AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   JL Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   JL Audio Fathom f113 Question (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45431)

Audiophilehi 03-25-2019 12:15 PM

JL Audio Fathom f113 Question
 
I have 1 JL Audio Fathom f113 that I currently have one cable going from the amplifier output to the f113 mono input.

Would it be better or more importantly can you use 2 cables L/R output from the amplifier to got to the L/R inputs of the f113?

Thanks

jdandy 03-25-2019 12:21 PM

Paul.......I use a single Fathom f113 in my living room system. I have both the left and right channel outputs from a McIntosh C2300 preamplifier feeding the subwoofer. Great results.

Audiophilehi 03-25-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 958500)
Paul.......I use a single Fathom f113 in my living room system. I have both the left and right channel outputs from a McIntosh C2300 preamplifier feeding the subwoofer. Great results.

Dan....thanks for the quick response. I’ll do just that.

crwilli 03-26-2019 08:25 AM

I only use one cable to my F113 v2 plugged into the ‘mono’ input. Just as the manual shows.

What is the advantage of using an extra cable on a mono signal?

IM3CPO 03-26-2019 11:05 AM

I have only used a single balanced cable on my F-113's but I have used dual single ended input on other branded subs in the past. My experience has always been increased gain on the sub and overall better sound, but the subs were no where near the level of quality of JL Audio. Again, I have not used this method on my F-113's so not sure if that holds true on them or not.

Cohibaman 03-26-2019 11:22 AM

JL Audio Fathom f113 Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 958616)
I only use one cable to my F113 v2 plugged into the ‘mono’ input. Just as the manual shows.

What is the advantage of using an extra cable on a mono signal?


Mono signal?

In my system, my preamp feeds left & right to the crossover. The crossover feeds left & right to the subs. While you won’t be able to discern left vs right, especially with one sub, there’s definitely left and right information (albeit not like mids and highs). If you don’t have the second channel, you will not hear all the low frequency.

Audiophilehi 03-26-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cohibaman (Post 958628)
Mono signal?

In my system, my preamp feeds left & right to the crossover. The crossover feeds left & right to the subs. While you won’t be able to discern left vs right, especially with one sub, there’s definitely left and right information (albeit not like mids and highs). If you don’t have the second channel, you will not hear all the low frequency.

Kinda makes sense when you put it that way. :D

Thanks

crwilli 03-26-2019 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Then why do they mark their connections this way? Attachment 58631 And why is one cable all you ever see when buying a ‘sub’ cable?

WTF?

Cohibaman 03-26-2019 05:30 PM

JL Audio Fathom f113 Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 958656)
Then why do they mark their connections this way? Attachment 58631 And why is one cable all you ever see when buying a ‘sub’ cable?

WTF?



Probably because they are primarily used for home theaters where it really is mono? :scratch2: I’m not really sure.

Masterlu 03-26-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cohibaman (Post 958662)
Probably because they are primarily used for home theaters where it really is mono? :scratch2: I’m not really sure.

I run stereo subs in most all my systems, theaters included.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.