AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Experimenting with Roon digital parametric equalizer (digital vs analog tone control) (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45969)

1KW 06-04-2019 07:24 AM

Experimenting with Roon digital parametric equalizer (digital vs analog tone control)

My McIntosh C2300 has tone controls which I have used in the past for certain recordings. I have been playing around with the parametric digital equalizer filter built into Roon Core software and am pleased to say this is a good alternative if your pre amp does not have tone controls. It is very easy to take the digital filter in and out for a/b comparison. Just set the frequency and raise or lower the gain. For low volume level listening I boost the bass 1.9 dB in roon parametric filter for a touch of low end ie loudness control .

PHC1 06-04-2019 12:20 PM

I mostly used their rather powerful PE toolset for headphone listening. The Audeze presets for their various headphones is superb as well. :thumbsup: Not so much for the main listening system. :no:

nicoff 06-04-2019 10:21 PM

If you feel like exploring and have enough computer power, look into using convolution filters with Roon.
You can create personalized filters that take into account the interaction between your speaker/system and your room.

PHC1 06-04-2019 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicoff (Post 967365)
If you feel like exploring and have enough computer power, look into using convolution filters with Roon.
You can create personalized filters that take into account the interaction between your speaker/system and your room.

Yes, I suppose armed with an SPL meter and test tones, one can play around and flatten the response of the room/speaker interaction.

nicoff 06-04-2019 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 967367)
Yes, I suppose armed with an SPL meter and test tones, one can play around and flatten the response of the room/speaker interaction.

I used software named REW to generate tones and recorded the speaker/room response using a calibrated microphone. Then I sent the files to Home Audio Fidelity (located in France). HAF generated the convolution filters and sent them to me. Then I point Roon to those files and enable the convolution filter option in Roon. You can turn the filters on or off. Huge difference. Much more drastic change (and a lot cheaper) than playing around with cables.

crwilli 06-04-2019 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicoff (Post 967369)
I used software named REW to generate tones and recorded the speaker/room response using a calibrated microphone. Then I sent the files to Home Audio Fidelity (located in France). HAF generated the convolution filters and sent them to me. Then I point Roon to those files and enable the convolution filter option in Roon. You can turn the filters on or off. Huge difference. Much more drastic change (and a lot cheaper) than playing around with cables.

[emoji106]

PHC1 06-04-2019 11:01 PM

Quote:

Cool. :thumbsup:

crwilli 06-05-2019 09:09 AM

Quote:

What is the cost of that service?

nicoff 06-05-2019 11:09 AM

Experimenting with Roon digital parametric equalizer (digital vs analog tone control)

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 967412)
What is the cost of that service?

Below is a link to their website that shows prices.

They offer a free trial. You send them your measured room response and a few music tracks that you pick. Then they send you the same tracks with the filters applied. You then listen in your system and decide if you want to purchase it. They also work with you to tweak the filters until you are satisfied. They gave me filters for use with both Roon and HQ Player. Highly recommended.

https://www.homeaudiofidelity.com/