AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Schiit (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Yggdrasil break-in officially complete (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42106)

jdandy 02-05-2018 02:01 PM

Yggdrasil break-in officially complete

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4741/...1ef84588_b.jpg

This morning at 6:00 AM my new Yggdrasil DAC logged 1000 hours of continuous break-in. It is still playing music as I type, but as of today I will no longer feed a continuous digital signal to it when I am not listening. I will keep the Yggdrasil energized 24/7 so that it remains at operating temperature, but I will clear any playlists from the Aurender N100H when I am not enjoying the sound system.

The Yggdrasil demonstrated a slow and steady improvement in presentation, clarity, and texture through the first 500 hours, then only minor differences in warmth through about 700 hours. Between 700 hours and 1000 hours I have not noticed any sonic differences in the Yggdrasil's sound. I could have called the break-in complete at that time but felt I would let the break-in hours continue to accrue just in case there was some additional performance gains to squeeze from it. For all practical purposes the Yggdrasil break-in was complete at 500 hours with only very minor discernible changes in its sonic signature beyond that point. I am thrilled and completely satisfied with its sound, and consider the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC a remarkable and valuable addition to my living room sound system.

Haydn 02-05-2018 02:55 PM

Thank you Dan, for all the excellent posts on this. I am definitely interested in a Yggdrasil.

jdandy 02-05-2018 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haydn (Post 897439)
Thank you Dan, for all the excellent posts on this. I am definitely interested in a Yggdrasil.

Dale.......You are welcome. It has been my pleasure to report on the progress of the Yggdrasil break-in. It is also my pleasure to listen to this incredible DAC each day. The Yggdrasil is all about reproducing music without a hint of digital baggage to be found.

PHC1 02-06-2018 12:46 AM

Dan, I see Schiit removed the tab "select color" from the Yggdrasil page. :D Good thing you did not waste too much time waiting on the black one.

I was listening to Gumby this evening with the Primaluna HP integrated, man, what a musical combo. :music: I could not fully appreciate all that Gumby has to offer until this evening since I just put my 2 channel together and what I was hearing in headphones was confirmed by what I am hearing through the Harbeth speakers and the Primaluna HP. Superb... :music:

jdandy 02-06-2018 01:21 AM

Serge.......I am glad I went with the anodized aluminum Yggdrasil. I like the looks of it. You're right, I'd probably still be waiting or Schiit Audio may have canceled the order.

Nice to see you are building a new two channel system. PrimaLuna makes some sweet gear. I reviewed their ProLogue Premium Integrated Amplifier for this forum back in 2013. Read my PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium Integrated Amplifier Review if you missed it. I imagine the PrimaLuna HP integrated amp and Harbeth speakers sound very good together. The Gumby should be shining.

PHC1 02-06-2018 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 897544)
Serge.......I am glad I went with the anodized aluminum Yggdrasil. I like the looks of it. You're right, I'd probably still be waiting or Schiit Audio may have canceled the order.

Nice to see you are building a new two channel system. PrimaLuna makes some sweet gear. I reviewed their ProLogue Premium Integrated Amplifier for this forum back in 2013. Read my PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium Integrated Amplifier Review if you missed it. I imagine the PrimaLuna HP integrated amp and Harbeth speakers sound very good together. The Gumby should be shining.

I will give it a read Dan. I assume you came to a similar conclusion? Doesn't take but a few minutes to realize that the PrimaLuna sounds ridiculously good for the money. :D

jdandy 02-06-2018 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 897548)
I will give it a read Dan. I assume you came to a similar conclusion? Doesn't take but a few minutes to realize that the PrimaLuna sounds ridiculously good for the money. :D

Serge.......Yes it does. I think you will enjoy the review. I was impressed.

jdandy 02-06-2018 01:32 AM

Well, I just turned off the Aurender N100H for the first time since beginning the Yggdrasil break-in 1012 hours ago. The Yggy will remain powered for its life. Good to know I got plenty of break-in hours on the Aurender music server, too. Lovin' the music this combination makes.

PHC1 02-06-2018 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 897553)
Well, I just turned off the Aurender N100H for the first time since beginning the Yggdrasil break-in 1012 hours ago. The Yggy will remain powered for its life. Good to know I got plenty of break-in hours on the Aurender music server, too. Lovin' the music this combination makes.

Dan,
Your journey with the Yggdrasil was a pleasure to follow. Thanks again for sharing it with the rest of us, it was really enjoyable. :thumbsup: You had me reaching for the order tab on Schiit's website quite a few times and if it wasn't for my enjoyment level with the Gumby already and my rational part of the brain working at least some of the time.... I would have pulled the trigger on YggY already. :yes:

PHC1 02-06-2018 02:28 AM

Very tempting to upgrade to YggY from Gumby for me but I will have to resist the urge for now. We'll see how long I can resist. :D

One thing for sure, Schiit makes some seriously good, musical DACs.