AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Mark Levinson (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Mark Levinson 432 Amplifier on the Way (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=15917)

MDP 09-11-2012 08:00 AM

Congrats Karl,
When I auditioned my Salon 2's, it was with Mark Levinson amps, they sounded wonderful !
I think they will be a great match with your Vandys.

Mark

kfr01 09-14-2012 06:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Some blurry iphone pics.

Masterlu 09-14-2012 06:23 PM

Karl... Awesome! Congrad's

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...-913229657.jpg

joeinid 09-14-2012 06:23 PM

Congratulations Karl,

I bet that baby sounds great. Let us know!

tweet 09-14-2012 06:47 PM

Congratulations, Karl! It looks fantastic! :thumbsup:

Terry

kfr01 09-14-2012 06:54 PM

Thanks guys.

I am loving the Mark Levinson 432 so far. The sound is very different than the McIntosh MA6600 integrated amplifier.

I am not sure how much of this to attribute to directly driving the ML432 via the Wadia DAC or the very low noise floor provided by the Levinson, but the presentation has clearly moved closer to the stage.

The sound is -not- as fluid or round and there is a sense of less bass. The trade-off is that there's a greater speed, immediacy, and clarity between instruments --- resulting in the "moving closer to the stage" feel. I think the sense of less bass can be attributed to the tighter grip of the Levinson in the midbass.

What this all seems to mean for me and how I listen to music is this:

For good recordings -- the Mark Levinson, driven directly by the Wadia DAC and powering the very revealing Vandersteen 5As is bringing my listening to new heights.

For recordings that aren't great (e.g., both Adele CDs are a good example), yet more of the flaws are revealed. The flaws, along with the separate instruments, are clearer, more immediate, and more distinct. There are no free lunches at my budget, so I -have- lost some of that McIntosh fluidity that might help smooth some flaws.

I have made a conscious decision to move my system in this direction given that I love the hunt for great recordings, particularly great classical recordings, that can simulate the live experience at reference levels in my room. I think the Mark Levinson 432 paired with my Vandersteen 5As successfully further this goal. At this point on my audio journey, I am thrilled.

I like the sound of the Wadia 121, but the user interface and remote are horrible. This spring's upgrade will be a new DAC that has a good volume control remote and a display that shows volume level more clearly.

jdandy 09-14-2012 07:35 PM

Karl.......The Mark Levinson amplifier looks great. Congratulations. :thumbsup:

chessman 09-14-2012 11:14 PM

Karl, BIG congrats!!

cmalak 09-14-2012 11:16 PM

Karl...congrats on the 432 :thumbsup:. I would make one suggestion and that is to audition a preamp in the chain (whether a partnering ML preamp or a tube pre from Lamm, CJ, McIntosh, etc...) and compare it to the Wadia direct into the 432. My guess is you will regain some of that ease/fluidity you were experiencing with the MC6600. Just a guess on my part but if you have an opportunity to audition a suitable preamp in the chain, you may be pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

kfr01 09-15-2012 08:38 AM

Cyril:

Good idea. As I consider upgrades from the Wadia, one of the options considered will be a separate DAC paired with a good preamplifier.

The Ayre QB-9 plus the Ayre K5xeMP is one combination that I would love to try.

This said, and you may think I am a bit of an odd duck for thinking this way, but my intellectual interest right now is actually in continuing down the path of hyper-revealing DAC-direct-to-amplifier combinations. In other words, I am interested in seeing how far I can push the unbridled detail and clarity for excellent recordings.

I will wait to see what new DACs are released at the next CES while I save for my next upgrade, but the Berkeley Alpha DAC and the Weiss DAC202 are near the top of my list. Stereophile's measurements on the Weiss DAC202 are nearly as good as I've seen from a DAC at any price. I suspect the DAC202 would be a further step toward hyper clarity... and I'd be thrilled with that.

Below is what I am listening to this morning. It is music that I have seen performed live from the front row... and it is music that demands instrumental separation and clarity. The Wadia direct-to Levinson combination is providing me with an improved window into what the live show was like from the front row, and I want to continue pushing the envelope in this direction! :-)

Plus, one huge advantage of keeping the MA6600 and pairing it with my turntable is that when I want that analog and more relaxed feel, I just have to go into the other room.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...9L._SS500_.jpg