AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   JL Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Fathom or E-sub (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=35598)

cyisone01 04-24-2016 01:52 AM

Fathom or E-sub

Going to upgrade my sub in my home theater and trying to decide between the two sub. Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

markbodiford 04-24-2016 04:01 PM

Without question, get a Fathom. A big one. Two when able. Then you will know what perfection is like.

paulphoosreal 04-24-2016 04:43 PM

I've been a CEDIA installer for over 10 years and have heard over 30 brands of speakers and subs. Nothing prepared me for the sound I got out of my Aerial 7s when I put 2 E110s to the outside of them. They are next to my mains and I crossover at 42HZ approximately. I use high and low pass on the the E sub. And that is what makes the E a better bet for the 7s. It's an active crossover both ways and is very close to what Aerial uses in the 7. YMMV

Masterlu 04-24-2016 05:36 PM

paulphoosreal... Welcome to AA! :wave:

jdandy 04-24-2016 06:25 PM

paulphoosreal.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado. :wave:

GaryProtein 04-24-2016 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyisone01 (Post 775830)
Going to upgrade my sub in my home theater and trying to decide between the two sub. Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

We love to spend other people's money here--and we're good at it! :D :D :D

What amps and speakers are you using in the rest of the system?

Do you want one or two subs?

Do you have a budget?

cyisone01 04-25-2016 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryProtein (Post 775968)
We love to spend other people's money here--and we're good at it! :D :D :D

What amps and speakers are you using in the rest of the system?

Do you want one or two subs?

Do you have a budget?

I have a McIntosh 452 and 205 along with a Marantz 8802. I have B&W's all the way around and have been using an old Definitive Technology 15" 1500 sub. It is time to replace and I am considering two subs.

I guess besides the calibration is there any benefit between the Fathom and E-sub?

paulphoosreal 04-25-2016 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryProtein (Post 775968)
We love to spend other people's money here--and we're good at it! :D :D :D What amps and speakers are you using in the rest of the system? Do you want one or two subs? Do you have a budget?

The Es are a great unit when you're not dealing with a bunch of problems in placement. If you can put them close to your mains and your crossover is below 55hz or so I'd go with them due to cost factor and the fact they have an active crossover. Not just low pass. Much of JLs fantastic technology has filtered down to the E series. That being said. If you are going to run mains full range and just low pass. More questions will need to be answered. With the 7s however,if you're just looking for that last bit of bass extension and want to keep the 7s sounding like the 7s the Es in my book are the way to go. Just my 2 cents worth.

paulphoosreal 04-25-2016 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 775962)
paulphoosreal.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado. :wave:

Thank you. I've followed the forum for quite awhile. So much good information to be found here.

paulphoosreal 04-25-2016 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 775955)
paulphoosreal... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Thank you as well. You're insight and information have been very helpful to me!