AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Why you should own your music (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47682)

Antonmb 03-04-2020 03:16 AM

Why you should own your music

I just got back on line after almost two weeks of no internet service. Had I been relying exclusively on streaming services I’d have been without music. It may be an unusual occurrence, but it’s another reason why it’s worth collecting music you love and not relying on Qobuz or Tidal to always be there.

Audioraven 03-04-2020 04:38 AM

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

oddeophile 03-04-2020 05:12 AM

Agree 100%

gadawg 03-04-2020 08:45 AM

Yeah .. I live in a new neighborhood so I've been down for weeks at a time a couple of times this year due to construction issues. Glad that doesn't impact my vinyl playback! :D

George

audioguy3107 03-04-2020 09:02 AM

Tony - Not only that....I was thinking of ripping all my CDs and finally getting rid of physical discs......until I explored those buyback sites and found that I'd only get between 10 and 25 cents per disc. Forget that, I'll keep em. Not worth it by a long shot.

- Buck

For The Love of Music 03-04-2020 09:15 AM

You gotta own at least some music.

tdelahanty 03-04-2020 10:51 AM

Some years ago I sold all my records, big mistake, won't sell my CD's. For years I resisted streaming, finally bought the Lumin U1 and 20 TB NAS. When confronted with its advantages and the wealth of material, wham!!!!! enough said. However I still enjoy spinning discs and owning physical media.

For The Love of Music 03-04-2020 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 997055)
I just got back on line after almost two weeks of no internet service. Had I been relying exclusively on streaming services I’d have been without music. It may be an unusual occurrence, but it’s another reason why it’s worth collecting music you love and not relying on Qobuz or Tidal to always be there.

Tony, what happened to lose internet for 2 weeks?

W9TR 03-04-2020 11:28 AM

We don’t live at the end of the civilized world but you can see it from our deck.

I can’t reliably stream hi-Rez content from any music service.

So I buy stuff. I have a lot of it. ;)

Formerly YB-2 03-04-2020 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 997069)
Tony - Not only that....I was thinking of ripping all my CDs and finally getting rid of physical discs......until I explored those buyback sites and found that I'd only get between 10 and 25 cents per disc. Forget that, I'll keep em. Not worth it by a long shot.
- Buck

Indeed......... my local guys said they did not want them unless they were free. Said "some" of the jazz and rock&roll might sell, but there is zero market for classical.
As, well, vinyl sounds best to my ears in any event and searching out old LPs is part of the fun.