AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cables Galore (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   AudioQuest Hurricane @ CES 2017 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38310)

johndoe21ro 01-12-2017 03:46 PM

AudioQuest Hurricane @ CES 2017

Hey guys, is this a prototype power cord from AQ?

http://www.my-hiend.com/leoyeh2/2017a/SGH_5720cc.jpg

Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

johndoe21ro 01-12-2017 03:48 PM

And the DBS pack also seems to be a new design...
Does anybody have any clue about what's going on?
I haven't found any info on the cable!
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

redm 01-12-2017 04:14 PM

Looks pretty awesome!

audioguy3107 01-12-2017 07:21 PM

Amazing.......3 power cords for the price of one.....question is what price will that be? I'm definitely someone who does believe that quality cables make a difference, but at what point does this get too much?

- Buck

johndoe21ro 01-13-2017 01:13 AM

This was not a thread about power cord prices... I was quite interested in this particular model and I find that there is lack of knowledge about it...
Is AQ onto something? Maybe a new power cord line?!

joey_v 01-13-2017 06:13 AM

Looks a little messy but I can see how that can be a particularly superbly engineered cord.

In the meantime, I'll slum it up with my Audioquest WEL PC.

SCAudiophile 01-13-2017 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey_v (Post 826090)
Looks a little messy but I can see how that can be a particularly superbly engineered cord.

In the meantime, I'll slum it up with my Audioquest WEL PC.

Truly a very interesting picture that has me very intrigued! I had a huge investment back in the days of my 7.1 HT & 2-ch hybrid system (7 pairs of Sky, 2 pairs of Cheetah, 3 pairs of Volcano, 3 YIQ-5s, several Eagle Eyes, 2 Ravens, custom-built Sky/REL subwoofer cables, 2 pairs of 45+foot Gibraltars for my LS/RS and LSB/RSB,...I was a big fan of AQ and their DBS system). Their PCs on the other hand never stayed in my system as they were dark and murky and didn't do much (for me, remember it's only an opinion). Same for their initial WEL Signature digital and analog cables but again, that's only an opinion and was very specific to my system I'm sure.

This picture on the other hand is VERY interesting as it looks as though based upon the fact there is NO mention anywhere via Google search of any specifics on these cables and the hand-labeled tags on each that AQ brought a new top-of-the-line PC prototype to CES. They also appear to be using 1 NRG-1000 prior-generation cable (or something similiar) in there for some reason. Interesting things I see;

- all new DBS (as noted) or possibly just a new shell over the same 72v DBS

- new bespoke power connectors as nothing that I know of, except possibly Bocchino power plugs could take that many and size of conductors in...

- from the size of each part of the braid, looks like at least 3 WILD level PCs or WEL Signatures with their counter-spiral internal geometry but with each part of the path (3 logical conductors) separated out and then more traditionally braided externally....leaves me wondering if they'll go to this approach for their analog and digital cables in this new offering as well. Potential benefits of taking this approach are obvious and very interesting...wonder what is actually inside each one of those parts and how much of it is shielding and braid thickness versus internal conductor network and geometry...

AQ obviously has some new (for them) tricks up their sleeve to show us; it could be very interesting to see and hear this cable if they mean to introduce it to the market...thank you to the OP for posting this. What room was it?

joey_v 01-13-2017 09:51 AM

I sent Alasdair an email inquiring about this new PC.

My guess if it's above the wel... It's going to cost a LOT of money.

In that case, I'm happy staying where I am.

I wonder if they'll name this Wel2.

And maybe Hurricane is the proto name.

