AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sports (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Anyone for Cricket? Nows your chance. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45985)

radio times 06-05-2019 07:09 PM

Anyone for Cricket? Nows your chance.

The cricket World cup is currently taking place in blighty. Each side has 50 overs (six balls in each over) to outscore the other. If you can stomach the five mins highlights of each game on the 'tube, you might find some enjoyment in our summer sport. A 'home run' is worth six, the 'at bat' can be caught as in Baseball, and if the 'pitcher' or bowler beats the bat and hits the stumps he's out, LBW is if the 'at bat' misses the ball with his bat and it hits his pads and was going to hit the stumps anyway he's out, and if either the batsman is attempting a run and doesn't reach the batting line and a fielder throws the ball and hits the stumps before he gets there, he's out as well. The basic rules.

Still-One 06-05-2019 07:31 PM

Just as I expected from this thread.... crickets. :lmao:

PHC1 06-05-2019 07:41 PM

Cricket=Crickets in the US.

PHC1 06-05-2019 07:43 PM

We've barely warmed up to the whole brooms and ice in Curling that is on tv once every four years... Cricket is probably still decades away from capturing our attention. :D

radio times 06-05-2019 07:46 PM

I see our cherished game has failed to make it over the Atlantic. Just give it a bash chaps, the games are only five mins of yer time, I have to plough through over 10 mins of your NFL/Baseball 'lights. Mind you, I like a spot of NFL in the cold winter months.

PHC1 06-05-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radio times (Post 967506)
I see our cherished game has failed to make it over the Atlantic. Just give it a bash chaps, the games are only five mins of yer time, I have to plough through over 10 mins of your NFL/Baseball 'lights. Mind you, I like a spot of NFL in the cold winter months.

I'd love to watch a good game of Rugby but alas it is not an easy task on this side of the pond. :D

PHC1 06-05-2019 07:52 PM

Now here is a sport that will slap the boredom right out, quite literally. Seems to be gaining steam over in Russia.... https://youtu.be/NTng7F_fRbA

radio times 06-05-2019 07:54 PM

It's a bit like the NFL without helmets and armour. The Internationals can get a bit frisky.

streetspirit 06-05-2019 10:42 PM

I enjoy cricket but it’s hard to catch much live here. I had a buddy of mine from India teach me about cricket so I got the hang of four and six and hitting the century mark. In return I taught him golf! He wanted to learn the game and I got to learn about fast bowlers and spinners! Good times!

Mitch

NZ421291 06-05-2019 10:52 PM

Watching it every night, lost lots of sleep- we had a tight win over the Bangers this morning! Heart in mouth stuff for a while there. Bangladesh will tip over a few sides, I was very impressed by their spinners- very talented.

Still-One 06-05-2019 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radio times (Post 967506)

Baseball = The Cure for insomnia.

radio times 06-06-2019 01:17 AM

Not when they cut out the fat on the highlights show.

Formerly YB-2 06-06-2019 09:06 AM

What I enjoy about cricket (and baseball) is that it is so relaxing. Sit back, pop open a good brew and enjoy being out-of-doors. Have a hot-dog (do you have hot-dogs at a cricket match?) or two. While away an afternoon chatting with your neighbors. All this and it is hard to miss the action, as there generally isn't all that much. Not like footsball(s) (of all ilks), or, especially like basketball or hockey, where you blink and you've missed it.

Mack 06-06-2019 09:36 AM

Cricket is here in US, but it is like a . (dot) in comparison to all the other sports.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/team/_/i...es-of-america/

doguniverse 06-06-2019 09:42 AM

Then you should play Croquet, and not the back yard stuff. Croquet is like playing chess on a pool table. I have been playing for 20 years in tournaments.

Weirdcuba 06-06-2019 11:15 AM

I was first introduced to serious croquet in Zambia by Brits who took the game quite seriously. I was used to back yard beer style stuff, but realized when one of them knocked my ball literally into the Zambezi that this was an entirely different thing.

