AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Japanese Exotica (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Luxman MQ-300 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40351)

GreginNH1 10-16-2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 872639)
Greg, congratulations on a beautiful amp and an understanding and supportive spouse!

Thanks Tony - it's not mine (yet). Still need to sort out the pre-amp part of the equation.

wawa_chan 10-16-2017 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreginNH1 (Post 872518)
That's a good question. I was hoping to use the pre-out feature of my Accuphase E-600. After about 5 hours of A/B comparisons, the E-600 sounds just as good as the Luxman using the E-600 as a preamp which leads me to believe that I may have to consider the Luxman 900 preamp (gulp) which was what my dealer had the MQ-300 mated with.

This OCD is getting very expensive and before I pull the trigger on a tube rig, I will probably shop around quite a bit.

Greg: the Luxman preamps are outstanding. I thought my previous C-600f was on par with the Accuphase C-2420. I miss them both but especially the Luxman. Luxman goes well with both Accuphase and Esoteric gear. Don’t be surprised if you hear very little from them... IIRC, I found the Accuphase preamp to act like it wasn’t there and the Luxman almost the same (but added a little character to which I can’t remember its description as it was a few years ago). But I liked it in my system with a K-03 and A-50v. I also liked the C-2420 because it didn’t mess with anything sonically, so I guess it’s what you are trying to achieve. You should definitely A/B in your house if you can.

restock 10-16-2017 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreginNH1 (Post 872518)
That's a good question. I was hoping to use the pre-out feature of my Accuphase E-600. After about 5 hours of A/B comparisons, the E-600 sounds just as good as the Luxman using the E-600 as a preamp which leads me to believe that I may have to consider the Luxman 900 preamp (gulp) which was what my dealer had the MQ-300 mated with.

Maybe the amp section in the E-600 is just that good ;) ...no need to move to a tube amp.

I moved to the E-600 from a Shindo Giscours and Cortese/Haut Brion. The Shindo was a tad more detailed with a bit more PRAT. The E-600 got surprisingly close to the texture and tonality of the Shindo - and this was with the internal phono card in the E-600 which could not quite keep up with the phono section of the Giscours. Now with the C-37 and a better matching power cord I think it would be an even closer call, possibly even in favour of the E-600.

And less to worry about with no tubes...I end up listening more often with the SS amp on most of the time.

GreginNH1 10-16-2017 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by restock (Post 872706)
Maybe the amp section in the E-600 is just that good ;) ...no need to move to a tube amp.

I moved to the E-600 from a Shindo Giscours and Cortese/Haut Brion. The Shindo was a tad more detailed with a bit more PRAT. The E-600 got surprisingly close to the texture and tonality of the Shindo - and this was with the internal phono card in the E-600 which could not quite keep up with the phono section of the Giscours. Now with the C-37 and a better matching power cord I think it would be an even closer call, possibly even in favour of the E-600.

And less to worry about with no tubes...I end up listening more often with the SS amp on most of the time.

restock, you make a very good point. The E-600 is the real deal. I should leave well enough alone. :smoking:

Kingrex 11-19-2018 12:01 PM

Greg, what happened with this audition. Did you get a anyhing or keep what you had. I'm thinking 300b. Not sure which.

Masterlu 11-19-2018 08:47 PM

Kingrex... Welcome to AA! :wave:

GreginNH1 11-19-2018 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingrex (Post 941113)
Greg, what happened with this audition. Did you get a anyhing or keep what you had. I'm thinking 300b. Not sure which.

I decided not to get the MQ-300 due to cost. The MQ-300 is the real deal but careful consideration needs to be afforded to speaker selection.

2fastdriving 11-19-2018 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreginNH1 (Post 941200)
I decided not to get the MQ-300 due to cost. The MQ-300 is the real deal but careful consideration needs to be afforded to speaker selection.

Greg, you should create a thread with a list of all the gear you've owned and maybe what you liked or didn't like etc, along with pics. You've had more gear than I think anyone else on this site besides Ivan. Or it sure seems that way!

Robc33 11-20-2018 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 941207)
Greg, you should create a thread with a list of all the gear you've owned and maybe what you liked or didn't like etc, along with pics. You've had more gear than I think anyone else on this site besides Ivan. Or it sure seems that way!

Yup!

Higgens 11-20-2018 08:47 AM

+1