I think the new DBS unit looks bulky.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCAudiophile (Post 826094)
Truly a very interesting picture that has me very intrigued! I had a huge investment back in the days of my 7.1 HT & 2-ch hybrid system (7 pairs of Sky, 2 pairs of Cheetah, 3 pairs of Volcano, 3 YIQ-5s, several Eagle Eyes, 2 Ravens, custom-built Sky/REL subwoofer cables, 2 pairs of 45+foot Gibraltars for my LS/RS and LSB/RSB,...I was a big fan of AQ and their DBS system). Their PCs on the other hand never stayed in my system as they were dark and murky and didn't do much (for me, remember it's only an opinion). Same for their initial WEL Signature digital and analog cables but again, that's only an opinion and was very specific to my system I'm sure.

This picture on the other hand is VERY interesting as it looks as though based upon the fact there is NO mention anywhere via Google search of any specifics on these cables and the hand-labeled tags on each that AQ brought a new top-of-the-line PC prototype to CES. They also appear to be using 1 NRG-1000 prior-generation cable (or something similiar) in there for some reason. Interesting things I see;

- all new DBS (as noted) or possibly just a new shell over the same 72v DBS

- new bespoke power connectors as nothing that I know of, except possibly Bocchino power plugs could take that many and size of conductors in...

- from the size of each part of the braid, looks like at least 3 WILD level PCs or WEL Signatures with their counter-spiral internal geometry but with each part of the path (3 logical conductors) separated out and then more traditionally braided externally....leaves me wondering if they'll go to this approach for their analog and digital cables in this new offering as well. Potential benefits of taking this approach are obvious and very interesting...wonder what is actually inside each one of those parts and how much of it is shielding and braid thickness versus internal conductor network and geometry...

AQ obviously has some new (for them) tricks up their sleeve to show us; it could be very interesting to see and hear this cable if they mean to introduce it to the market...thank you to the OP for posting this. What room was it?

SCAudiophile 01-13-2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey_v (Post 826107)
I have been lucky enough to have their newest AQ Wel PC and speaker wire... I'm amazed by them.

I sent Alasdair an email inquiring about this new PC.

My guess if it's above the wel... It's going to cost a LOT of money.

In that case, I'm happy staying where I am.

I wonder if they'll name this Wel2.

And maybe Hurricane is the proto name.

I think the new DBS unit looks bulky.

Let us know what you find out please! WEL Sigs across the board are not inexpensive but bring alot of performance with price regardless of what type.

If this is really a 3-up conglomerate cable of WILD or WEL Sigs, they may have to name it <extremely> "Well-Off" as that will be the market segment they will have to target :yes::yes::yes:

joey_v 01-13-2017 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCAudiophile (Post 826108)
Let us know what you find out please! WEL Sigs across the board are not inexpensive but bring alot of performance with price regardless of what type.

If this is really a 3-up conglomerate cable of WILD or WEL Sigs, they may have to name it <extremely> "Well-Off" as that will be the market segment they will have to target :yes::yes::yes:

No kidding. Wel-off

I thought I was doing well with my newest version wel sigs

SCAudiophile 01-13-2017 10:26 AM

You are (!), this seems to be another stop on the train 😆

bradleyc 01-13-2017 10:59 AM

Could be three NRG-1000 braided, with a single NRG-1000 in that other outlet to compare with? That braided trio sure sticks out a long ways from the back of the gear, could be a prototype that never makes it into production...

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

redm 01-13-2017 03:40 PM

Confirmed. New power cable line coming.

redm 01-13-2017 05:50 PM

Accidental duplicate

joey_v 01-13-2017 05:57 PM

I confirmed it, it's their code name for new top of the line cord even above the wel. It'll likely be ridiculously expensive. Unknown ETA.

LovingMusic 01-14-2017 12:52 AM

Shades of LessLoss.

SCAudiophile 01-14-2017 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovingMusic (Post 826266)
Shades of LessLoss.

