AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   C2300 Tube Test Day (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46632)

jdandy 09-12-2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 979486)
Dan,
Was this tube testing in preparation for your new amps?

Kevin......Yes and no. By that I mean yes, I knew the new amps were on the way and I wanted to ensure the C2300 performance wasn't being held back by weak tubes. The no part of the answer is I normally have an annual schedule for preventative maintenance that I usually perform each year in June. I was lax this year and let June, July, and August slid by without doing my due diligence. This has been a tough year for me. Here it is September already, so the arrival of the MC75's triggered me to get in gear.

When I perform my annual tube testing I keep records of each tube's numbers, i.e. transconductance, gain, and in the case of the small tubes, noise. That way when next year's tests are done I can refer back to the previous year's numbers for reference. I also test and record the information on all new tubes purchased, again as a reference point for testing annually once new tubes are put in service. I also test new tubes to ensure that when I pay for matched tubes they actually are matched. I have found a couple instances where one out of four matched tubes was way off the mark. I buy from reputable tube venders so getting a replacement happens without an issue. Like everything else, some things require specialized tools. Owning tube preamplifiers and tube power amplifiers practically demands that a tube tester be available.

MarSanz 09-12-2019 10:05 PM

Sub’d.

ken 09-13-2019 01:09 PM

sub'd also for fun, I have a c 50 but for some reason I'd love to try a 2300.

Marmarosa 09-13-2019 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 979359)
Chema.......The higher output voltage of moving magnet phono cartridges negates some of the necessity for ultra quiet tubes in a phono stage. The higher signal levels produce from moving magnet designs deliver a louder signal that requires less amplification from the phono stage circuitry, so the noise floor is essentially masked to a certain degree by the stronger signal. That said, it is never a bad thing to have the quietest tubes in a phono stage, be they moving coil or moving magnet.

Thank´s again, maestro.

Bruce B 09-26-2019 09:14 AM

C2300 Motivation

My dealer frequently asks why I don't "upgrade" my 7-8 year old C2300. Besides the extremely quiet operation, multiple balanced inputs that exceed current models, and the ability to upgrade peripheral components around it< I can never see a reason to trade up(?). Besides, my investment in premium XLR cables is substantial!

Still running with my original tubes............your suggestions for a supplier would be appreciated. (Cryo?) My Anniversary twin MC275's need tube swaps too.

Thanks for making me love my C2300 even more.

jdandy 09-26-2019 09:30 AM

Bruce.......I'm with you on the love of the C2300 preamplifier. In my opinion the C2300 is a superb analog tube preamplifier. It does everything I want it to do and then some. The operating features never get in the way of the sonic performance, and it sounds so good. I don't see myself parting with my C2300. Your dealer is just trying to feather his own bed with the sales pitches about your "old" preamp.

Tube venders I use are TubeMonger.com, TubeDepot.com, TheTubeStore.com among others. SweetWater.com sells 12AX7 tubes, and so does Amazon.

Cohibaman 09-26-2019 01:06 PM

I’m with both of you, I love my C2300. Never giving it up.

Masterlu 09-26-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cohibaman (Post 980738)
I’m with both of you, I love my C2300. Never giving it up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

:D