AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

nhparrot 01-10-2015 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andytts (Post 666026)
Dennis doesn't list any more amps for sale in ebay. I'm guessing he has his hands full with orders?

Send him a message through ebay, his ID there is radioman731.

nhparrot 01-12-2015 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhparrot (Post 665559)
My Inspire 6L6 "Fire-Bottle" build slideshow. Came with a NOS Sylvania 6BX7 driver, a pair of Tung-Sol 6L6-G large bottle power tubes and a NOS RCA 5UG4 rectifier. Dennis also included a 6LS7 driver to try.

DSCF1595_zpse504397a.jpg Photo by nhparrot | Photobucket

Going to stick with the stock set of tubes for a while until I get settle in with this amp. (May try swapping the driver and try it with the 6SL7 Dennis included)

What have other folks settled in with for power tubes?

ObviousCaveat1 01-13-2015 07:46 AM

Happy New Year After All!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 656239)
EL84? There is an EL84 Inspire on eBay right now for $925 in Harley Black.

Got my Inspire!!!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ps7460cf9e.jpg

longbowbbs 01-13-2015 04:41 PM

That is a beautiful thing!

nhparrot 01-14-2015 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonatsea (Post 645367)
So far the gold lion GZ34 and my full music 6SL7 sound the best with my winged C EL34. It is more of a fun sound to me, lots of drive, loads of bass, and the 6SL7 to give it a little HIFI accuracy. Cant vouch whats best for the tubes longevity however

Simon, Can you describe the sound of the Full Music 6SL7? Is it forward or edgy at all?

Thanks
Glenn

Simonatsea 01-14-2015 11:04 AM

I wouldn't call it edgy, it is very accurate and articulate. Love the tone and textures it drives out of my Penta Kt88. I do find that with the 6v6 tubes that I prefer the RCA 6sn7. Still I believe for the full music 6sl7 is my most impressive driver tube to date. Just depends if I want power, tone and textures with great imaging or smooth silky intimate listening session. Both are equally as enjoyable, just Selena on the day. Really pleased with the full music 6sl7 and the 6sn7 will be added to the collection at some point. Look forward trying the (full music) Sophia 274 at some point.

nhparrot 01-16-2015 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonatsea (Post 667111)
I wouldn't call it edgy, it is very accurate and articulate. Love the tone and textures it drives out of my Penta Kt88. I do find that with the 6v6 tubes that I prefer the RCA 6sn7. Still I believe for the full music 6sl7 is my most impressive driver tube to date. Just depends if I want power, tone and textures with great imaging or smooth silky intimate listening session. Both are equally as enjoyable, just Selena on the day. Really pleased with the full music 6sl7 and the 6sn7 will be added to the collection at some point. Look forward trying the (full music) Sophia 274 at some point.

Thanks Simon, I just ordered a Full Music 6SL7 and received a slightly used Sophia 274B that I bought

slefley 01-17-2015 12:18 PM

New Inspire owner

I am new to the Inspire family - I just received my 6L6 Fire Bottle in a beautiful copper color. Unfortunately it has 'just barely enough' power to drive my Verity Leonores. They are rated at 93dB and 8 ohms but I read a review where they measured more like 89dB so who knows. On Dennis's recommendation I ordered a matching SL-2 preamp which will arrive next week. Hopefully that does the trick?

I'll post a picture if I can figure out how to do that on this forum.

Steve

Simonatsea 01-17-2015 08:16 PM

Rolling in a goldlion GZ34 or similar might help to squeeze a few extra watts outta your amp. I saw that ebay auction, looks like you got a great deal, that copper colour is stunning! The universal amp circuit looks a bit different than my 6V6. Love the tube rolling options you've got though. My amp is limited to kt90's and under. Hopefully you can make it sing for you

Simonatsea 01-17-2015 08:21 PM

Are you output transformers wired for 8ohm? I believe the stock transformers he uses can be hooked up for two different impedance's. Another member had to change this in order to get it to work with his 12ohm zu audio speakers. I had dennis install special wound 16ohm output trannies for my Zu superfly's. Just a thought, if you are cutting those watts in half because of an impedance issue it might be a quick fix