AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   PS Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Incoming Power and General Info (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41270)

For The Love of Music 11-22-2017 12:44 AM

Incoming Power and General Info

1 Attachment(s)
Looking at tonight’s readings I have been hovering around 116 incoming volts. The PS 10 converts this to a Steady Eddie, 120V out.

I am very happy with what I am hearing and feeling, knowing there is a steady flow of power to my components.

It has been raining hard here in the Northwest and I am wondering if losing voltage is a factor from this rain ☔️ as the incoming voltage usually hovers around 118V.

2fastdriving was experiencing much less then what I am seeing tonight on the P10 and I know he is very happy with his sound much more now after scoring his regenerator from Ivan.

Not to open a can of worms but Nordost Tyr 2 feeds the power plant, and I will be going up to Odin 1 in about 2 weeks and curious what this will do to the incoming power.

Can anyone argue with facts that there is not a benefit of these components, in a polite manner of course, I have kids [emoji4].

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...4&d=1511325958

Attachment 52724

For The Love of Music 11-22-2017 10:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 52732

Follow up, day 2 - no rain, partial clouds, it’s 68 degrees in Seattle - odd

Today the P10 shows almost a match between incoming and outgoing voltage, yesterdays results, lower then today are in the previous post.

Does the rain change incoming power from the grid to your home and why does it matter if your running proper gear that addresses voltage within the home running your system?

Open for comment, Happy Thanksgiving All!

SL1800 11-22-2017 10:32 PM

Ed in my area we have voltage fluctuations due to high winds. Never really noticed anything just due to rain, but I don’t have my P10 yet. When it arrives I will keep a closer eye on that kind of thing.

2fastdriving 11-23-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SL1800 (Post 881567)
Ed in my area we have voltage fluctuations due to high winds. Never really noticed anything just due to rain, but I don’t have my P10 yet. When it arrives I will keep a closer eye on that kind of thing.

You don't even have to watch it, your p10 connects to the internet and you can see charts of your power quality over time!

PHC1 11-23-2017 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by For The Love of Music (Post 881390)

Can anyone argue with facts that there is not a benefit of these components, in a polite manner of course, I have kids [emoji4].

Not going to "argue" but will point out a simple fact that most high end audio manufacturers go to great lengths to build components with robust power supplies that are very well "voltage regulated", "filtered" and between the step down transformers, rectifiers and voltage regulators, you can expect a steady and filtered voltage of the desired level to feed the rest of the circuitry. Does that mean these devices have no use and are snake oil? From previous experience and I have tried quite a few over the years, they can and do change the sound somewhat. That term "somewhat" is left up to the interpretation of the end user. :D

Best approach is a "home audition" to determine if power conditioning, filtering or regeneration will benefit your particular case. With a return policy in place that is. :yes: Many manufacturers are starting to embrace that type of an approach and I would consider that fair, logical and honest.

DonBattles 11-27-2017 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 881692)
Not going to "argue" but will point out a simple fact that most high end audio manufacturers go to great lengths to build components with robust power supplies that are very well "voltage regulated", "filtered" and between the step down transformers, rectifiers and voltage regulators, you can expect a steady and filtered voltage of the desired level to feed the rest of the circuitry. Does that mean these devices have no use and are snake oil? From previous experience and I have tried quite a few over the years, they can and do change the sound somewhat. That term "somewhat" is left up to the interpretation of the end user. :D

Best approach is a "home audition" to determine if power conditioning, filtering or regeneration will benefit your particular case. With a return policy in place that is. :yes: Many manufacturers are starting to embrace that type of an approach and I would consider that fair, logical and honest.

I agree, in home with your gear is the only way to know what your going to get. I recently acquired a P5 and when compared to my Shunyata Talos I preferred the Talos. That however doesn't mean the Shunyata is better the the P5. If simply means that with my setup the Shunyata gives me the sound I prefer.

GreginNH1 03-25-2018 07:58 AM

While my P10 certainly regulates the voltage swings - which are not as severe at my new home, it has not come without a cost.

Plugging my amp directly into my wall outlet has provided much better performance. I was told by my Ayre dealer that this would be the case. I didn't believe him. I do now.

joe schmoe 03-25-2018 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by For The Love of Music (Post 881390)
Looking at tonight’s readings I have been hovering around 116 incoming volts. The PS 10 converts this to a Steady Eddie, 120V out.

I am very happy with what I am hearing and feeling, knowing there is a steady flow of power to my components.

It has been raining hard here in the Northwest and I am wondering if losing voltage is a factor from this rain ☔️ as the incoming voltage usually hovers around 118V.

2fastdriving was experiencing much less then what I am seeing tonight on the P10 and I know he is very happy with his sound much more now after scoring his regenerator from Ivan.

Not to open a can of worms but Nordost Tyr 2 feeds the power plant, and I will be going up to Odin 1 in about 2 weeks and curious what this will do to the incoming power.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...4&d=1511325958

Attachment 52724

I just acquired a PS Audio Power Plant Premier, I'm not arguing with you don't want to offend your kids! :D

I agree completely with you, any power conditioner/regenerator will help.

They reduce EMI/RFI, they provide a steady current stream and just remove most if not all fo the electrical noise from the AC lines.

Properly shielded power cords will help also, it's all about removing or lowering the noise floor to as low as possible.

Jbags 03-25-2018 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreginNH1 (Post 907949)
While my P10 certainly regulates the voltage swings - which are not as severe at my new home, it has not come without a cost.

Plugging my amp directly into my wall outlet has provided much better performance. I was told by my Ayre dealer that this would be the case. I didn't believe him. I do now.

So then do you still use the P10

ejr1953 03-27-2018 03:34 PM

I purchased a PS Audio DirectStream DAC just after it was released. At the time, I had it plugged into a Furman power conditioner. As soon as the Furman was replaced with a P10 Power Plant, I immediately noticed an improvement in the sound of the DAC.