AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Fuses in Shunyata UK NR/XC power cable mains plugs (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48493)

John49 08-20-2020 03:16 AM

Fuses in Shunyata UK NR/XC power cable mains plugs

Are the fuses in these mains plugs anything special or just the same as used in generic types? Is there any benefit to fitting SR Orange or similar?

Puma Cat 08-20-2020 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John49 (Post 1012029)
Are the fuses in these mains plugs anything special or just the same as used in generic types? Is there any benefit to fitting SR Orange or similar?

Unless I'm missing something, power cables don't utilize fuses; transient current protection is provided by the power distributor. Also, IIRC, the mains plugs for Shunyata's power cords are all potted, so you can't open up the plug.

Puma Cat 08-20-2020 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John49 (Post 1012029)

Unless I'm missing something, power cables don't utilize fuses. Also, IIRC, the mains plugs for Shunyata's power cords are all potted, so you can't open up the plug.

kmmd 08-20-2020 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 1012054)
Unless I'm missing something, power cables don't utilize fuses. Also, IIRC, the mains plugs for Shunyata's power cords are all potted, so you can't open up the plug.

Sure they can. There’s a reason why this cable is never seen on the used market.

Puma Cat 08-20-2020 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmmd (Post 1012080)
Sure they can. There’s a reason why this cable is never seen on the used market.

Ah, so.

I should have been more specific: my understanding is that Shunyata power cables do not use fuses in the AC mains plug.

CGabriel 08-20-2020 06:55 PM

UK power cords have fuses built in.

Puma Cat 08-20-2020 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGabriel (Post 1012093)

Ah, that's good to know. ;) Clearly different localities or regions have different safety requirements.

Thank you, Caelin. :thumbsup:

John49 08-20-2020 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGabriel (Post 1012093)

I know that, but I was asking how good they were and whether replacing with something like SR Orange would be a benefit. I am sure that the specified fuses have been chosen NOT to be a weak link and downgrade the cables performance... At least I hope so, as I have just ordered several new V2 NRs.

Puma Cat 08-20-2020 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John49 (Post 1012103)
I am sure that the specified fuses have been chosen NOT to be a weak link and downgrade the cables performance.

You would be correct. Shunyata thinks everything through, down to the smallest detail.

Some examples as a "case in point": 1) every power distributor comes with a little plastic ziplock bag that contains white plastic shims that allow the end-user to shim the Shunyata footers (which, BTW, are a bespoke vibration-damping polymer made to Shunyata's specifications) so that if the shelf, rack, or board the PD is resting on is not perfectly level under a footer, you can shim it with the shims so that the PD is firmly mechanically-grounded to the surface it is resting on. 2) Even the stick-on feet that go on the bottom of the DFSS cable suspension system units are made of this vibration-damping material, not just some "generic" polymer or rubber. 3) the type, placement, and amount of damping material placed on the inside of the chassis covers for Shunyata PDs has been optimized. If you tap on top of a Denali V2, for example, you'd hear a dull thud, compared to say, the top cover of my CJ CT-5 preamp. No ringing. 4) The carbon-fiber "headshells" for the plugs for Omega, Sigma and Alpha PCs are genuine carbon-fiber, and not just a pretty face; the carbon fiber also provides vibration damping for the power cord plug and components (e.g. the NR filter components) inside. Oh, and now that I think about it, the AC receptacles on the power distributor that connects PCs to the PD itself and the components are also vibration-damped. Forgot about that for a moment. Effective mechanical grounding and vibration damping are really important to realize maximal performance.

So, with NR V2s, you do not need to worry about...performance.

You'll find out; you're going to be very happy. :D

Which NR PCs did you order, BTW?

CGabriel 08-21-2020 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John49 (Post 1012103)
I know that, but I was asking how good they were and whether replacing with something like SR Orange would be a benefit. I am sure that the specified fuses have been chosen NOT to be a weak link and downgrade the cables performance... At least I hope so, as I have just ordered several new V2 NRs.

AMR Gold