AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   ModWright Instruments (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Did 6 moons say something bad about the modwright Oppo-105 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=20753)

taters 04-22-2013 07:07 PM

Did 6 moons say something bad about the modwright Oppo-105

I read it somewhere but when I go to the 6 moons site I can't find it.

DonBattles 04-22-2013 07:39 PM

Is this what you were looking for?

6moons audio reviews: ModWright's OPPO 105 mod

taters 04-22-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonBattles (Post 482369)
Is this what you were looking for?

6moons audio reviews: ModWright's OPPO 105 mod

I don't see anything negative in that review.

DonBattles 04-22-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taters (Post 482407)

I don't see anything negative in that review.

Neither did I, but your OP just said you couldn't find the review. Did you actually see/read it yourself before it was possible changed/edited?

RSB 04-22-2013 09:23 PM

Srajan's Oppo review

I thought the review was highly positive. Although he did decline to give it an an award, saying he had not heard the stock Oppo, and so couldn't tell the contribution from the mod.

Randy

taters 04-22-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonBattles (Post 482410)
Neither did I, but your OP just said you couldn't find the review. Did you actually see/read it yourself before it was possible changed/edited?

Maybe someone changed it. I really don't know.

djwhog 04-22-2013 11:16 PM

the end had some neg stuff:(

JJinID 04-23-2013 11:19 AM

I read the 6moons review when it first came out, and it does not appear to be changed from what I can tell. I think Srajan is a very good writer and does a nice and thorough job with his reviews. I agree with much of his review, but I wonder about his tube choices and how those affected the review in terms of the apparent softness and lack of focus he describes, as I do not hear that at all in my system. I wish that he would have used the Sophia Electric 6SN7s and Mullard rectifier that Dan Wright recommends as tube upgrades and performed the review based on that. He also does not mention the unit having the Bybee Music Rail or Pulse Gen ZX upgrades, so I assume the unit does not have those. I also believe he should have listened to the stock 105 as a basis for evaluating the performance/value of the modifications.

Those are minor complaints though, and overall I do think the review was well done. I look forward to hearing other professional reviews as well as direct user feedback on this fantastic player! :yes:

taters 04-23-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJinID (Post 482658)
I read the 6moons review when it first came out, and it does not appear to be changed from what I can tell. I think Srajan is a very good writer and does a nice and thorough job with his reviews. I agree with much of his review, but I wonder about his tube choices and how those affected the review in terms of the apparent softness and lack of focus he describes, as I do not hear that at all in my system. I wish that he would have used the Sophia Electric 6SN7s and Mullard rectifier that Dan Wright recommends as tube upgrades and performed the review based on that. He also does not mention the unit having the Bybee Music Rail or Pulse Gen ZX upgrades, so I assume the unit does not have those. I also believe he should have listened to the stock 105 as a basis for evaluating the performance/value of the modifications.

Those are minor complaints though, and overall I do think the review was well done. I look forward to hearing other professional reviews as well as direct user feedback on this fantastic player! :yes:

I spoke with Modwright and for 2295.00 it does not Include pulse generator or Bybee rails.

JJinID 04-23-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taters (Post 482690)
I spoke with Modwright and for 2295.00 it does not Include pulse generator or Bybee rails.

Yes that is correct - I believe the Bybee rail modification is $250 and the Pulse Gen ZX is $400 additional.