AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   D'Agostino Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Preamps? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=18973)

kev313 02-02-2013 12:16 PM

Preamps?

Curious as to the preps everyone is using with their DAGs.

o0OBillO0o 02-02-2013 12:19 PM

I'm guessing you meant to say, "what preamps are using with your dacs?"

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

mbovaird 02-02-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o (Post 437832)

No. D'Agostino amps.

joeinid 02-02-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbovaird (Post 437837)
No. D'Agostino amps.

:banana:

:smoking:

kev313 02-02-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbovaird (Post 437837)

No. D'Agostino amps.

Right.

kev313 02-02-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o (Post 437832)

But I DID mean to write "preamps"!!! :)

turntable 02-02-2013 04:44 PM

Using my cj GAT.

Tried ARC ref5se and the cj GAT was a lot better.

Bottom line, even thou the DAG amps are balanced input only, ultimately the better sounding preamp regardless of bal/se design will sound best.

What preamp do you have?
Cheers

cmalak 02-02-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turntable (Post 438008)
Using my cj GAT.

Tried ARC ref5se and the cj GAT was a lot better.

Bottom line, even thou the DAG amps are balanced input only, ultimately the better sounding preamp regardless of bal/se design will sound best.

What preamp do you have?
Cheers

Shane....it should. The GAT is almost 1.5X the price of Ref 5SE I believe. Fairer fight would have been the Ref 40 Anniv vs. GAT (similar price points). Just saying :D :thumbsup:

doggiehowser 02-03-2013 02:02 AM

I find that with a full balanced architecture from the XDS1 to ARC to my balanced power amps (Nemos only have balanced inputs), the gap is closed significantly with the CJ. The CJ has better dynamics but I thought the midrange lushness felt more apparent with the 5SE.

turntable 02-04-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 438032)
Shane....it should. The GAT is almost 1.5X the price of Ref 5SE I believe. Fairer fight would have been the Ref 40 Anniv vs. GAT (similar price points). Just saying :D :thumbsup:

Hi Cyril

My main point was we all get stuck on this is a balanced design, therefore only balanced need apply and visa versa. That was my thought as well.

Pairing a single ended GAT with a fully balanced amp might seem out of whack. Some may read my choice and just think, well Shane is a cj fanboi and does know any better:scratch2:
That is why I prefaced I compared it with the Ref5se to give some level of context.

Yes, the more expensive pre amp out performed the less expensive pre - that is not always the case.. To be honest, I was expecting it to be very close considering that the ARC is fully balanced, whereas in overall musical performance, it was not.

So for me, no need to change my pre amp.:D

When we are all looking at that next upgrade, we should be a little more open minded and look at the ultimate musical performance, not the topology of the amplifier.

Another classic example is Jerome using Shindo amps with Wilson Sasha - I bet many people said / thought Jerome was crazy and it will not work. It could not possibly be better than his 300 watt Mac tube amps. the Shindo amps sound wonderful with the Sasha's and comfortably outperformed the Mac amps, that he sold them.
Bravo Jerome for looking outside the box.:yes: