AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Speaker placment advice (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=7727)

1KW 03-21-2011 07:55 PM

Speaker placment advice

I moved my speakers again yesterday to try and improve my sound stage and I made things worse. I tried moving the speakers farther apart again after the 3 D audio was taken out of my system several weeks ago but the sound still was between the speakers ie no extension. I moved the speakers farther apart to form a equal sided triangle, the music sounds too flat and thin now with my LP's unless I raise the volume up. I obviously need to move them again but I am unsure how to set the rake and if I move them closer together the speakers will be much closer together than my seat is from the speaker. :scratch2:

Still-One 03-21-2011 08:05 PM

-Whenever I start moving speakers I always mark starting position with tape for reference.
-You may want to double check the speakers connections to see that they are still secure if you have been moving them around.
-Did you adjust toe-in?
-Make sure you are using somewhat complex music where the performers are not just in the middle of the stage.

Jim

metaphacts 03-21-2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 151660)
I moved my speakers again yesterday to try and improve my sound stage and I made things worse. I tried moving the speakers farther apart again after the 3 D audio was taken out of my system several weeks ago but the sound still was between the speakers ie no extension. I moved the speakers farther apart to form a equal sided triangle, the music sounds too flat and thin now with my LP's unless I raise the volume up. I obviously need to move them again but I am unsure how to set the rake and if I move them closer together the speakers will be much closer together than my seat is from the speaker. :scratch2:

We will get together at some point and play. Perhaps some time in April.

jdandy 03-21-2011 08:11 PM

David.......What are the exact dimensions between your tweeters, and from each tweeter to where your head is when seated?

Masterlu 03-21-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaphacts (Post 151671)

1-800-Get-Bill... :yes:

chessman 03-21-2011 09:03 PM

Bill ... if I go mess up my placement, will you come fix them for me? :D

Alberto 03-21-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 151675)
1-800-Get-Bill... :yes:

Nah, you don't need Bill. Just set aside 40 hours spread over 2-3 weeks, buy 500 ft of masking tape - enough to try at least 40 room positions and 20 different toe ins - and do it the manly way: trial and error. :D

... you lucky guy :thumbsup:. I am tempted to get another pair of SF just to get Bill to my house:scratch2:.

Alberto

cmalak 03-21-2011 09:05 PM

David...In Jim Smith's Get Better Sound, he goes through detailed speaker placement instructions. The jist of it is to start off trying to figure out where the speakers' bass sounds most articulated, natural, and free of bloat. He suggests making using masking tape and measuring one inch distances between each line of tape. You can then move the speakers back and forth by 1 inch increments at first. Once you settle on approximate location you can then make smaller adjustments to fine tune. Once you have that distance from the backwall, then moving the speakers apart from one another and back in is about getting stage width where you want it while not compromising center fill image. On the width question, he has found that spreading the speakers (tweeter to tweeter) anywhere between 80%-85% of the distance from the tweeters to your listening position often gives the best result. Finally, adjusting toe-in is a matter of taste in terms of how much treble information you want coming through. Hope this helps but probably reading through the entire description will obviously be better.

Or you can just wait for Bill (the speaker whisperer) to visit you in April and set you straight.

Good luck.

BlueChiaro 03-21-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaphacts (Post 151671)

Can I come over and play, too? :D

I agree with Dan...get some reference distances & keep notes. I stumbled upon a great setup with my Sophias right put of the box...then, I moved them...oops.

metaphacts 03-21-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 151702)
Bill ... if I go mess up my placement, will you come fix them for me? :D

I'll have to ok it with PMcG first. :D