AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

FloridaBoy 07-01-2015 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justlisten2 (Post 634057)
Man, I was just looking at Tube Depot, they are selling XF-2's (double halo) for $200 per tube!!
I guess that is still cheap compared to the $500/tube they are asking for Phillips Miniwatt metal base EL34's!!
Tube prices are getting crazy!! $500 for one EL34 tube???!!! :tears:

Those tubes are priced on rarity. New production power tube are the equal to and often better than NOS. There are some exceptions, like Pope 6V6's.

FloridaBoy 07-01-2015 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 634108)
Supply and demand. I think tube audio is gaining in popularity and they just aren't making any NOS tubes these days! :scratch2:

We would not have the selection of new production tubes available today without the guitar guys. They use more tubes than us audio types.

FloridaBoy 07-01-2015 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richamor (Post 640888)
My LSA Statement monitors are 89db at 6 ohms and are plenty loud. No stress on the amp at all.

As I understand it, the sensitivity is an indication of how loud a speaker will play at given power. It's the low impedance that will kill a lot of amps and drive them into clipping. I watched Dennis short out his speaker leads with no damage. I did that on my ST70 and produced a nice big spark.

If the impedance of the speaker is flat it should be easy to drive with a low power amp.

FloridaBoy 07-01-2015 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aercool (Post 643119)
I *really* like mine. They seem to go an octave lower in bass than with the 6V6GT, any Chinese/Russian KT-xx I've tried, 6V6G's (least bass of all, probably, but super sweet mids).

They're tough to find in good condition matching pairs where the getters don't look like a dried up water spot. Finding shiny thick mirror-clear getters on these big old tubes is a challenge. The bigger the tube the more difficult to seal and prevent air from getting in, at least that's my guess. I offered $300 for a pair on eBay (big gamble) for a pair he'd offered a BuyItNow at $399. I was a little surprised he came down that much. Mine are branded as GE, which might have a little less cache than a Type I (no holes in the plate) branded as TungSol, but it's essentially the same tube otherwise. Mine are probably 70's vintage. What I liked was that they were matching cosmetically and those minimalistic tests that sellers offer. How would we challenge the results? I doubt there's a tube tester within 100 miles of me! Peter could probably beat that diameter by a wide margin! So, no buyer's remorse for me. They have a powerful sound, deep rich bass that just lays on the ground like fog. My Zu Omens are rated for 35-25kHz frequency range, fwiw.

Got a new 1964 Amperex 6DJ8 in the mail today - in it goes to listen to Bill Frisell's new release tonight which also happened to come in the mail today.

I've had those 70's 3 hole 6550's too. Nice tubes and Kevin Deal thinks they are the best vintage. *I* wouldn't pay the premium for the late 50's black plates.

FloridaBoy 07-01-2015 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonatsea (Post 645367)
So far the gold lion GZ34 and my full music 6SL7 sound the best with my winged C EL34. It is more of a fun sound to me, lots of drive, loads of bass, and the 6SL7 to give it a little HIFI accuracy. Cant vouch whats best for the tubes longevity however

I've not used the GL GZ34. Have you compared it to a Mullard? It's great to have some new production options.

FloridaBoy 07-01-2015 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 680123)
Dennis says it is the best amp he's ever heard!

I didn't get the price though, did you?

I'm happy with my KT-150, but this is intriguing. Googling Type 45 tubes says it is a triode, so this amp may be a true SET.

The 45 amp is a true SET amp. I have had 300B amps and a Korneff 45. *I* preferred the 45. I was considering the Inspire 45 but did not want to get back into the $400+ a pair for tubes. He has one on the bay recently and it was $2595 with EML mesh plate 45's that cost $629 a pair. If you have speakers that can sing with 2 watts, IMHO, a well executed 45 amp is the bomb. :music:

FloridaBoy 07-01-2015 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loop4fun (Post 680174)
Not sure he's set on the pricing, so I'd hate to put it here... But I did order one. :) In copper, to match my 6v6.

He said it's a true set and I would guess about two watts output. (I didn't ask!) My speakers are 16ohm/100db and will easily work.

What speakers are you driving?

FloridaBoy 07-01-2015 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 681577)
Glad you are liking them. I've never tried Hytrons. Have tried a number of other 6v6s. If you like them, time to give Popes a try! They're not too expensive and won't stay available forever I'm sure. I also have liked NOS Sylvanias and National Union.

An RCA5Y3GT is what I'm using for the rectifier also. My driver is different tube type though.

I have a 6V6 Decware Mini Torii and the Pope's are excellent. The inexpensive Russian black glass 6V6's are very good too but they need a lot of hours. The Tung Sol reissue 6V6 is an excellent tube too.

FloridaBoy 07-01-2015 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slefley (Post 685897)
Yes I have the same amp in Copper and am using a Sophia 6SL7 driver. I added the Mullard 5AR4 with the Pope's and now the two are very close. The 6V6 comes out on top for transparency while the KT150 have more body/warmth. Honestly I can live with either, and I'm sure in a different system the results could be different.

How many hours did you have on the KT150's?

pstrisik 07-01-2015 09:40 AM

Is the IFA-1 an integrated?

Do you have cable coming in to your system anywhere? I had to add a noise blocker on mine, but it cured it.