AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Acoustical Treatments (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How to soundproof my apartment (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=37040)

buggs1a 09-12-2016 12:58 AM

How to soundproof my apartment

I'm wanting to soundproof my apartment. I don't want to hear others as much as possible and I want to be able to listen to music and watch tv at a decent volume.

I'm sure there's something out there but I've no idea what.

jdandy 09-12-2016 12:21 PM

buggs1a.......Do you own or rent this apartment? If renting, whatever you end up doing should be temporary and removable without damage. You also need to be realistic. You will never be able to "soundproof" an apartment. Soundproofing is complex and requires a purpose built enclosure. This is not obtainable in an apartment.

There are any number of options available that can help absorb sound, although the majority of them work primarily in the midrange frequencies. Low frequencies below 150 Hz are far more difficult to control. You may want to look into sound absorption panels. There are also sound absorption blankets that can be temporarily hung floor to ceiling without damage to the walls. Sound absorption blankets are not very attractive though, and can make a room look like a padded cell.

You may want to seek the help of a professional acoustician. That initial investment will help you focus your time, energy, and money where the best results can be achieved.

buggs1a 09-12-2016 01:13 PM

I will be renting.

I'm dealing with King county housing authority in Washington state. I've told them what I need but they seem pretty stupid by saying nothing or they don't know anything.

they keep giving me places that don't meet my needs. The last place was 50 yards from a train. So I turned it down. It was loud! Would there have been anyway to make it so I couldn't hear it? Or way less?

I'm desperate because of my mental illnesses and kcha being so difficult to work with me.

Higgens 09-12-2016 01:15 PM

Your best option might be a good pair of headphones

djwhog 09-12-2016 04:40 PM

Yeah you would need to build a wall inside a wall and insulate, even then the bass if even a little strong will go through the floor, ceiling etc. This is even worse in a 2 story.

You could add panels, that is costly but also would only help a small amount.

I would go the Audeze LCD-X headphone if you want real full sound. Sorry I wish there was something better to say :)

buggs1a 09-12-2016 05:26 PM

Headphones out of the question.
I know what I'm after is possible I just don't know anything.

buggs1a 09-12-2016 06:00 PM

Thanks.
Is there panels that will reduce the noise so neighbors won't hear unless I crank it up?
Sometime kinda simple?

greekgod 09-12-2016 06:34 PM

I've been in this same situation myself and the problem with sound is that it is like water. Even if you completely soundproof a wall, the sound will just go around the wall. There are some apartment buildings that are built to be sound resistant but those are extremely rare and nearly impossible to find. I eventually gave up and switched to headphones. Giving up my speakers was a painful decision.

Cohibaman 09-12-2016 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greekgod (Post 803203)
I've been in this same situation myself and the problem with sound is that it is like water. Even if you completely soundproof a wall, the sound will just go around the wall. There are some apartment buildings that are built to be sound resistant but those are extremely rare and nearly impossible to find. I eventually gave up and switched to headphones. Giving up my speakers was a painful decision.

+1

You can't do what you'd like to do unless you start from scratch. That virtually eliminates an apartment that you can't modify. Even if you could modify it, it would be very difficult, costly, and mostly irreversible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgens (Post 803158)
Your best option might be a good pair of headphones

+1

buggs1a 09-12-2016 09:13 PM

I'm sure this is possible darn it :) it's gotta be I think.
I've read something about something you can put around the front door to lower the sound vol that goes out. And I've read that there are things to do but I've not heard from companies/ experts who this is their job.

I guess I need to talk with them folk and also see if King county housing authority will work with me somehow.