AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Bryston Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   In-Coming BDP-3 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43665)

John Jordan 08-29-2018 04:21 PM

In-Coming BDP-3

My seemingly endless pursuit of a new media player has come to an end. After a year or two of reading the reviews and chatting with folks on various forums, a BDP-3 with the build in WiFi is on its way.

I considered modifications to my MacBook, souping up a Mac Mini and building a box powered via Hackintosh, Linex or Windows. The usual suspects were carefully researched Aurender, Lumin, Naim etc and the used market places were closely monitored.

So many members here and elsewhere kindly shared their experiences with their chosen servers. What made the decision so hard is that all of these products are good. One could easily be pleased with any. And yes, all have their pros and cons.

What tipped the scales to the Bryston:

1. Built in WiFi, no need to deal with external wiring.

2. The ability to add one's own local storage.

3. A newer design with more processing power and perhaps future proofing.

4. Higher resolution playback potential.

5. ROON Ready & choice of other third party controllers.

6. Great Customer Service. A phone call away and a real person answers the phone.

7. Made in North America, Canada to be exact.

8. A coming price increase September 1.

Hope this may be of help for anyone else in their decision making process.
If interested, there is still time to avoid the increase. If you are a member, give a shout to Ivan.

Cheers!

:wine:

Masterlu 08-29-2018 04:23 PM

John... A Big Congrats! :beerchug:

Stefan_DR3 08-29-2018 09:46 PM

In-Coming BDP-3

Congrats John! Your points 2, 6, 7, 8 are factors for me too.

I don’t have a large collection and I don’t have any DSD files so I’m actually considering a used BDP-2 because it seems “good enough” and the back panel is less cluttered. I only want to put a SATA drive in it so I don’t care about the extra USB ports that the BDP-3 has.

Not sure if I would regret it lacking the HDMI output in the future though.

jdandy 08-29-2018 11:10 PM

John.......Congratulations on a well thought out decision. I'll be watching for your review.

John Jordan 08-29-2018 11:43 PM

Stefan-

All of my music right now is ripped from CD's in the AIFF format via dbpoweramp. I question the logic of paying for "HD" downloads of say Disraeli Gears or Turn of the Cards. Music however recorded in contemporary times is another matter. If, it's recorded natively at 24/94 or higher etc there may well be an audible difference. This potential is nice to have.

HDMI is something i have not thought about or concerned with at this time. Others with experience please chime in on that.

In my mind, the BDP3's processing power is very future proof and extra ports are never a harm especially with the isolation in the DBP3's design. UGG, in the computer world, "future proof" is very relative.

BTW, support your local public library with gusto! It's a great source for music, books and other great stuff!

John Jordan 08-30-2018 12:04 AM

Dan-

Thank you! It was a tough decision to say the least and you detailed analysis of the Aurender series made it all the more so. For my particular needs, it all fell nicely into place this morning.

Cheers to the listening of sounds on our well hunted systems.

gbaby 08-30-2018 09:24 AM

Congratulations on your purchase John. I just sent my BDP-2 back to Bryston for the BDP-3 upgrade. I have really missed the convenience of the BDP-2 and I cannot wait for its return.

Antonmb 08-30-2018 10:35 AM

Congratulations on a well-researched decision and excellent choice. We’ll look forward to pictures.

John Jordan 08-30-2018 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
gbaby it's good to know you like your Bryston and it's upgradeable.

Tony, Thank you. The decision now is where to place it. I did this temporary shelve for the MacBk last winter. Enlarging it will get me started. My end goal is to eliminate the CD player and pack up the Cd's.

gbaby 08-30-2018 11:49 AM

John, I would move the MacBook Pro next to my seating position as you will not need it next to your audio system. I keep my MacBook Pro next to my seating position so I can access the music on my BDP as well as play anything of interest on my Apple TV via MacBook Pro.