AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Ayre (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Power conditioning for Ayre components? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45128)

dbphd 02-14-2019 06:33 AM

Power conditioning for Ayre components?

I'm looking at a listing for a PS Audio PPP, essentially a device that generates a 60 Hz sinusoid, to power my QX-5/20, KX-5/20, and VX-5/20. It seems a clever idea and reviewers praise it, but I wonder if it would add any value, given reviewers typically remark about the darkness of the background Ayre power supplies provide.

Gibalok 02-14-2019 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbphd (Post 953259)
I'm looking at a listing for a PS Audio PPP, essentially a device that generates a 60 Hz sinusoid, to power my QX-5/20, KX-5/20, and VX-5/20. It seems a clever idea and reviewers praise it, but I wonder if it would add any value, given reviewers typically remark about the darkness of the background Ayre power supplies provide.

I would go with Torus Power RM 8/16. Noise free/black background and emotional peaks. I would also conaider good power cable. I have PAD Dominus for VX-5/20 and Siltech Ruby Hill 2 for KX-5/20.

All I want just only the second VX-5 for bi-amp. Ayre terrific gear

RLF 02-18-2019 11:54 PM

I’m using Synergistic Research PowerCell 12 with Synergistic Research Galileo power cords to power all my Ayre gear. I have dedicated 10 gauge AC lines to the stereo and at first powered my Ayre mono blocks directly into their own dedicated AC line, but much to my surprise, the amps became more dynamic through the PowerCell.

GrubTheHedgehog 02-19-2019 12:54 AM

Transparent Gen 5 Reference Cords and Isolators all the way. Great investment.

will 02-24-2019 12:37 AM

Please convince me why added conditioning is needed when Ayre has world class EMI and RFI filtering built in to their products already.

will 02-24-2019 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbphd (Post 953259)

Exactly. I'm not knocking those who have spent extra on external conditioning. I just want to hear the rationale.

W9TR 02-24-2019 09:47 AM

Will,
I can’t. Ayre is very well designed gear already. Depending on your power quality a conditioner may or may not make a difference.

The only way for you to know is to try one out for a period of time to see if it makes an improvement.

Hopefully your dealer can let you audition one.

Tom

GrubTheHedgehog 02-26-2019 09:00 AM

Power conditioning for Ayre components?

The notion that Ayre gear or the Ayre conditioner has immunized Ayre products from the effects of after market cables and conditioners is just wrong. Ayre never made such a claim, and the fact that they felt the power issue was important enough to build filtering into the device itself militates in favor of the potential efficaciousness of after market solutions that do even more, better filtering. Think of it as an upgrade to an already great power supply.

I have never heard Ayre gear sound better than when paired with some or the best power accessories.

peacefulcargo 02-28-2019 05:39 PM

I can say from my view, having owned the KXR and then the KXR Twenty, the two things that brought a % increase in sound enhancement performance was using a QX4 by Nordost , Qkore Nordost and HiFi Tuning Fuse Ag. Had the Ayre through about 5 different systems A-B-ing with and without.

will 02-28-2019 10:47 PM

Thanks for your responses. I appreciate them. Tom you're right. The only way to know is to audition in my system.