last few years to highlight Mori’s “the uncanny valley” is the movie Wall-E in which the two main robotic “actors”, Wall-E and Eve, bring the movie viewing audience to empathize with their story and relationship. However, the various “human actors” seem to evoke emotions of apathy, disgust, and even revulsion to the movie viewing audience. Interesting the dichotomy between the robotic characters and the “near miss” human characters. Thanks for sharing.

Regards

PHC1 10-12-2018 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Questortapes74 (Post 935451)
The current “products” that are being presented to the public remind me of the Japanese robotics engineer Masahiro Mori and his hypothesis, “the uncanny valley”, from the 1970’s. The premise is based on the emotional response from individuals as they are exposed to “human-like” entities. He concluded that the human response would be more empathetic with less “human-like” entities (consider R2D2 from the Star Wars franchise), and the human response would shift to that of disgust or revulsion as the “human-like” entity nearly approaches human lifelike appearance and behavior (a “near miss” if you will). The entity such as Sophia represents a good example of a “near miss.” An interesting theme that I have discussed with various friends over the last few years to highlight Mori’s “the uncanny valley” is the movie Wall-E in which the two main robotic “actors”, Wall-E and Eve, bring the movie viewing audience to empathize with their story and relationship. However, the various “human actors” seem to evoke emotions of apathy, disgust, and even revulsion to the movie viewing audience. Interesting the dichotomy between the robotic characters and the “near miss” human characters. Thanks for sharing.

Regards

Our culture also likes to portray anything bad or or evil through vilification of any creature having human like appearance. Think demons, vampires, werewolves, etc. Perhaps subconsciously we have have the same preprogrammed response to the near-miss human-like robots. In any case, I’d much rather see an R2D2 like AI/robot than a human-like synthetic robot that looks like it was the creation of an undertaker apprentice in training.

Questortapes74 10-12-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 935455)
Our culture also likes to portray anything bad or or evil through vilification of any creature having human like appearance. Think demons, vampires, werewolves, etc. Perhaps subconsciously we have have the same preprogrammed response to the near-miss human-like robots. In any case, I’d much rather see an R2D2 like AI/robot than a human-like synthetic robot that looks like it was the creation of an undertaker apprentice in training.

Yes sir I agree wholeheartedly. The entire concept of “dehumanization” of which is another topic for another day. I believe that the evolution of human interest in the “grotesque” stems deep into the theme of “what is it to be human”? A theme that each individual struggles with in the narrative of “man versus himself.”

Regards

PHC1 10-12-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Questortapes74 (Post 935460)
Yes sir I agree wholeheartedly. The entire concept of “dehumanization” of which is another topic for another day. I believe that the evolution of human interest in the “grotesque” stems deep into the theme of “what is it to be human”? A theme that each individual struggles with in the narrative of “man versus himself.”

Regards

Since we couldn’t even keep Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey (greatest show on earth) alive, never mind the “freak shows” that always gathered a huge crowd back in the day... I’m not even sure what it takes to truly entertain and wow today’s society. We have become comfortably numb... No doubt in my mind all the technology is directly responsible.