AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Value, $500.00 and Under (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47572)

For The Love of Music 02-09-2020 03:15 PM

Value, $500.00 and Under

1 Attachment(s)
Thought some threads can be started where tested products by forum members can be shared starting in the $500 and under category, first up;

Shunyata’s plug in Defender conditioner at $199.00 MSRP.

These little guys do help by plugging them in an open wall receptacle. I use them in each system in the home including my reference systems digital circuit.

They provide noise reduction and transient protection (surge), I did notice and experience too much a good thing when I plugged a second into the star grounded distribution, it over conditions and took away some of the dynamics, so try them first one at a time starting with the receptacle and see what’s right in your system.

Regarding video, I run 3 Pioneer Elite plasmas and have no plans to upgrade - these plug ins really clean up an already stellar image.

Attachment 61400

audioguy3107 02-09-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by For The Love of Music (Post 994897)
Thought some threads can be started where tested products by forum members can be shared starting in the $500 and under category, first up;

Shunyata’s plug in Defender conditioner at $199.00 MSRP.

These little guys do help by plugging them in an open wall receptacle. I use them in each system in the home including my reference systems digital circuit.

They provide noise reduction and transient protection (surge), I did notice and experience too much a good thing when I plugged a second into the star grounded distribution, it over conditions and took away some of the dynamics, so try them first one at a time starting with the receptacle and see what’s right in your system.

Regarding video, I run 3 Pioneer Elite plasmas and have no plans to upgrade - these plug ins really clean up an already stellar image.

Attachment 61400

Ed - I have the Defender as well, it's a great little device and works well. I am a bit surprised how it changed things by just plugging in a second one. Was the change really obvious or was it difficult to pick out at first??

- Buck

For The Love of Music 02-09-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 994901)
Ed - I have the Defender as well, it's a great little device and works well. I am a bit surprised how it changed things by just plugging in a second one. Was the change really obvious or was it difficult to pick out at first??

- Buck

Did not pay attention to it just because of time, then after a few days hearing reference tracks late evening it was obvious something changed and that was the only factor, so pulled left the one in the receptacle and pulled the one from distribution with positive results

Puma Cat 02-09-2020 04:21 PM

Great thread, Ed, thanks!

Okay, here's mine, not listed in any order:

Shunyata Venom HC V2 Power cord, $295. This bad boy doesn't look particularly fancy or pretty but its got the goods under the hood: OFE Copper conductors, flourocarbon dielectric, and copper connectors. I'm using these to power a world-class preamp that is in-house for an audition, and I gotta say, these PCs are a freakin' knockout with respect to their performance. They are fast & dynamic as all get-out, clean, quiet and overall just an incredible PC for the money. DO NOT overlook this PC because of the price or the classic Venom series appearance. You can also purchase it in a 3-pack for $620 or a 5-pack for $885 (this is less than $200/cord...an insane value proposition).

Shunyata Venom V14D Digital power cord $195 Originally developed in Shunyata's sister company, Clear Image Scientific for medical imaging, this PC is specifically designed for the components and computer-based devices used for digital streaming e.g. PCs, NUCs, NAS', routers, cable modems, Ethernet switches, FMCs, network bridges, streamers, etc., and and their respective power supplies, this power cord for really delivers. It has notably improved the sound of my Mac Mini Roon core, Keces P3 power supply that powers my SOtM SMS-200 UltraNeo, Sonore OpticalModule FMC and..my Samsung HDTV. You can literally see the improvement these bring. At $195, also a superb value for money.

Sonore OpticalModule $250 One of best audiophile-grade best fiber media convertors on the market. The only other one I know that is comparable is the GigaFOIL, and its over $500. If you're running optical fiber from a (remote) server to a network bridge or streamer, this should be your first stop. Uses a very high-quality Crystek CCHD-575 oscillator crystal oscillator for its clock, and four high-quality ultra low noise linear regulators. Furthermore, it runs comptelely reliably and trouble-free. Set it up, connect it and forget it.

Keces P3 Power Supply ~$395 An excellent linear power supply that will power two devices at different voltages simultaneously. Very well made, with excellent materials and quality of construction. I use this with my SOtM SMS-200 UltraNeo network bridge and I am very happy with it.

Uptone Audio LPS-1.2 linear power supply, $435. Also an excellent power supply, this is a "never connected to the AC Mains" super-cap type of linear power supply with a whopping 60 Farads of capacitance. Uses a unique "moat" architecture so that it not pass either low- and high-impedance leakage currents that cause increased clock phase noise downstream to network bridges or DACs. This is key when used for any type of digital device. I use mine to power my OpticalModule and/or EtherREGEN.

Shunyata NR-V10 & V12 power cords: $450 & $350 respectively. Use the NR-V10 for powering anything from power distributors, amps, preamps, DACs, especially if you don't have the budget or configuration that allows connections to a noise-reducing power distributor. Use multiples of these if your budget allows throughout your system instead on splurging on one more expensive PC, and then using generic black power cords elsewhere. Use the NR-V12 for lower current or power-requiring devices e.g. disc players, phono stages, etc. The Venom NR-series PCs are dynamic as all get-out, fast, clean, and quiet, quiet, quiet. Use in combination with the Venom HC V2 referenced above if you have a good power distributor and have some budget constraints for using Venom NRs throughout (for example use, a Venom HC V2 to power a power distributor).

Schiit Modi Multibit DAC: $249 A true multibit DAC for well under $500. Winner of many awards for sound quality.

Shunyata Venom Interconnects, $350/1M. This interconnect is superb, and no joke, fully competes with $1000 ICs from other brands. Very, very quiet and beautifully made. Again, do not let the low price fool you.

Puma Cat 02-09-2020 04:35 PM

Oh, yeah, two more:

Herbie's AudioLabs Tenderfoot component isolation footer:

At whopping $13.95, this product will also likely be dismissed by many because it is so inexpensive, which would be a big mistake. This simple and cheap footer really works and I have the data to prove it.

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_ca...%20graphic.jpg

Shunyata Venom Ethernet cable, $295. Quite simply, this Ethernet cable blows everything I tested last summer, including top-line WireWorld and AQ Ethernet cables, completely into the weeds. If you need Ethernet connectivity, just get it and call it a day.

Masterlu 02-09-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 994919)
Oh, yeah, two more:

Herbie's AudioLabs Tenderfoot component isolation footer:

At whopping $13.95, this product will also likely be dismissed by many because it is so inexpensive, which would be a big mistake. This simple and cheap footer really works and I have the data to prove it.

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_ca...%20graphic.jpg

Shunyata Venom Ethernet cable, $295. Quite simply, this Ethernet cable blows everything I tested last summer, including top-line WireWorld and AQ Ethernet cables, completely into the weeds. If you need Ethernet connectivity, just get it and call it a day.

Stephen... except they melt on warm equipment, and cause permanent damage.

Puma Cat 02-09-2020 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 994922)
Stephen... except they melt on warm equipment, and cause permanent damage.

I've never had a problem using them under my C-J tube amps, tube preamps, or DACs or phono stages. Been using them for 7 years now. I am also using them under my EtherREGEN, which gets quite warm to the touch, and they haven't melted there, either. If your component has a rubber foot on it, and most components do, a Tenderfoot can be safely be used under it.

Masterlu 02-09-2020 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 994925)
I've never had a problem using them under tube amps, tube preamps, or DACs or phono stages. Been using them for 7 years now.

Unlike your experience, mine was terrible. I won’t be back. ;)

LarsT 02-09-2020 05:26 PM

My subscription to Audio Aficionado. Endless value in return

Masterlu 02-09-2020 05:36 PM

:tiphat: