AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   “You planted an Elipsa and a Stradivari blossomed” - Masterlu (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46030)

LarsT 06-12-2019 04:58 PM

“You planted an Elipsa and a Stradivari blossomed” - Masterlu

2 Attachment(s)
I purchased a pair of Elipsa from David about a month ago, based on Ivan’s recommendation.
The sound was exactly what I have been searching for since I have embarked on my speaker upgrade saga. But then I thought if the Elipsa sound this good, then what do the Strads sound like. I decided I needed to find out. Once again Ivan helped me with a decision to buy a particular pair that I found online. And this has turned out to be one of the best decisions I have ever made in this madness we call a hobby. I now have my very own Wall of Sound! My speaker odyssey is complete.
In 2019 I have gone from Paradigm Persona 5F to B&W 802D3 to the Elipsa to the Strads.
My audio room is far from complete, but the centerpiece is complete!

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...5&d=1560373034

Attachment 59305Attachment 59306

LarsT 06-12-2019 05:00 PM

And they sound amazing with my new E-650 that Ivan convinced me to get.
But I am already curious how a big boy McIntosh amp or amps would sound. [emoji23]

PHC1 06-12-2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarsT (Post 968415)
And they sound amazing with my new E-650 that Ivan convinced me to get.
But I am already curious how a big boy McIntosh amp or amps would sound. [emoji23]

I’ve heard the Strads many times over the years and with quite a few different amps. It’s all personal preference of course but to my ears the darker and burnished sound of the Strads always went hand in hand with a neutral sounding amp and especially ones with “testicular fortitude” (lots of current) like Krell, Bryston and even the bigger mono McIntosh amps which for some reason sound just a tiny bit “cooler” than the 501’s and models below. The Strads come to life with those partnering amps. The Elipsa also sound great with those amps but since they are a bit less dark sounding, there is a bit more leeway.

The Strads typically sound great with just about any amp, certainly the E650 is a fine partnering amp but like the saying goes, you won’t know what you’re missing until you’ve experienced it for yourself. :smoking:

1KW 06-12-2019 06:14 PM

Congratulations Lars, welcome to the Homage club. I believe the SF Stradivari are some of the best speakers in there class and a classic which is probably why they made 35 pairs this year to celebrate the 35th Anniversary of Sonus Faber. Not to ruin the honey moon period of your new integrated amp. the Strads deserve mono amps. :D

While the MC501's I have sound incredible with the Strads. and I have no urge to replace them. I like a more musical sound personally to over the top detail which causes me listener fatigue. The new MC611 or MC2301's (if you prefer tubes) will no doubt give you a fantastic combination you will enjoy for years.

2fastdriving 06-12-2019 06:18 PM

Congratulations! But "complete"? Hahahahahaha

LarsT 06-12-2019 06:19 PM

I’m sure Greg is laughing at this point 🤣

LarsT 06-12-2019 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 968422)
Congratulations! But "complete"? Hahahahahaha

“Complete” refers to the speakers only

1KW 06-12-2019 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarsT (Post 968425)
“Complete” refers to the speakers only

Knowing you Lars you will have a pair of Aida next month :music: :D Just kidding enjoy the Strads.

-E- 06-12-2019 09:08 PM

Holy crap, Lars!

You have been busy...

crwilli 06-12-2019 09:11 PM

Congratulations on your Strads! They really are special and after my few years of ownership, continue to show through any improvement I make in my system. I have not found their limits.

I have driven them with 1 & 2 MC275VI Amplifiers and an MC452. All combinations sounded great. The MC2301s give me the sound of both of those Amplifiers and then some.