AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   D'Agostino Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   First Audtion of Relentless (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43984)

Still-One 10-04-2018 12:25 PM

First Audtion of Relentless

1 Attachment(s)
Last evening I had the opportunity to see and hear Dan D'Agostino's latest offering the Relentless amps. The evening began with the invitees gathering at a local restaurant for drinks and dinner. There we had time to mingle with Dan D'Agostino, Karen Sumner President of Transparent Audio and Mike Latvis of Harmonic Resolution Systems. When we sat down to eat Dan took the opportunity to explain how the design of the Relentless is unlike any other amp on the market. I am not sufficiently technical to do justice to his explanation.

After dinner we drove back to Paragon where we had our first opportunity to see and hear these amazing amps. Until you have the opportunity to see them in person you probably cannot grasp how massive the Relentless are. I have attached a photo where you can see a Momentum amp sitting just behind these monsters. They look like toys. Volume wise I think you could fit "at least" 6 possibly 8 Momentum amps into that of the Relentless. The industrial design and fit and finish is as fine as "I" have ever seen on a audio product. The amps were sitting on HRS stands custom designed for the Relentless. Mike's team did a excellent job in fit and function.

The system we listened to consisted of:
D'Agostino Relentless Amps
D'Agostino Momentum Pre amp
D'Agostino Phono stage
Clearaudio Statment Turntable system
dCS Vivaldi stack
Transparent Opus cabling
Wilson XLF's

Each small group had the opportunity to hear several different tracks. One of those used was a Dave Wilson recording of "Liberty Fanfare". I have never heard a more realistic presentation of an orchestra. The amps handled it all so effortlessly.

They are big, beautiful, brawny and for those fortunate enough to have the space and funds probably their last amps.

Canonicus 10-04-2018 02:30 PM

They look like small nuclear reactors for music! Must have been something special to hear them.

Antonmb 10-04-2018 02:51 PM

Thanks for that update Jim, it must have been quite an impressive presentation. I just heard from my dealer that Dan will be in Seattle next month, I’m looking forward to it.

Hondo 10-04-2018 03:45 PM

Jim is not overstating the visual impression they leave on you in person. I am not sure I will ever duplicate the experience of last night and the goose bumps I had on a couple different passages. Over the last seven years I have been fortunate to hear some great presentations but that one takes the CAKE. Jim for sure knows what I mean by that.

SuperD 10-04-2018 04:57 PM

Hi Jim,
I haven't listened to these yet, hopefully soon enough. I imagine you have a similar sound signature compared to what you heard at Paragon and am hoping you could offer any description of what the Relentless brought to the table. I'm guessing an absolute grip on the music and a completely effortless sound. Were the first few watts visceral? I understand its a lot to take in, but I am curious.

Dave

Still-One 10-04-2018 05:20 PM

Dave
One of the points Dan made was that because of this new design they will sound as good at low volumes at they will turned up a bit. Three of the tracks were played at what most of us would say was normal volume, not at all loud. They did turn it up a bit for Dave Wilson's classical recording but it wasn't strained more like what you get when a orchestra hits crescendos in a concert hall.

I do think these amps with the XLF's could overpower many rooms. As with any component I would hope potential buyers have a proper sized room for both the power and scale of these amps

SuperD 10-04-2018 05:27 PM

Jim,
Thanks for the report. What a great combo to hear.

Still-One 10-04-2018 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperDave (Post 934320)
Jim,
Thanks for the report. What a great combo to hear.

As Doug (Hondo) noted above Paragon has put on some wonderful demos over the years. This one is the new standard against which all others will be measured.

Most people know that I do not easily get impressed with vinyl demos. One track last evening elicited a comment from Dan D'Agostino indicating as to how impressive a turntable was the Clearaudio Solution. As I understand Larry has the only unit in the US on display in a store.

For The Love of Music 10-05-2018 12:07 AM

The thing is a beautiful beast, I wonder if at some point Relentless would be made as a stereo version?

BillK 10-10-2018 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 934318)
Dave
One of the points Dan made was that because of this new design they will sound as good at low volumes at they will turned up a bit. Three of the tracks were played at what most of us would say was normal volume, not at all loud. They did turn it up a bit for Dave Wilson's classical recording but it wasn't strained more like what you get when a orchestra hits crescendos in a concert hall.

I wonder if those characteristics will make it down into revisions of the Momentum and Progression amps.