AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Subwoofers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   REL G1 Coming for a trial (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=9205)

Still-One 07-27-2011 10:34 PM

REL G1 Coming for a trial

My local dealer is going to bring over and set-up a REL G1 for me to audition in my 2-channel room. I have owned several subs but have never been happy due to integration issues. If this does't work out I am not sure what my next purchase might be.

Since I am heading out of town again tomorrow, I have scheduled the set-up for August the 8th.

Jim

Tonepub 07-28-2011 01:02 AM

Just got mine...

Let me know what you think!

Kenkirk 07-28-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 184893)
My local dealer is going to bring over and set-up a REL G1 for me to audition in my 2-channel room. I have owned several subs but have never been happy due to integration issues. If this does't work out I am not sure what my next purchase might be.

Since I am heading out of town again tomorrow, I have scheduled the set-up for August the 8th.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Have you ever tried any of the other REL subs? I have a pair of Stentor II's and have set up Studio's in the past. The one thing I have always loved about the REL subs I have used in the past is they were easy to dial in where you did not notice them. It might take a bit of fiddling, but they always do the trick. And I have not had such luck with other brands. I have not played with the new series subs from REL so I am curious to read about your results. Very musical subs!

Ken

Still-One 07-28-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenkirk (Post 185031)
Hi Jim,

Have you ever tried any of the other REL subs? I have a pair of Stentor II's and have set up Studio's in the past. The one thing I have always loved about the REL subs I have used in the past is they were easy to dial in where you did not notice them. It might take a bit of fiddling, but they always do the trick. And I have not had such luck with other brands. I have not played with the new series subs from REL so I am curious to read about your results. Very musical subs!

Ken

ken
I have tried subs from Definitive Technology, the JL F-112 and Martin Logan Depth i. This will be the first REL sub and the reason I am trying it is that it uses the same hi level signal from your amps as do your speakers, plus it is a great looking sub. I do not have great hopes that it will work but it is worth a try.

JIM

JJinID 07-28-2011 10:44 AM

Good luck with the new sub Jim - I hope this one does work out for you and meets your expectations!

Still-One 07-28-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJinID (Post 185043)
Good luck with the new sub Jim - I hope this one does work out for you and meets your expectations!

Thanks Jeff, will keep you posted.

Doug Lax 07-28-2011 11:53 AM

Jim,
I heard one at Paragon 2 weeks ago.... I don't think you will like it.....you will love it!
It is a very very well defined sub !

jdandy 07-28-2011 11:55 AM

Jim.......I have a feeling this time the subwoofer will integrate with your speakers. I credit the room treatment you now have in place that was not there during your last experiences with your other subs. I believe this time the new REL G1 will please you.

Kenkirk 07-28-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 185036)
ken
I have tried subs from Definitive Technology, the JL F-112 and Martin Logan Depth i. This will be the first REL sub and the reason I am trying it is that it uses the same hi level signal from your amps as do your speakers, plus it is a great looking sub. I do not have great hopes that it will work but it is worth a try.

JIM

I have had pretty much the same trouble with the other subs. If this new REL G1 does not do the trick, try a Stentor. I have never not been able to dial in one of the ST series REL subs. If I can hear a sub, it is not right. I totally understand where you are coming from. I started with one Stentor II and a pair of Sonus Faber Extremas. After a day or two of moving it around, trying different settings, etc. it just blended perfectly. Pure magic. Then after a while I wondered if 2 Stentors running in stereo would be better. This was a long time ago and Richard Lord was running the company. He was friendly and we traded a bunch of emails about running the subs in stereo. My question to him was 'Are two Stentors in stereo better than one Studio? " His answer... Two Studios would be best! :banana: Yea sure! At the time Stentors were 4K each and a Studio was 8K, so it was a valid question. He never would commit to the answer. I decided to get another StentorII and run them in stereo. It made a dramatic difference. The extra sub filled in holes and gave a depth to the soundstage that was not there with one Stentor. I now use them with my Amati's and they were easy to dial in with the Amati's. Good luck!

Ken

Still-One 07-30-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenkirk (Post 185091)
I have had pretty much the same trouble with the other subs. If this new REL G1 does not do the trick, try a Stentor. I have never not been able to dial in one of the ST series REL subs. If I can hear a sub, it is not right. I totally understand where you are coming from. I started with one Stentor II and a pair of Sonus Faber Extremas. After a day or two of moving it around, trying different settings, etc. it just blended perfectly. Pure magic. Then after a while I wondered if 2 Stentors running in stereo would be better. This was a long time ago and Richard Lord was running the company. He was friendly and we traded a bunch of emails about running the subs in stereo. My question to him was 'Are two Stentors in stereo better than one Studio? " His answer... Two Studios would be best! :banana: Yea sure! At the time Stentors were 4K each and a Studio was 8K, so it was a valid question. He never would commit to the answer. I decided to get another StentorII and run them in stereo. It made a dramatic difference. The extra sub filled in holes and gave a depth to the soundstage that was not there with one Stentor. I now use them with my Amati's and they were easy to dial in with the Amati's. Good luck!

Ken

Ken
One issue I am dealing with is I do not want to clutter up the room and finding room for one G1 might be tricky, so two subs won't happen.

I agree with your premise that if you can hear the sub something isn't right.

JIm