AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Off Topic (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   3 Generation Listening Session (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40230)

Antonmb 08-12-2017 05:24 PM

3 Generation Listening Session

Last night my 16 year old godson from the Bay Area came for dinner, and my 30 year old son stopped by. After dinner we settled in front of the stereo, while my wife and my godson's grandmother retired to the sunroom to chat. We started off playing some of my godson's taste (hip hop and smooth R&B, e.g. Kendrick Lamar) from Tidal, and then my son started broadening his horizons: "if you like that, you should try this!" and so on. We progressed through more serious older hip hop (e.g. 2Pac, Notorious) to electronica, dub step, metal, and rock, drawing from Tidal, my server, vinyl, and airplay from my son's phone. We had the volume cranked and my godson was awed by what his music sounded like from a serious pair of speakers. Eventually he had to leave, and my son and I settled in for a late night session playing favorite songs and albums and trading "have you heard this." He introduced me to A Perfect Circle, I introduced him to the Velvet Underground, we each played our favorite Pearl Jam cuts (including my wife listening from the next room), and finally ended up comparing various versions of classic songs, e.g. "When the Levee Breaks" by A Perfect Circle, then Led Zeppelin, then the 1929 original by Memphis Minnie and Kansas City Joe; and "Imagine" by Circle, by Lennon, and then Bill Frisell. My son played "Fiddle & The Drum" by Circle, and I introduced him to Joni Mitchell's original. We carried on like this into the wee hours, sipping a fine old XO cognac and having a great time.

I love trading musical suggestions like this wth my son, and having the 3rd generation there made it even more fun. The technology we have today makes this so much easier as well, with Tidal, airplay, music from server, and even vinyl. All in all it was a wonderful evening, and all of our horizons were broadened.

Still-One 08-12-2017 05:30 PM

Great story. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

jdandy 08-12-2017 06:24 PM

Tony.......Cool story. Music is wonderful, and even more so when shared. Who knows, you may have planted the seed for a new budding audiophile.

Antonmb 08-12-2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 861366)
Tony.......Who knows, you may have planted the seed for a new budding audiophile.

I can only hope he goes home to his dad and says, "we gotta get a real stereo!"

Mikado463 08-12-2017 08:11 PM

excellent Tony, my 39 year old son is following in our footsteps as well, my daughter-law says it's a 'genetic curse ' !

chessman 08-12-2017 11:03 PM

Tony, cool story! My son and I do the same. :)

Blueoak 08-12-2017 11:05 PM

Awesome story. Good family time indeed.

akfaulkner 08-13-2017 01:18 AM

Great story! Sounds sublime :)

My son points to the speakers and says music music! Of course he is only 22 months...I hope it continues bc a lot of good times can be had listening to good music

Cheers

vintage_tube 08-13-2017 04:05 AM

Cool story Tony & appreciated you posting this thread. I'm assuming a lot here -- but guess everyone could answer this as you closed out the listening session ---"Have you seen the stars tonight?"

That song reminds me to play some Jefferson Airplane & CSN&Y.:thumbsup:

Best Sir,

Bob

Antonmb 08-13-2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintage_tube (Post 861427)
Cool story Tony & appreciated you posting this thread. I'm assuming a lot here -- but guess everyone could answer this as you closed out the listening session ---"Have you seen the stars tonight?"

That song reminds me to play some Jefferson Airplane & CSN&Y.:thumbsup:

Best Sir,

Bob

Yes Bob, the line is from the "Blows Against The Empire" album.