AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   One of those moments (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=3100)

JDCheek 01-03-2010 03:57 PM

One of those moments

I have spent a great deal of time over the holidays listening to music, on most all of the systems I have. My main system gets a lot of play, and through that to my bedroom, I also listened to many different things over the past few weeks. One of the accomplishments made with the time off and no work travel was getting a handle on the wireless network that feeds the two squeezebox units. Of course, it also feeds the MS-300 server. I had not had a connection there for many months.

Anyway, went into the basement workout room today where one of the squeezebox units feed into a gorgeous Marantz 2275 with Omega single driver speakers. My waistline indicates I have not been attentive there for a while. I flipped on the Marantz, powered up the squeezebox, and with an instant connection to my library on Rhapsody, found "Year of the Cat" by Al Stewart. As it opened, it sounded kinda "hissy" at first, meaning very analog. But when the music started, I turned it up, and was reminded why we all love this stuff so much. One song, a few minutes, very happy.

Just wanted to share. Do you all have moments like this?

f1 fan 01-03-2010 09:56 PM

Hey JD,

yes, I have moments like this. They happen every morning especially when I'm listening to my local classical station or NPR to start the day.

Dave

jetblack 01-04-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDCheek (Post 57166)
I flipped on the Marantz, powered up the squeezebox, and with an instant connection to my library on Rhapsody, found "Year of the Cat" by Al Stewart. As it opened, it sounded kinda "hissy" at first, meaning very analog. But when the music started, I turned it up, and was reminded why we all love this stuff so much. One song, a few minutes, very happy.

Oh yeah, that tune will never cease to put a grin on my face, regardless of whether I'm listening to it on CD or vinyl. :music: Classic!

No matter what recording format, or who the recording artist is, or what system I'm playing the tune on, I will always enjoy 'Rainy Night in GA'.

scarpi 08-11-2010 11:35 AM

I'm 63. I have moments like that all the time. My wife and I have been married 41 years and we remember the 60s very well. When I see videos of the rock groups of the 60s I get very nostalgic. When I am on my treadmill, I many times play the Stones or music from that era. Keeps me young feeling! That's one of the good things about music, it seems to always bring alive a certain moment in time or era of your life. :music:

jdandy 08-11-2010 12:34 PM

Music can be a time machine, instantly transporting you to another time and place. I love that aspect of music.

Still-One 08-11-2010 01:15 PM

Every time I hear Bob Seger's Night Moves or Like a Rock, I think he was in my head when he wrote those songs.