AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Esoteric Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Grandioso Review (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42776)

mchydro 04-19-2018 10:51 PM

Grandioso Review

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...wer-amplifier/

SCAudiophile 04-20-2018 07:21 AM

Outstanding...thank you for posting!

Masterlu 04-20-2018 08:48 AM

Mike... Great review, thanks!

mchydro 04-20-2018 07:25 PM

You're welcome gents!

brodricj 04-23-2018 04:07 AM

"The D1 employs AKM’s top DAC chips...."

I don't think so...no further reading of review from that point for me.

SCAudiophile 04-23-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brodricj (Post 912429)
"The D1 employs AKM’s top DAC chips...."

I don't think so...no further reading of review from that point for me.

The AKM chipsets in the D1s are still one of the top offerings. AKM makes alot of different DAC chips, don't be fooled into thinking that only the latest 1 with the highest number is the top offering. I have said it before on this and other forums...a DAC chip is only 1 piece of the puzzle...it's also about the total implementation of the device that uses the DAC chip...

nfreemer 04-23-2018 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCAudiophile (Post 912431)
The AKM chipsets in the D1s are still one of the top offerings. AKM makes alot of different DAC chips, don't be fooled into thinking that only the latest 1 with the highest number is the top offering. I have said it before on this and other forums...a DAC chip is only 1 piece of the puzzle...it's also about the total implementation of the device that uses the DAC chip...

+1. Good post!

SCAudiophile 04-23-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nfreemer (Post 912437)
+1. Good post!

Thanks....there has been quite a few posts out there that say 'the K1 is the best because it utilizes AKM's XXXXX DAC' and now so will follow the K-01Xs. While the AKM chipset in question is amazing, it's by no means the only 'best' or 'top' that AKM offers. Many seem to be spun into a froth over a single chipset and stop thinking the component as a whole being what's important. The K1 and K-01Xs may now be the best in those lines that Esoteric has produced but it's not only because of the new DAC. BTW...I've heard the K1 against the full 4-box stack (now in 2 locations) including the D1s (and have also heard the 4-box DCS stack within 24 hours of hearing the K1 and 4-box) and even though the D1s are using an 'older' chipset, the combination is still, to my ears, the best playback experience I've heard. This is an opinion and I'll clearly state it as such....

stock78 04-25-2018 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCAudiophile (Post 912438)
Thanks....there has been quite a few posts out there that say 'the K1 is the best because it utilizes AKM's XXXXX DAC' and now so will follow the K-01Xs. While the AKM chipset in question is amazing, it's by no means the only 'best' or 'top' that AKM offers. Many seem to be spun into a froth over a single chipset and stop thinking the component as a whole being what's important. The K1 and K-01Xs may now be the best in those lines that Esoteric has produced but it's not only because of the new DAC. BTW...I've heard the K1 against the full 4-box stack (now in 2 locations) including the D1s (and have also heard the 4-box DCS stack within 24 hours of hearing the K1 and 4-box) and even though the D1s are using an 'older' chipset, the combination is still, to my ears, the best playback experience I've heard. This is an opinion and I'll clearly state it as such....

SCAudiophile,

Thanks for posting.
What do you think about the Esoteric K1 vs the DCS 4-box stack. Is the DCS (way) better, or just different and (mostly) a matter of preferences.
Not a lot of comparisons of DCS-Esoteric around so your opinion is very appreciated.

SCAudiophile 04-26-2018 03:53 PM

DCS stack was very detailed, exceptionally good and musical overall similar to Esoteric 4box stack however I prefer the Esoteric stack for it stunning upper octaves and transients plus better articlulation and depth in the bass. I think I prefer it as well due to Esoteric's overall transparency. All opinion....

The DCS stack is clearly in the top tier of all playback options in the world.

The K1 to me is the ultimate middle ground with clarity, musicality and a touch more warmth than either 4 box stack ..it definitely gives a moment of pause at its price point versus spending way up the scale on either 4box stack. Then you have to add a true master clock to all to achieve the most of each,...definitely adds up. When the day is done, K1 packs a wallop in price and performance....