AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   AMR - A cautionary tale (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48247)

joeling 06-20-2020 09:20 PM

AMR - A cautionary tale

I bought a CD77 circa 2012/13. Finally got it working today in June 2020.

A short while after taking delivery of the unit, it developed a fault in one of the daughter boards. Had the unit sent in for warranty claim. This took quite a while. In fact, if I remembered it correctly, it was more than a year before getting it back. Unfortunately, the moment I fired up the unit all those years ago, the unit would skip a couple of seconds per track. Had to send it back for repairs. Every couple of months, I would inquire the status of repair but to no avail. This carried on for years. I moved on to other products. Finally, sometime last year, I received news that the motherboard is dead and irrepairable and a new board was needed. So, today, I took delivery of this old dinosaur finally. More than 1/2 a decade has gone by and this unit went from the most expensive CD player I have ever bought and expectations to take the place of pride in my main system to something that is now a side story of a cautionary tale - this brand and the management behind the brand is quite a piece of work. Very poor product and even poorer service. I am unlikely to make another purchase from this manufacturer anytime soon.

To add insult to injury, I had to pay some money for the replacement of the motherboard. 7-8 years owner of this CD player only to extract less than 50 hours of use out of it until this moment in time.

I welcome anyone who has had issues with AMR products whether it is the CD & or other models to chime in as well.

Regards,
Joe Ling

2fastdriving 06-21-2020 11:42 AM

That's.... Crazy! I don't think I've ever heard of anything happening like that from any manufacturer!

Masterlu 06-21-2020 11:51 AM

I own and have sold AMR gear back when they had a distributor in the USA. I never experienced anything like that before.

SCAudiophile 06-21-2020 12:48 PM

A very unusual story and I think one-off for AMR,...had a friend who was highly involved with them out of Fayettville GA and sold their gear for quite a few years along with Rosso Fiorentino and other quality brands. Their top player and DAC around 2011-2013 were a fantastic sounding combination, thought about purchasing...decided to stay with Esoteric but I never heard any stories like this, very sorry to hear it happened to you.

W9TR 06-21-2020 04:38 PM

AMR pretty much exited the market and focused on their other mobile audio brand, iFi Audio.

A cautionary tale for everyone buying expensive products from small privately held companies.

SCAudiophile 06-21-2020 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 1007613)
AMR pretty much exited the market and focused on their other mobile audio brand, iFi Audio.

A cautionary tale for everyone buying expensive products from small privately held companies.

:goodpost:

doggiehowser 06-21-2020 11:43 PM

They’ve just hired JC of Parasound fame so they might return.

joeling 06-22-2020 06:32 AM

My anger is spent & I am moving on. One thing good that came out of this was the discovery of DCS.

The repaired unit is working so far but I am unlikely to sell it.

doggiehowser 06-22-2020 07:15 PM

Where did you buy the AMR from?

joeling 06-27-2020 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser (Post 1007675)
Where did you buy the AMR from?

My local dealer in Brunei