AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Ref 3 and SS amp? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=26184)

Bavarian05 04-06-2014 08:39 PM

Ref 3 and SS amp?

Which brand and models of SS amps have a strong synergy with the ARC Ref 3?
Looking for something 100-150 watts or more and must be fully balanced.

cmalak 04-06-2014 08:55 PM

Impedance wise I would chose something with minimum of 30Kohms input impedance (preferably higher). Budget on SS amp?

Bavarian05 04-06-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 596935)
Impedance wise I would chose something with minimum of 30Kohms input impedance (preferably higher). Budget on SS amp?

$5K

I am looking at a BAT VK-250 but have no experience with them and can't really find any reviews or feedback...?

Quin 04-06-2014 09:05 PM

Bavarian - curious, why the switch from tube power amp?

cmalak 04-06-2014 09:08 PM

Ayre is a good match (older VX-5 or newer VX-R, although VX-R unlikely to be any used for sale yet and enw out of your price range).

Some of ARC's SS amps should be obvious considerations (older Class AB and newer Class D amps).

If you can find an Aesthetix Atlas stereo amp ($8K new) used that should work well.

BAT VK-250 if similar to current VK-255 with input impedance of 50Kohms on paper works fine. House sound wise should also work well, as ARC is known for transparent, open, 3-dimensional sound, whereas BAT is more sonically dense especially in the midrange, and their SS amps have good bottom end control. Should be a decent pairing.

Are you thinking of buying sight unseen or can you audition any of these amps via used stock at local dealers?

Bavarian05 04-06-2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quin (Post 596938)
Bavarian - curious, why the switch from tube power amp?

Not sure that I am making the change. Just researching right now. I just ordered a pair of Sonus Faber Olympica II's and thinking a solid state amp may be a good fit.
Looking for some helpful feedback right now.

Bavarian05 04-06-2014 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 596939)
Ayre is a good match (older VX-5 or newer VX-R, although VX-R unlikely to be any used for sale yet and enw out of your price range). Some of ARC's SS amps should be obvious considerations (older Class AB and newer Class D amps). If you can find an Aesthetix Atlas stereo amp ($8K new) used that should work well. BAT VK-250 if similar to current VK-255 with input impedance of 50Kohms on paper works fine. House sound wise should also work well, as ARC is known for transparent, open, 3-dimensional sound, whereas BAT is more sonically dense especially in the midrange, and their SS amps have good bottom end control. Should be a decent pairing. Are you thinking of buying sight unseen or can you audition any of these amps via used stock at local dealers?

Sight unseen unfortunately. I don't have much experience with SS amps other than Bryston.

cmalak 04-06-2014 09:12 PM

Personally I think the Ref 110s will do a nice job on the O2s but you can always try them with the Ref 110s and if you pull the trigger on a SS amp as well, compare the two before deciding which to keep or if financially viable if both sound good but with different sonic perspectives then you can keep both and switch it up either via mood or put in the SS during warm summer months and switch in the tubes during the winter when the extra heat may be welcome.

Good luck.

Quin 04-06-2014 09:18 PM

Good luck with your research. Have read in AA forums that Pass Labs amps are a good match with ARC preamps but have no personal experience to share.

Bavarian05 04-06-2014 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quin (Post 596944)
Good luck with your research. Have read in AA forums that Pass Labs amps are a good match with ARC preamps but have no personal experience to share.

Thank you Quin.