AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Headphones, Personal Listening Gear (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   My unhappy EL-8 experience (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=33997)

Antonmb 12-11-2015 07:13 PM

My unhappy EL-8 experience

On November 11th I purchased a set of Audeze EL-8s from a Seattle dealer, about 100 miles from where I live. The dealer was very accommodating, giving me plenty of time to listen to a variety of phones with different DACs and amps. I finally settled on the EL-8s, which I found more comfortable than their larger Audeze brethren. Unfortunately the dealer didn't have the closed model in stock, so they had them drop-shipped to me from Audeze.

8 days later I received the new phones, only to have the right channel dead out of the box. I was disappointed of course, but I run a manufacturing business myself and know that sometimes things go wrong. I emailed Audeze on Thursday evening, who were apologetic, and said "we have experienced some issues when Fedex throws these boxes around". The following Monday they sent me return instructions.

After almost two weeks of no communication, I emailed them asking for status and heard they would be shipping out shortly. The replacement headphones finally arrived 3 weeks after I sent back the damaged ones, but this time the other (left) channel was dead out of the box. I contacted Audeze and my dealer and asked for my money back, since I now have a serious concern about the quality and durability of these headphones. If they can't stand up to Fedex shipping from California to Washington, what happens the first time I set them down a little too hard? And I was frankly underwhelmed and disappointed by how Audeze handled the whole replacement process and the lack of communications.

I'm now waiting for return instructions and a refund from the dealer, and will continue my search for a great set of closed headphones.

2fastdriving 12-11-2015 07:37 PM

Wow, sorry to hear that, I bought some closed-back EL-8's from the same dealer (I am quite sure) and I have had no problems with mine.

Masterlu 12-11-2015 07:48 PM

Tony... sorry to hear this, I still think the dealer should have done a better job to make sure everything was made right quickly. I know that I do. :o

Randy Myers 12-11-2015 08:32 PM

Sorry to hear about your issue :(.... I own EL-8s (got them from Ivan). I prefer open back, but that is a personal preference. Mine have worked perfect. Ivan mailed mine from the East Coast to California, the way they are boxed I would think they could handle being thrown around to be real honest. Very well boxed in my view...

My only complaint would be that Audeze includes a tad flimsy cables, but having a longer stronger cable made by C3 and they are golden!

Antonmb 12-11-2015 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 746438)
Tony... sorry to hear this, I still think the dealer should have done a better job to make sure everything was made right quickly. I know that I do. :o

Right you are Ivan, I'm sure you would have. Had it been my customer the first replacement would have been delivered via next day air the day after I heard of the problem.

Antonmb 12-11-2015 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Myers (Post 746448)
Sorry to hear about your issue :(.... I own EL-8s (got them from Ivan). I prefer open back, but that is a personal preference. Mine have worked perfect. Ivan mailed mine from the East Coast to California, the way they are boxed I would think they could handle being thrown around to be real honest. Very well boxed in my view... My only complaint would be that Audeze includes a tad flimsy cables, but having a longer stronger cable made by C3 and they are golden!

I suspect they have a more current production problem or a batch of bad parts. Too bad.

Antonmb 12-11-2015 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 746436)
Wow, sorry to hear that, I bought some closed-back EL-8's from the same dealer (I am quite sure) and I have had no problems with mine.

The guys on 1st north of the market? I've purchased other headphones from them without problem and they're great guys, I think it became problematic once Audeze was drop shipping to me, since they didn't have stock, and apparently neither did Audeze for the replacements since it took so long. The dealer could have done a better job following up on the resolution though.