AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   dCS Vivaldi 2.0 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=36872)

jax4736 08-25-2016 09:36 PM

dCS Vivaldi 2.0

Anyone have their stack fully upgraded yet?

I have the updates now on the DAC, Upsampler, and Transport. Quite happy with the update - and expecting a full loom of Shunyata cabling soon, to replace the factory cables.

jdandy 08-25-2016 11:29 PM

Jax.......Don't forget how much we like photos. :yes:

enatai252 08-26-2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jax4736 (Post 799953)
Anyone have their stack fully upgraded yet? I have the updates now on the DAC, Upsampler, and Transport. Quite happy with the update - and expecting a full loom of Shunyata cabling soon, to replace the factory cables.

I have a Vivaldi stack sans the transport. I upgraded the DAC to 2.0 when the SW upgrade first became available. The Upsampler requires a HW upgrade in addition to SW and mine is getting updated next Friday.

I have been very impressed with the DAC 2.0 update....the additional mapping algorithms (I have been using MAP1) improved the performance. Looking forward to seeing what the new upsampler upgrade brings. I primarily listen through the Ethernet input on the upsampler. The upgrade also brings with it the use of the new Vivaldi app....different UX....but similar to the Rossini which I use in my study. Another member here is also updating his upsampler soon

jax4736 08-26-2016 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enatai252 (Post 800009)
I have a Vivaldi stack sans the transport. I upgraded the DAC to 2.0 when the SW upgrade first became available. The Upsampler requires a HW upgrade in addition to SW and mine is getting updated next Friday. I have been very impressed with the DAC 2.0 update....the additional mapping algorithms (I have been using MAP1) improved the performance. Looking forward to seeing what the new upsampler upgrade brings. I primarily listen through the Ethernet input on the upsampler. The upgrade also brings with it the use of the new Vivaldi app....different UX....but similar to the Rossini which I use in my study. Another member here is also updating his upsampler soon

I love playing Redbook CD on the transport, sending it to the Upsampler, then upconverting it to DSDx2 (dual DSD). Sounds amazing with MAP 1 on the DAC.

jax4736 08-26-2016 11:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 799969)
Jax.......Don't forget how much we like photos. :yes:

My racks are ugly - next item on the upgrade list. Cable order not arriving until Monday.

The back is a rat's nest of cables - I can't ever hope for it to look neat - but the sound is divine!

jfrech 08-27-2016 07:35 AM

I'm itching to get my upsampler updated...would you say it's a similar gain to the dac 2.0 update?

Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
Preamp: Robert Koda K10
Amp: Nagra Classic Amp
Cables: Transparent Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus phono
Power Transparent Opus Power Cords (x8)
Power Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2, Sigma HC
Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x3)

jax4736 08-27-2016 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfrech (Post 800137)
I'm itching to get my upsampler updated...would you say it's a similar gain to the dac 2.0 update? Speakers: Rockport Altair 2 Preamp: Robert Koda K10 Amp: Nagra Classic Amp Cables: Transparent Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus phono Power Transparent Opus Power Cords (x8) Power Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2, Sigma HC Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x3)

Hard to say - but it does the DSDx2 upsampling so it complements the DAC. The transport, with 2.0, also does DSDx2 upsampling via AES 1&2 if not using the Upsampler. I'm still going through my reference recordings and everything sounds stunning!

TLi 08-29-2016 07:33 AM

I was told by local dealer that the 2.0 firmware for upsampler still have bug to fix. It will take another few weeks before a debugged version is available.

enatai252 09-03-2016 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enatai252 (Post 800009)
I have a Vivaldi stack sans the transport. I upgraded the DAC to 2.0 when the SW upgrade first became available. The Upsampler requires a HW upgrade in addition to SW and mine is getting updated next Friday. I have been very impressed with the DAC 2.0 update....the additional mapping algorithms (I have been using MAP1) improved the performance. Looking forward to seeing what the new upsampler upgrade brings. I primarily listen through the Ethernet input on the upsampler. The upgrade also brings with it the use of the new Vivaldi app....different UX....but similar to the Rossini which I use in my study. Another member here is also updating his upsampler soon

Update...

dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus
I received my update to bring the Vivaldi Upsampler to "Plus" status yesterday. The new network/USB board has been significantly reengineered and should result in benefits for those using the network/USB inputs like me. I saw some old board vs new board comparisons and it's clear that dCS took great care in redesigning. You can now upsample to 2XDSD but I have historically used DXD on PCM data and will stay the course while I get used to the new unit

Other benefits include Tidal, Spotify and AirPlay capability similar to the Rosini although given the quality of the latter two I will only be using Tidal lossless on this system

The new upsampler does switch you over to the new control app which is a change in Ui for those using the old app. I actually prefer the new format and since I also have a Rossini have been using the new app with that unit for awhile. The app easily allows you to control many of the Upsampler and DAC functions such as sampling rate, inputs and filters along with other parameters. My one wish is that while it will put the Upsampler, DAC and transport into sleep mode..I still have to manually turn on/off the clock. Maybe next update.

Plan to listen over the upcoming 3 day weekend and spend sometime comparing with the Rosinni/clock now that both have similar network boards....may not be a fair fight as I understand dCS took what it learned from Rossini and than greatly improved it

jax4736 09-03-2016 08:44 PM

I've been enjoying my 2.0 system a ton. I recently added a full Shunyata loom to my stack, stopped using the factory supplied cables. I'm really loving the 2.0 and my cable upgrades.

I added Shunyata Sigma Digital Power cords, one per unit, and Anaconda signal cable for clock and digital to digital cables.

I'm starting to experiment with the Twonky Server on my QNAP NAS.