AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Oppo UDP-203 arrived today (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41265)

jdandy 11-21-2017 08:10 PM

Oppo UDP-203 arrived today

https://www.avforums.com/image.php?i...51bc8f_3x3.jpg

My new Oppo UDP-203 ultra high def 4K HDR Blu-ray player arrived today. It is quite attractive. Owning a number of Oppo Blu-ray players made setup a snap. I never even opened the owner's manual. The player comes with a 6 foot HDMI cable that Oppo makes a point of saying is a premium HDMI cable. I am using this cable for the time being but will ultimately make a comparison of it with the Wireworld Starlight 7 HDMI cable I had been using on the Oppo BDP-95 that the UDP-203 replaced. It will be interesting to note the differences, if any. I am only using the stereo outputs to feed the analog signal to my C2300/MC452/PMC EB1i sound system in the living room.

I have the UDP-203 Ethernet connected to my home network so as soon as I powered it on I was asked if I wanted to download the latest firmware. I clicked on YES and it took less than 2 minutes for the latest firmware to download, install, and reboot the player.

The remote control is a bit different from previous Oppo Blu-ray players. Some control buttons have been relocated and the back light for the buttons is now motion activated. I am going to watch how much quicker the batteries become exhusted with this feature turned on. If it consumes battery power at a quicker rate I will defeat the motion activation feature for back lighting.

Once connections were made and setup was complete I watched the only 4K Blu-ray movie that arrive yet, Mechanic Resurrection with Jason Statham and Jessica Alba. It is an action thriller that looks incredibly sharp and detailed on the new Sony XBR65X900E television recently installed in the living room. The clarity of the picture is astonishing. Needless to say, I will be purchasing new movies in 4K. The sound, even in two channel was awe inspiring. My JL Audio Fathom f113 subwoofer had the couch and my lounge chair pulsing and vibrating with the explosions. The sound from the UDP-203 is excellent. The picture is fabulous. The Oppo and the Sony have transformed my living room movie watching experience.

PHC1 11-21-2017 08:25 PM

Congrats on your Oppo UDP Dan! Fantastic value and an outstanding product. Both the Video and Audio, the DAC included are above and beyond performance that can be expected at this price level. :thumbsup: I am enjoying my Oppo daily. This is my 3rd Oppo product over the years and they have yet to disappoint.

W9TR 11-21-2017 09:44 PM

Dan, congrats on the new OppO. I will be doing the same thing soon - replacing my BDP-95 with a 203 or 205. Not sure which, yet.
Tom

djwhog 11-21-2017 10:21 PM

Nice Dan congrats

PS is the remote like my 205, if you just even set it on a table and tap the table mine has a sensor that lights up the remote even it I tap my coffee table.
That 203 is going to be great for you guys :)

bart 11-22-2017 05:50 AM

Congrats Dan!
I'm not ready yet for 4K but it's seriously starting to itch.

And I like Jason Statham also. :D

ChicagoDog 11-22-2017 08:46 AM

One of the last pieces I'm considering in my complete system build is a new dvd player. As much as the ocd side of me wants an all McIntosh system, I've heard a lot of good things about Oppo players. Just now briefly glanced at the 203 model and it's about 1/4 the cost of used McIntosh mvp881/891, which don't do 4k disk anyway, so no real comparison. What is the main difference between the Oppo 203 and 205? At first glance it seems the 203 would be more than enough for me.

djwhog 11-22-2017 09:24 AM

the sound stages the 205 is geared more towards the audiophile with xlr and rca multi ports, dacs upgraded etc.

Video is the same as far as I know.

stollen 11-22-2017 10:18 AM

I have had my 203 for several months now connected to an Epson LS10000 projector and 7.1 theater system and absolutely love it. Picture quality is great and for me the "strip metadata" feature works really well since my projector can handle a 4k input signal but is not HDR capable. One of my favorite 4k discs (visually anyway) I have gotten so far is Passengers.

I have rips of many of my non 4k blue ray discs on my server to avoid having stacks of discs laying around and my only complaint is they have Cinavia protection enabled on the 203 when streaming from the network (Oppo didn't have that in previous players) so on movies where that protection is enabled I have to actually use the physical disc. Not a huge deal, but slightly annoying.

nicoff 11-22-2017 02:20 PM

Very nice write up! Enjoy it!
By the way, Netflix has 4K movies for streaming so you may be able to save by not having to purchase certain movies.
Here is a step by step for streaming 4K from Netflix.
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-stre...-in-4k-1847830

Puma Cat 11-22-2017 03:02 PM

The other cool thing about the Oppo 203 is that it is a Roon endpoint, so those of you that would like to use Roon can use the Oppo for this.