AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Travel & Leisure (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Vivez la France (& Spain) (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=39303)

Formerly YB-2 05-06-2017 03:13 PM

Vivez la France (& Spain)

Headed across the pond. Fly into CDG and TGV-it to Rennes, where we pick the car. Up to Cancale, back thru Dinan, and then on to Quimper for a few days in Brittany. Brest, Concarneau, etc. Then down to Carnac (long live the Coneheads) and Saint-Pierre-Quiberon on our way to a couple of days in Limoges. From there, continue on south to Lascaux caves and then Roquefort-sur-Soulzon (think bleu cheese). Spending a couple of days in a chateau that overlooks le Viaduc de Millau. From there we are going thru Andorra (a new country to us) on our way to Pau. After a couple of days in Pau we are headed to San Sebastian, Spain for a week of R&R. Then another week of R&R back in Saint Jean de Luz before taking the TGV from Bordeaux back to Paris. 3-days in La Ville-Lumière before winging our way home. Good thing we have 4+ weeks, or we might not be able to fit it all in. While visiting and seeing all the sights, the local foods and vin will be be the highlight of the trip for us. All I can say is "yum" (or is that j'adore).

Still-One 05-06-2017 03:54 PM

Sounds like a great trip. Four week trips aren't in the cards now. I can't be away from my dog that long.

We are heading for what has become our annual trip to Europe in about 5 weeks. This year it will be two weeks in Spain and Portugal.

bart 05-06-2017 04:51 PM

Looks like a great trip Glenn.
I know most of the places you'll visit.
You're in for a treat.:thumbsup:

Jean-Marc jmajma 05-06-2017 05:55 PM

Fantastic trip, enjoy!

When in Cancale, don't miss Olivier Roellinger restaurant and/or hotel; one of the top of french chefs.

And don't miss oysters and seafood in Brittany.

Formerly YB-2 05-07-2017 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean-Marc jmajma (Post 845535)
Fantastic trip, enjoy!

When in Cancale, don't miss Olivier Roellinger restaurant and/or hotel; one of the top of french chefs.

And don't miss oysters and seafood in Brittany.

Thanks for the tip on the Olivier Roellinger in Cancale. We'll do our best to get in. By the time we leave Brittany I hope to have eaten so many oysters that I may start growing a pearl. :thumbsup: It is not possible to have too many oysters or too much champagne. :yes:

As luck would have it, Anthony Bourdain is visiting San Sebastian for his "Parts Unknown" show on CNN this evening. Perfect timing for our trip.

Formerly YB-2 06-05-2017 07:27 PM

Had everything set up for this wonderful trip and had to cancel. I ended up in the hospital (HUP) for 5-days with congestive heart failure. So, with all the new drugs and needing some 'recovery' time, we had to opt out. Every place & mode of transportation was most understanding, with the exception of the 2-days in Pau with IBIS. Have now replaced with a 36-day cruise several weeks later from NYC to Sydney, which will go thru the Panama Canal and take in places like Easter Island and Tahiti. Am thinking we will not suffer (except for my low-salt diet) and will reschedule France & Spain for next year.

Still-One 06-05-2017 07:39 PM

Glenn
Good to hear you came out okay. We enjoy cruising too. Hope to add one that stops in New Zealand in the future. One of the few countries still on my bucket list.

We are heading for Spain and Portugal towards the end of the week.

80B 06-06-2017 12:20 AM

Glenn,
Godspeed with the recovery, and enjoy the cruise! Both itineraries are fantastic.

bart 06-06-2017 04:24 AM

Glenn, glad you came through well!
Enjoy your trip to Australia.

Franklmu 06-06-2017 05:48 AM

In Limoges and if you like the good beef, don't miss "chez Alfonse" and his "cote de veau..."
Frank