Plagiarism is the most sincere form of flattery after all 😆

joey_v 01-14-2017 02:39 PM

Still cant believe how costly this will be.... I think that's going to be my limit on PC

johndoe21ro 01-15-2017 04:37 AM

@SCAudiophile: It's the AQ room!
I have an AQ NRG-WEL, an Everest loudspeaker cable (I believe it to be as good as the WEL Sig loudspeaker cable) and love both their WBY and WEL ICs! These are definitely some amazing cables! Look forward for their new line of PCs! :yes:
The new DBS seems to have 72V judging by its size... I found 144V to be optimum for loudspeaker cables (at least MB, Volcano and Everest generation but I'd say all of them need 144V) and 216V for their USB cables! Too bad it's so hard to find those DBS adaptors... :D

SCAudiophile 01-15-2017 06:18 AM

Yes JohnDoe I realize that,...please look at my comments further back along the chain. My positive history with AQ ties with yours,...I used to hotrod with 144V DBS on my 3 pairs of Volcano (1 shotgun to mains and 1 single pair to my center channel) and other cables in my system. Finding the DBS packs and wire leads was easy at the time,...I called AQ directly and bought them. MD in Chicago also sold me quite a few direct shipped from AQ.

Douglas 01-15-2017 09:00 AM

I am sure this new configuration will be available at various price levels.

I have always believed that their power cables, in particular, are very underrated. I have not found a cable at up to 3 times the price that is better than the NRG10.

johndoe21ro 01-17-2017 06:49 PM

Any other inside info, Joey? :D

joey_v 01-20-2017 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndoe21ro (Post 826943)
Any other inside info, Joey? :D
Cables: Audioquest WBY XLR 72v DBS, Audioquest Everest DBS 72V, Audioquest NRG WEL 72V DBS, 2xAudioquest Diamond USB 216V DBS, UpTone Regen Amber
Rack: Mapleshade Platforms
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w IsoTek Elite EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; HiFi Tuning Supreme 3

I am trying to confirm whether the Huricane is actually above the WEL, my AQ insider answered a simple "yes" to my questions, but I looked over my email and I asked 2 questions:

"Is this the new power cord? Is this above the WEL?"

His answer was yes.

I resent another email:
"Is this above the WEL?"

No response.

So I am not completely sure if the huricane is above teh wel or not, but for sure these are coming.

Interestingly enough, if you read the January 2017 Stereophile review of the Boulder 2150, you will see that Fremer has AQ reterminate the power cord of the Boulder into 2 Huricanes... They list the price there as $1695.

Which means that it must be at the level of the NRG1000.

I am still waiting for more info....

johndoe21ro 04-05-2017 05:21 AM

:D

johndoe21ro 08-04-2017 09:09 AM

Seems like AudioQuest has released a new series of power cables...
http://www.audioquest.com/power-cabl...ane-hi-current

rnrmf1971 08-04-2017 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndoe21ro (Post 859762)
Seems like AudioQuest has released a new series of power cables...
http://www.audioquest.com/power-cabl...ane-hi-current

The link comes up empty on my end. I'm looking forward to seeing what they've come up with.

I had an early, maybe first generation, of the WEL AC cable and it was top class. I kept it for a few years until I found Furutech's to be more my taste/flavor.
The WEL cable had thunderous, tight, detailed bass and matching high end. The only thing that kept me from pursuing additional WEL AC cables was that the mids were a little too transparent or perhaps recessed. It made the bass and highs prominent.
It worked very well for some components, but not all of them.
I felt it needed a warmer mid range to be more balanced sounding, for my system. Nevertheless I still think it was top class.

They are due for power cable upgrades. Most of the updates over recent years look to have been more cosmetic than substantive re-engineering projects.

joey_v 08-04-2017 10:32 PM

Linky no worky

johndoe21ro 08-05-2017 02:41 AM

Ha ha... This is really funny! I guess they've erased this 'unlimited power' series from the site really fast. All I've seen is that they are called Tornado, Hurricane and Dragon (as I recall) and they resemble the one from the picture in the first post of the thread (for the external geometry, connectors and DBS pack). The Hurricane was PSC+ while the top of the line, the Dragon was PSC+/PSS+.

johndoe21ro 08-05-2017 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 (Post 859902)
The link comes up empty on my end. I'm looking forward to seeing what they've come up with.

