AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   D'Yquem Amp Troubles (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=28091)

Jerome W 08-23-2014 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOLG4EVR (Post 632861)
You hit very close to home with the cancer analogy.

I will not get into details but a close family member is in recovery and hopefully will be discharged very soon.

Although perspective is achieved when comparing I would never think of my music issues in the same light as life threatening issues. Two very different topics of conversation.

Thanks for your comment though.

G. Bless !

countingbackwards 08-23-2014 02:34 PM

That's a lot of miscellaneous failures in a short time. Your amps are still under warranty, so the manufacturer is required to take care of you. Even if it goes as far as replacement of the amps so they can keep them in their lab and see what went wrong with this pair. The manufacturer/distributor/your dealer all have excellent reputations so let's hope that they take good care of you.

NOLG4EVR 08-23-2014 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countingbackwards (Post 632963)
That's a lot of miscellaneous failures in a short time. Your amps are still under warranty, so the manufacturer is required to take care of you. Even if it goes as far as replacement of the amps so they can keep them in their lab and see what went wrong with this pair. The manufacturer/distributor/your dealer all have excellent reputations so let's hope that they take good care of you.

These are my second pair of D'Yquem's. After several tube failures my original pair were replaced with the pair I have now.

You know my dealer, they are great and spoke with them this morning. They are willing to do whatever it takes to make me happy.

After having such a bad experience with these I am now considering a different Shindo amp. Possibly the GM 70.

countingbackwards 08-23-2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOLG4EVR (Post 632986)
These are my second pair of D'Yquem's. After several tube failures my original pair were replaced with the pair I have now. You know my dealer, they are great and spoke with them this morning. They are willing to do whatever it takes to make me happy. After having such a bad experience with these I am now considering a different Shindo amp. Possibly the GM 70.

I'm not surprised at the excellent service you're getting. That's what I've experienced at CDF as well, though I've been fortunate enough to not have to deal with the failures that you have.

That Lafon GM70 amp is tried and true, it's been in the lineup for a very long time and uses tubes that seem to have a good track record. I haven't heard of the GL 300B's being used all that much in tube amp designs - perhaps they're just not up to the standard that Shindo is used to working with.

My CCQ's with NOS EL34 tubes have been perfect so far - NOS seems to be what Shindo knows. At this point, it certainly sounds like your best bet is to try a different pair of amps. Based on what I've read of the GM70s, they should be an excellent match with O96's, and id guess they're about the same price as the D'Yquems.

Good luck!

fjn04 08-24-2014 05:38 PM

It's unfortunate you are having these issues JJ. Funny, I was just at CDF Wednesday. I am confident you are in good hands. That bunch may very well be a dyeing breed. They know their stuff! Best of luck on a quick recovery. I have an LM 211 in my second system, so I can always move it over if need be. But knock on wood, no need thus far.

NOLG4EVR 08-27-2014 12:00 AM

D'Yquem update.

A couple of days ago a friend I made on this site, Rene aka restock offered to come over and try to help me with my amp issue.

He arrived with a tube tester, multimeter and extra tubes and fuses.

We tested first the 300b's. They tested fine. This did not surprise me as my issue had been that the amp shut down after about 30 seconds and I saw no evidence of tube burn out.

We then tested the 6 AW8A's. As expected they tested good as well.

We then turned the amp upside down and removed the bottom. We checked the fuse and tested it. It was also good.

Inside the amp are are two GE 6 AL3 tubes soldered to very short wires. We decided to check these as well. The first one tested good but the second one was dead.

We broke the solder and removed the bad tube and replaced it with a matching GE tube. Rene soldered the new 6AL3 to the internal wire, replaced the rubber grommet.

We then re-biased the 300b tubes to the proper setting and buttoned up the amp.

We also had to replace the fuse in the power cord socket as it had burned out.

Powered the amp up and lo and behold, MUSIC.

Many thanks to Rene for helping me out, without his help I would not be listening to these superb amps as I type.

If not for both of us being members of AA this wonderful experience would not have happened.

Thanks again Rene and AA.

Masterlu 08-27-2014 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOLG4EVR (Post 633896)
D'Yquem update.

A couple of days ago a friend I made on this site, Rene aka restock offered to come over and try to help me with my amp issue.

He arrived with a tube tester, multimeter and extra tubes and fuses.

We tested first the 300b's. They tested fine. This did not surprise me as my issue had been that the amp shut down after about 30 seconds and I saw no evidence of tube burn out.

We then tested the 6 AW8A's. As expected they tested good as well.

We then turned the amp upside down and removed the bottom. We checked the fuse and tested it. It was also good.

Inside the amp are are two GE 6 AL3 tubes soldered to very short wires. We decided to check these as well. The first one tested good but the second one was dead.

We broke the solder and removed the bad tube and replaced it with a matching GE tube. Rene soldered the new 6AL3 to the internal wire, replaced the rubber grommet.

We then re-biased the 300b tubes to the proper setting and buttoned up the amp.

We also had to replace the fuse in the power cord socket as it had burned out.

Powered the amp up and lo and behold, MUSIC.

Many thanks to Rene for helping me out, without his help I would not be listening to these superb amps as I type.

If not for both of us being members of AA this wonderful experience would not have happened.

Thanks again Rene and AA.

Outstanding! Kudo's Rene :thumbsup:

Jerome W 08-27-2014 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 633898)

Outstanding! Kudo's Rene :thumbsup:

+1 !

I wish I have a René near my home !

NOLG4EVR 08-27-2014 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome W (Post 633908)
+1 ! I wish I have a René near my home !

He taught me a lot about dealing with some of the tube amp issues.

So much so I bought a Fluke multimeter today and backup fuses. Also ordered a full backup set of tubes to be prepared next time.

Fact is, tubes fail, you just need to be prepared and have the skill to replace and move on.

I am also looking to buy a tube tester. Hopefully find a good restored vintage one.

JPrest 08-27-2014 02:37 AM

I like happy endings.