AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

pstrisik 10-16-2014 03:18 PM

Traitor!

Just joking. That's what was said to me (also joking) when I posted my Conrad Johnson amp in the for sale section of the conradjohnsonowners forum. I said that I found my way into low power, single ended amps and single driver speakers and it didn't look like I was going to find my way out.

Hope you hang around anyway!

Coltrane1 10-16-2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 644508)
Traitor!

Just joking. That's what was said to me (also joking) when I posted my Conrad Johnson amp in the for sale section of the conradjohnsonowners forum. I said that I found my way into low power, single ended amps and single driver speakers and it didn't look like I was going to find my way out.

Hope you hang around anyway!

Thank you. Being retired my audio habits get juggled with archtop buys...a hot guitar at a great price is a tough lure for a jazz player...I have two different audio systems, so when a good buy becomes available suddenly I can't justify maintaining 2 different systems.

Aercool 10-17-2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 643330)
So, I took a chance on a matched pair of TS6550 - three hole plates. Used tested good on eBay. Seller with good feedback. The flash looks good in the photos from what I can tell. One is labeled Tung-Sol, the other GE. Ready?.... He was asking $150. I offered $120 and he took it! Even they are not ideal, they will give me a chance to see if a big bucks pair is worth it for me.

Okay, it's been a week and I'm not sure how long the USPS takes to get things to Alaska - but I'm dying to know if you've gotten the 6550's yet. Wishing you a calm Friday night to check them out in your KT-* with your favorite adult beverage!

pstrisik 10-18-2014 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aercool (Post 644714)
Okay, it's been a week and I'm not sure how long the USPS takes to get things to Alaska - but I'm dying to know if you've gotten the 6550's yet. Wishing you a calm Friday night to check them out in your KT-* with your favorite adult beverage!

Well, we are both disappointed. The tubes were pretty poor. Flashing was worse than I thought and sound was a bit harsh. There was one point when I heard some static. I removed them at that point and arranged to return them to the seller. So, nothing meaningful to report. I'm going to hold off on more power tubes for now. It seems I like the 6V6 best. I keep coming back to them. Popes and Visseaux are beautiful in their 3D laid back way. The Sylvanias have more oomph and tonal presence. The Tung-Sol GTA's are similar to the Sylvanias though a bit more neutral - may need more breaking in.

I am running the 6N1P supplied by Dennis. Initial listening to a 1971 Holland made E88CC (6922) Philips SQ Holland was a tad bright. I'll give that a chance with more break in. With the Philips, I also ordered a 1969 British made ECC88 (6DJ8) Mullard used/like new. I was putting it in the amp taking great care not to smudge the lettering and dropped it! :sigh: First tube I've ever broken. I ordered another.

I'm circling in with the tubes mentioned above and hope to settle down for a while without all the switching between.

I'll post a photo of the 1951 Visseaux 6V6GT's later (they're playing at the moment). Not often seen and a bit unusual with black metal base and interesting boxes.

pstrisik 10-18-2014 01:25 PM

Here are the Visseaux 6V6GT's........

http://i.imgur.com/LWmZJAU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0ggjgX9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kbGEP6u.jpg

Aercool 10-18-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 644820)
Well, we are both disappointed.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. There are definitely a lot on eBay that have the getters/flashing pretty eroded away. I got lucky with my purchase. The 6550's really haven't been out of my amplifier since.

Did you get the Visseauxs from Kevin at Upscale Audio? He used to sell those but they appear to be gone now.

pstrisik 10-18-2014 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aercool (Post 644855)
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. There are definitely a lot on eBay that have the getters/flashing pretty eroded away. I got lucky with my purchase. The 6550's really haven't been out of my amplifier since.

Did you get the Visseauxs from Kevin at Upscale Audio? He used to sell those but they appear to be gone now.

No, I got them from a guy that has a site called HiTestGuitars. I emailed Kevin asking his opinion about whether he thought the Visseauxs or the Popes were better if the cost were ignored. I guess I was ignored as I never got a response.

Simonatsea 10-19-2014 02:36 AM

That seems like a great site for NOS gems. Now the real question is, money not being a consideration, do you prefer the Popes to the Vissaeux's? Those Mazda 6v6gt's look intriguing as well.... My pavane treasure tubes fell through at parts connection, seems they only had singles left.... I have put my SED winged C EL34 back in my amp for the past couple of days..... These things are base monsters! A little too much for my taste, really have to be in the sweet spot to hear the full range. But I never knew my Zu superflys could move that much air!

pstrisik 10-19-2014 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonatsea (Post 644927)
That seems like a great site for NOS gems. Now the real question is, money not being a consideration, do you prefer the Popes to the Vissaeux's? Those Mazda 6v6gt's look intriguing as well.... My pavane treasure tubes fell through at parts connection, seems they only had singles left.... I have put my SED winged C EL34 back in my amp for the past couple of days..... These things are base monsters! A little too much for my taste, really have to be in the sweet spot to hear the full range. But I never knew my Zu superflys could move that much air!

I'm not ready to say regarding Pope/Visseaux. They are very similar. I have to go back and forth a bit.

I have a pair of the =C= EL34 also. They are what got me interested in that type. They do have strong bass. Not too strong though, IMO. I thought the same thing about my single driver Omegas when I put those tubes in.

Aercool 10-20-2014 11:31 PM

What rectifier does Dennis recommend you use with the EL-34?