AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   For Your Consideration... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48453)

70sMac 08-10-2020 03:58 PM

For Your Consideration...

As this thread concerns new subscribers, I thought that this might be a great place to make a suggestion.

I first joined the AAF about 21 months ago, just after we moved into our first "post Katrina" home. You see, we had a decent [for us] 2-channel stereo system, back in the early-2000s, that we enjoyed in our NOLA home. Once we were [literally] blown out of the Big Easy, however, most of our stereo equipment went into air-controlled storage.

I won't bore anyone with what happened when we attempted to build a new home, but let if suffice to say that it involved a protracted zoning court case that effectively sucked the life out of our construction budget. Fast forward ...about 13 years... and, sometime in 2018, we decided to delay our construction "dream" and buy a house adjacent to our now -- thank you, Judge -- approved building lot.

This post isn't intended as a whine or a whinge about our legal woes, but rather to point out that we spent many years renting in condo "environments" that weren't at all conducive to enjoying one's stereo equipment. In fact, the last condo we rented came with a strict "noise covenant" that practically made setting up anything with a real amp illegal...so our Mac equipment sat in storage ... for many years ... and I fell way behind the audio learning curve, which brings me back to the AAF.

After we moved into our present home, in late 2018, we finally pulled our Mac equipment out of storage and set it up on the Lovan racks we employed back in NOLA. With my mind set on getting back into enjoying our CD collection -- which had been sporadically added to over the "quiet years" -- we purchased a Sony x800M2 player that we thought capable of playing the SACDs that we have added to our collection.

Well, as it has now been explained to me -- via a thread I started right here on the AAF -- we need a DAC with HDMI capability to use the Sony X800M2 with our [now old] Mac MX-130. As we don't have the funds to purchase the DAC equipment that's been suggested to us, we decided to, instead, purchase a new Oppo 203 player to handle our SACDs and DVD-As. It arrived today and I am presently sitting in my office enjoying the first SACD I've ever heard on our Mac 2-channel stereo setup...which brings me to the suggestion.

As I have been moving around the AAF, desperately trying to catch up with the melding of Audio & Video & [now] Digital, I've noticed that I'm not the only member who invested in a player like ours. In fact, there are quite a few signatures on the AAF that have the Oppo brand in them. This being the case, I was thinking that adding an Oppo discussion board to the AAF would give owners of the brand a great venue. It might even help with the subscription list, as well. :thumbsup:

I apologize for the eye strain, but, as we say below the MDL, it "ain't" easy to explain why I fell so far behind the learning curve without some details. Thank you for you time and your kind consideration.

Masterlu 08-10-2020 06:05 PM

Sorry, this topic is not open for public discussion. It is however something that can always be sent to me via PM.