AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Isolation, Tips & Tweaks (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Herbie's Isolation (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40297)

mcpaf76 08-19-2017 10:42 PM

Herbie's Isolation

Curious if anyone has had any experience with these. Installed a full set on my components, rack and speakers today. Tenderfeet, hush puckies and cone puckies. Very favorable results for the money.

Weirdcuba 08-20-2017 12:51 AM

Mine are on the way and will report back. I got them mostly to be able to move the speakers, but everything else was so low priced, I couldn't resist giving it a try.

mcpaf76 08-20-2017 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...9&d=1503234904
This was the full setup before installing. Regular soft Tenderfeet for the Niagara 1000, Big tall soft Tenderfeet for the amps. Cone Puckies for under the rack spikes and Titanium Hush Puckies for under the Sopra 3 spikes. Definite improvement from using vibrapods under the amps and the stock floor protectors under the rack and speakers. I didn't get the gliders because once I set my equipment I like it to stay exactly positioned. Also I wanted a very firm base under the speakers as I experimented wth Vibrapods and Isoacoustic Gaia's on my last speakers I found when speaker can move a lot, there is negative side effects in the sound. With the regular hush Puckies, the dampening material is only 1/8" and the Sopras feel almost as stable as the original full metal cups. My floor is floating laminate over a concrete slab and it definitely resonates, especially at louder volumes, but the puckies cleaned things up noticeably even at lower volumes. At $400 total , I feel it was a good value.

Weirdcuba 08-24-2017 05:29 AM

Two big wows for herbies.

First, I added titanium sliders under the spikes on my TADs which allow me to pull them out into the room - which is awesome. Really improves the imaging - really really improves the imaging. And, I can just push them back in and avoid the wrath of the wife. I didn't try them in a/b fashion in the same position, so I don't know about the static improvement, but the ability to pull the speakers into the room is an overwhelmingly good thing.

I also added hush puckies under the spikes of my clear audio innovation turntable (separately). Definitely blacker backgrounds and, for the price, well worth it.

Nice to see an audio offering that seems to be well done that is way less than four figures in price.

Antonmb 08-24-2017 10:19 AM

I've been using Herbie's Big Fat Dots to positive effect under the 3 subs in my home theatre for several years, and have their gliders under my rack for easy movement. I've also just ordered the titanium Decoupling Gliders for my speakers. I'd rather have Stillpoints there, but they don't have a product that will work with my angled spikes.

Masterlu 08-24-2017 02:28 PM

I have actually bought quite a few Herbies products. Very nice, but they are in no way an equal or replacement for Stillpoints.

Frankly, I wish they were.

Antonmb 08-24-2017 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 863615)
Very nice, but they are in no way an equal or replacement for Stillpoints.

Now that I'm a convert, I couldn't agree more.

Weirdcuba 08-24-2017 10:22 PM

I'm sure that's the case, but they deliver a pretty Big Bang for the buck (as compared to $ spent), so it's a good alternative to improve the system with much fewer dollars spent. On a pure SQ perspective, I suspect the stillpoints win hands down. On a SQ perspective while still considering $$, the equation likely balances differently (and that balance will vary by the system, ear and bank account of the listener).

Like everything in this game, everyone has to decide what they are willing to spend for those last few % points.

Masterlu 08-24-2017 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 863687)
I'm sure that's the case, but they deliver a pretty Big Bang for the buck (as compared to $ spent), so it's a good alternative to improve the system with much fewer dollars spent. On a pure SQ perspective, I suspect the stillpoints win hands down. On a SQ perspective while still considering $$, the equation likely balances differently (and that balance will vary by the system, ear and bank account of the listener).

Like everything in this game, everyone has to decide what they are willing to spend for those last few % points.

Indeed! ;)

http://juicerland.com/wp-content/upl...ual-juicer.jpg

mcpaf76 08-26-2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 863615)
I have actually bought quite a few Herbies products. Very nice, but they are in no way an equal or replacement for Stillpoints.

Frankly, I wish they were.

While I've never tried Stillpoints I definitely agree. I'm sure they are on a whole other level. However at this price point I was able to isolate my whole system so it can almost be looked at as a temporary solution. It is definitely much better than using nothing. I'm definitely looking at potentially adding the Stillpoints to my system down the road.