Jack in Wilmington 06-06-2019 03:55 PM

There is a league that plays at our local park, but I can't get a handle as to what is going on. Is there an instructional video that I can watch? I watch many British shows and there are cricket matches in the shows occasionally and I'd like to be able to understand the game.

Mack 06-06-2019 10:55 PM

Check You Tube...

NZ421291 06-07-2019 12:54 AM

This will help:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/y...-americans-646

radio times 06-07-2019 02:16 AM

Check me as well. The basic premise is to score as many runs as you can. If it is hit by the bat along the floor to the boundary it is four runs. If the batter scores 50 runs it is an achievement and he gets a round of applause. A 100 runs is very special. The fielders are there as in Baseball. They can catch the ball, or throw it to the stumps either end to the wicket keeper or the bowler. If either of the two batters ( one receiving the 'pitcher', the other at the other end) fail to make their ground before either the keeper or the bowler uses the return ball to smash the stumps at either end, he is out. A fast bowler with have a couple or more men alongside the keeper to catch a ball that may be nicked by the edge of the bat when the batsman plays the ball. There are about seven or eight different strokes the batsman can play to score runs dependant where the ball is delivered. It is very difficult to master and time more then two or three strokes if you are an amateur player. There is some movement in the air by the bowlers and movement off the pitch too before it comes to the batsman. A pitcher in BB relies entirely on movement through the air, not so much in cricket. The ball normally swings either away or in to the batsman through the air. A Base Ball pitch is considered a 'full toss' and is normally hit to the boundary for four runs or over the boundary for a 'home run', six runs. There are ten innings to each side. Ten batsmen have to be out in other words. Most of the action happens after the ball strikes the ground in front of the batsman. A fast ball from a pitcher is done six times per over by a fast bowler, who also tries to defeat the batsman's reaction by speed.

More to follow.

radio times 06-07-2019 07:38 AM

If a ball is struck to a deep fielder on the ground then there is normally time for one or two runs, like a base hit in base ball, sometimes he will run two bases, on occasion three, except the two batsmen run up and down touching their bats down behind the batting line each time in parallel to score a run for the guy who has just hit the ball. If one or three runs are scored then the 'at bat' situation will swap around, the 'at bat' will stay the same person if 2,4, or 6 runs are scored by a shot played. After a six ball over the 'pitching' changes and another bowler runs in from the opposite end, so two 'pitchers' can work in tandem doing alternate overs of six 'pitches' until there is a pitching change if one pitcher get's hammered by the batsmen or one or both pitchers are doing a good job and need a rest, or the captain thinks the pitch conditions and/or the batsman are vulnerable to spin bowling/pitching. A bowler doesn't have to be super fast if he is accurate with the line and length of his bowling. There are many changes to the fielding positions as well based on the batters main zone of striking the ball, if he is a lefty, and the pitcher and captains view of the game at that time.

NZ421291 06-19-2019 08:38 PM

A nail-biting win for us over South Africa- Kane Williamson; go you good thing!

Watched until midnight, then up at 5 in the morning- what a finish:banana:

Next up The Windes on Sunday night- more lost sleep:D

NZ421291 07-03-2019 06:25 PM

Let's not mention the cricket today- thanks

:-(

radio times 07-04-2019 03:30 AM

How about a housing analogy then? Because so many of us live in semi detached houses, were always out in the semi's. Never fails, we are the World's unquestioned geniuses at this.

bachrocks 07-04-2019 09:23 AM

Everytime on Friday morning when I walked to Lulu, a big Indian supermarket in Riyadh, I passed an excited group of Indians or Pakistanis playing cricket. I even was spurred to search a little online and was shocked to discover many sites list it as the second most popular world sport, with 2.5 billion devoted fans. Number one sport has 4 billion, of course, football—ha ha ha soccer for us Americans, but football for the rest of the world.