I had an early, maybe first generation, of the WEL AC cable and it was top class. I kept it for a few years until I found Furutech's to be more my taste/flavor.
The WEL cable had thunderous, tight, detailed bass and matching high end. The only thing that kept me from pursuing additional WEL AC cables was that the mids were a little too transparent or perhaps recessed. It made the bass and highs prominent.
It worked very well for some components, but not all of them.
I felt it needed a warmer mid range to be more balanced sounding, for my system. Nevertheless I still think it was top class.

They are due for power cable upgrades. Most of the updates over recent years look to have been more cosmetic than substantive re-engineering projects.

To me, the WEL interconnect had the same effect as the one you describe (although it had world class microdynamics, speed, timbral richness, thunderous bass and the blackest background something was definitely missing). That's why I clearly preferred WBY. But the NRG-WEL sounds just perfect to me! :)

joey_v 08-05-2017 03:00 AM

I have not heard WBY but I have WEL NRG and WEL SC and I am in love.

rnrmf1971 08-05-2017 11:38 AM

I agree about the black background. One of the blackest I've ever heard.
I still have an even earlier WEL interconnect (labeled Horizon, if I recall correctly) that I keep as a reference. I'm sure I will use it permanently in the future.
But I'm always curious how (and if) the latest model of the WEL performs by comparison. I've never been able to demo or hear one.
I agree it has a similar signature to the NRG power cable.

This conversation is whetting my curiosity in an unhealthy way for the wallet.

joey_v 08-15-2017 06:50 PM

Nrg wel is outperformed by dragon apparently. I don't buy it as I heard a difference between PSS and PSC+. Until they come out with a full assault PSS version, I'm not interested in replacing my beloved wel nrg.

1m Dragon High Current is 4600$.

Masterlu 08-15-2017 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey_v (Post 861957)

1m Dragon High Current is 4600$.

What nerve! like $4500 isn't enough for a cable that doesn't matter. :lmao:

joey_v 08-15-2017 07:05 PM

Lol Ivan

tdimler 08-27-2017 05:31 PM

A 1 meter power cord that costs more than the Niagara 5000. This makes no sense to me!

Coppy 08-28-2017 05:14 PM

DRAGON... because you can.

mulveling 11-22-2017 05:07 PM

In a week, I should have a new Hurricane plus a pair of used WEL NRG cords (2013 make, older metal connectors). All are 20A, so I can do comparisons from the Niagara 7000 to wall, and from the 7000 to an ARC Ref 6. Currently I'm using just an NRG 1000 to the wall, and ARC's stock cord for the REF 6.

An educated guess would be that the Hurricane should have the edge between 7000/wall (where current demands are high), and the WEL between the 7000/REF6 (lower current demand favors metal quality?). I hope that's the case, so that I can stick WELs on the phono/pre and not want for additional Hurricanes/Dragons right away. Either way, this will be an upgrade from what I've got now.

Puma Cat 11-22-2017 06:48 PM

Let us know what you think...

joey_v 11-22-2017 06:48 PM

Mike

I look forward to your comparisons

I have the newest wel nrg

mulveling 11-22-2017 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey_v (Post 881510)
I have the newest wel nrg

Yes I know! Your impressions/writings on the WEL cables, over the past year, have influenced me to work my way up the AQ line. I'll soon be moving into having a pair each of: WEL Signature LP, XLR/RCA, and NRG. I currently have the Wild Blue Yonder RCA/XLR to go with my WEL LPs, and I enjoy them all very much.

As I've gone up in the line in interconnects to Wild/WEL, my system rendered spatial information with a more lifelike 3D quality in a larger/deeper staging area, and the high detail of the silver wire was presented with even more smoothness and a more natural warmth. The all-silver speaker cables (double Kilimanjaro bi-wire) gave much more detail and better transients.