AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Turntables & Tonearms (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   ToneArm Cable Length (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49555)

Badwithpeople 02-17-2021 11:02 PM

ToneArm Cable Length

Hello everyone,

I recently upgraded my turntable to a Townshend Rock 7 after using a Pro-Jet 5.1 for about 10 years. The Rock is a major improvement and I am now listening to more vinyl than ever. One issue I am having is the tonearm cable. The cable that came with the Rock is rather short. This forces me to keep my pre-amp, a Mac C1100 w/built-in MC phono stage, on the shelf below. I would prefer to place the Mac two rows down. I would like to order a longer cable, a 5 pin DIN to RCA, to contact the TT and Mac. How long can I go? I doubt I would need more than 1.2M. Also, the current plug has a 90 degree angle at the din end. When I look up similar cables they list different terminations with 90 degree horizontal and 90 degree vertical. What's the difference? Googling hasn't helped me answer this question.

My other alternative is to place a dedicated phono stage between the TT and Mac. I have read great things about the EAR 834P. Does anyone here now how it would compare to the phonotage in my Mac? I like the EAR because of its small footprint, I don't ant to take up another whole shelf. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Andy

tima 02-18-2021 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badwithpeople (Post 1032798)

I would like to order a longer cable, a 5 pin DIN to RCA, to contact the TT and Mac. How long can I go? I doubt I would need more than 1.2M. Also, the current plug has a 90 degree angle at the din end. When I look up similar cables they list different terminations with 90 degree horizontal and 90 degree vertical. What's the difference? Googling hasn't helped me answer this question.

You want a longer tonearm cable, forget moving boxes around. 1.2m is a very common length although you can go longer. The difference between 90° horizontal vs 90° vertical termination is that one is straight and the other has a 90° angle at the DIN end - its that simple. If your current cable has a right-angle DIN, then that's what you want in a replacement.

There can be differences in the way the DIN pins are wired based on tonearm. I have no familiarity with your present arm or cable, but you should be able to learn from the manufacturer or elsewhere what is its pin-out. The DIN end may be keyed so that it fits only one way - look at your cable to see.

Approach this in terms of: I need a longer tonearm cable for my Excaliber II tonearm.

John49 02-18-2021 05:22 AM

[emoji106]

Badwithpeople 02-18-2021 07:24 AM

Thank you both, I’ve emailed the manufacturer to see if they can provide the din-pin configuration. I think the tonearm is out of production but I would think they would still have that information. We’ll see what happens.

Badwithpeople 02-18-2021 08:50 PM

Does anyone have any recommendations on a brand of cable? I’ve read great reviews of the Nordost tonearm cables.

Formerly YB-2 02-19-2021 08:23 AM

Congrats on your new TT/TA rig. Looks very nice. Post in the picture thread if you get the chance.
I'm very happy with my Wireworld Platinum phono cable and they will make up most any length/DIN/RCA/XLR configuration you may need. That said, my TA is wired with Nordost Valhalla and am also very pleased with same. With my favored DH Labs cartridge connection wiring my TT/TA rig is silver wire from the cartridge to the preamp.
Check the WW, Nordost & DHLabs websites. They are all the highest quality products.
Ivan is a WW dealer and can help you out if go that way.

Badwithpeople 02-19-2021 01:11 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I’ll post a pic soon.

Badwithpeople 02-26-2021 12:02 PM

Does anyone have experience with Finewire Tonearm Cables by Stereo-Lux High Fidelity? I spoke to their dealer in Philadelphia and he spoke very highly of them, as you would expect obviously. He says they handle the wiring for Reed tonearms. Does anyone know how these compare to Nordost or WireWorld?

Masterlu 02-26-2021 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badwithpeople (Post 1033555)
Does anyone have experience with Finewire Tonearm Cables by Stereo-Lux High Fidelity? I spoke to their dealer in Philadelphia and he spoke very highly of them, as you would expect obviously. He says they handle the wiring for Reed tonearms. Does anyone know how these compare to Nordost or WireWorld?

When I set up my Avid Acutus w/ Benz Micro LP-S in my Burmester rig, I had the following cables on hand to try, in no special order.

1 - Furutech Silver Arrows
2 - Graham Arm’s best cable at the time
3 - Siltech Empress Double Crown
4 - WW Platinum Eclipse 8

I had four other audiophile friends over to assist with their input. After a short while, no one but me knew which one we were listening to.

The Platinum Eclipse 8 won consistently, it is still my favorite tonearm cable by a wide margin.

Badwithpeople 02-27-2021 12:44 PM

Cool, thanks Ivan.