AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Magnepan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   What other speakers would drive me away from Magnepan? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38544)

ralf-11 02-07-2017 10:09 PM

What other speakers would drive me away from Magnepan?

I'm interested in suggestions for other speakers to keep me from spending $6k on the 3.7i. I have 1.5 QR now.

No dealers here so I'd need to mail order them and return if not suitable...

vegaracer1 02-08-2017 12:10 AM

I think your budget will be helpful. Mags are a good value.There are better speakers but usually more expensive. Also musical taste might be a factor also.

JMD 02-08-2017 01:01 AM

Take a look at the Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S. Really good open baffle for about half the price. I've had mine since March.

timm 02-08-2017 04:38 PM

that is a tough one.... I was thinking 'used' but even so - something like a used Martin Logan Summit still goes for around 5-6..... Not sure though last time I was surfing around for this - they had model ending closeouts of the Summit X and Montis for somewhere in the 6K area.... A screaming deal for those speakers - but you might just like the 3.7i for similar price....

I think if you are looking for something that competes with a 3.7i - for 3K as an example - that might be tough....

Mikado463 02-08-2017 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timm (Post 831194)
that is a tough one.... I was thinking 'used' but even so - something like a used Martin Logan Summit still goes for around 5-6..... Not sure though last time I was surfing around for this - they had model ending closeouts of the Summit X and Montis for somewhere in the 6K area.... A screaming deal for those speakers - but you might just like the 3.7i for similar price....

I think if you are looking for something that competes with a 3.7i - for 3K as an example - that might be tough....

I agree with timm, but then we're Logan guys (and yes I currently own Revel).

I just recently listened to the Logan Masterpiece Series 13a's ........ incredible. With that being said having listened to the Maggie 3.7i's I know of no speaker near it's price point that compares. Room size and amplification taken into consideration.

ehoove 02-08-2017 07:21 PM

I run Modified MGIIIa's Tri-amped, and have found nothing in a reasonable price range that makes me want to switch. I must say the MG 3.7i's do sound magnificent for the money, but I would have to reconfigure my whole system. The only speaker that I have listened to that intrigued me were the Wilson Audio Sasha's, but there are so many I have not listened to and I really don't want to go down that rabbit hole at this stage in my life. If I were to upgrade it would be to the 3.7 series, or if things got crazy the 20.7 series.
Regards,
Jim

The Lost Bears 02-08-2017 07:41 PM

There are a number of speakers that will outperform the 3.7i. But not for anywhere near the price. I moved from Martin Logan SL3s to Sonus Faber Elipsa SE speakers. It took a much more expensive speaker to convince me. Planar speakers offer a lot for a relatively low price. The Magnepan 3.7i are excellent sounding speakers.

hobie1dog 02-09-2017 11:37 PM

After spending 3 days at CES and THE SHOW, hearing the 3.7's with two of the bass modules convinced me that they were by far the best sound for the money I have ever heard. But most audiophiles still relate sound quality to how much the price tag is.

Mikado463 02-10-2017 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobie1dog (Post 831455)
After spending 3 days at CES and THE SHOW, hearing the 3.7's with two of the bass modules convinced me that they were by far the best sound for the money I have ever heard. But most audiophiles still relate sound quality to how much the price tag is.

agreed ......:thumbsup:

ralf-11 02-19-2017 09:21 PM

Thx