AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Japanese Exotica (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Last of the Mohicans... Luxman D-06U is home (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42383)

TOGA 07-16-2019 11:39 AM

Is the XLR pin assignment of Luxman in the same camp as Burmester and Accuphase ?
That will cause phase reversal when use with American Preamp.

GSOphile 07-16-2019 06:55 PM

The unit I had was a demo unit, so this never came up. A concern I had was that the ground pin on this unit was non-existent. Not sure why but also noted in a review I read.

audio bill 07-16-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOGA (Post 973180)
Is the XLR pin assignment of Luxman in the same camp as Burmester and Accuphase ?
That will cause phase reversal when use with American Preamp.

Luxman uses the same standard for XLR pin polarity as Accuphase and some others, which is the reverse polarity of most American manufacturers. So if you make a connection to another device with the opposite polarity it will result in inverted absolute phase. To determine the overall impact on a given system you'd have to determine the total number of such inverting connections in the signal path, and if it's an even number they will effectively cancel and result in correct absolute phase. If however there is only one such connection between devices or if the total number of such connections is an odd number then the result will be that the system's output will be of inverted absolute phase.

To facilitate connecting components of varying XLR polarity, Luxman provides polarity inversion switches on both their C-900u preamp and M-900u power amp (and I'd assume many other of their components, but since I own those I can confirm that they do.) There is a setting on the preamp which inverts all XLR connections (inputs and outputs) from their default to the more common polarity standard, and a switch on the power amp which allows you to select either normal or inverted polarity for its balanced XLR input.

TOGA 07-16-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio bill (Post 973229)
Luxman uses the same standard for XLR pin polarity as Accuphase and some others, which is the reverse polarity of most American manufacturers. So if you make a connection to another device with the opposite polarity it will result in inverted absolute phase. To determine the overall impact on a given system you'd have to determine the total number of such inverting connections in the signal path, and if it's an even number they will effectively cancel and result in correct absolute phase. If however there is only one such connection between devices or if the total number of such connections is an odd number then the result will be that the system's output will be of inverted absolute phase.

To facilitate connecting components of varying XLR polarity, Luxman provides polarity inversion switches on both their C-900u preamp and M-900u power amp (and I'd assume many other of their components, but since I own those I can confirm that they do.) There is a setting on the preamp which inverts all XLR connections (inputs and outputs) from their default to the more common polarity standard, and a switch on the power amp which allows you to select either normal or inverted polarity for its balanced XLR input.

Luckily, D08u comes with phase reversal switch too. This complexity turned me away from buying Burmester 808-5 and
069 CDP a few years back as my surround sound processor
Has hot2 pin assignment which is opposite to 069 . Never known before that Luxman also use 3hot pin as well.

simon44 07-17-2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOGA (Post 973158)
I will accept 50% loss, I will order 08u to use now. I hope It will be a year before the new one really land on my country. And then I really curious is 08 worth the extra money over 06 ? But I just enjoy watching the tray door closing of 08, similar to Esoteric P03.

A thing of beauty!!! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDBSlsMcLUw

TOGA 07-18-2019 05:58 AM

Got email from Luxman Corp Japan, they confirm all D-u series are now discont. And will be available until inventory finished.
New models will be posted on website this fall. Let’s see if they will drive disc drive or not.