AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   VPI Industries (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Prime or Prime Scout (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44361)

jrsystems 11-15-2018 09:44 PM

Prime or Prime Scout

Prime or Prime Scout? I’m considering turntables and was gravitating toward a Prime Scout, but I have to consider if it’s worth stepping up to the Prime. The 3D arm is cool, but I wonder if the price difference is worth it.

What cartridges are recommended for these tables?

Thanks!

dolsey01 11-16-2018 11:53 AM

IMHO the 3D arm is really where it's at. I've had Scout, Classic and now Prime. I really liked the Classic look but prefer the Prime sound. Lot's of VPI owners like SoundSmith cartridges. I had a Zephyr on my Classic and on my Prime. Did just about everything right. Another popular choice is the VAS NOVA. Harry Weisfeld has a few available that he had Steve Leung build special for his preferences. Cartridges are like automobiles and everyone has a different opinion. I didn't see a phono stage in your profile so allot would depend on that.

gadawg 11-16-2018 11:59 AM

I had the Zephyr on my Prime and it sounded great!

George

audio bill 11-16-2018 12:08 PM

There is a significant performance improvement with the Prime compared to the Prime Scout, as would be expected given their price difference. It's not a small change but an across the board better execution of VPI's design objectives which is easily heard in a comparative audition.

Jdsmoke 11-16-2018 09:29 PM

If you can swing it, go Prime. I have the Scout and it’s a great TT, but the Prime is a big step up. Better motor, deck, platter, feet and arm. I also recommend a Soundsmith cart and the Zephyr is great. You can’t go wrong w either.

jrsystems 11-17-2018 07:49 AM

Great feedback guys. So much more than I wanted to spend but likely worth it!

I’ve heard Soundsmith and met the mad scientist owner at a show and was very impressed.

Phono amp is a basic Musical Fidelity unit, likely not worthy of this rig.

jrsystems 11-17-2018 06:04 PM

I just bought a Pro-ject RPM 9.2 with a Sumiko Evo III cartridge. Terrific close-out deal from Audio Advisor. I figure I’ll dip my toe into the vinyl world with a decent rig and maybe go all in with the far more costly Prime/Soundsmith combo down the road.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Poppyhome 11-17-2018 06:20 PM

Good job JR........................that's a good turntable. :thumbsup:

Be extra careful with that cartridge..........that stylus sticks way out. :tears:

Ron

jrsystems 11-17-2018 08:31 PM

Thanks Ron. It does indeed. I got the matching dust cover/cat repellant just in case!

Poppyhome 11-17-2018 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrsystems (Post 940919)
Thanks Ron. It does indeed. I got the matching dust cover/cat repellant just in case!

I was just going to comment on dust for that table, cause without a cover it eventually will be an issue.

Without one, I had good results using compressed air in a can and a fan makeup brush for once a week or so dust cleaning.

Ron