AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Final decision (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=21822)

Michael7 06-29-2013 04:04 PM

Final decision

Hey Guys,

I finally decide to sell my beloved Genesis V speaker to get high efficient speaker. I don't know which one I'll buy. Some Altec would be an idea. Want to try a horn speaker.

After I sell my Speaker next step will come....sell also my Pass monos....to get a Shindo Cortese SET or Sun Audio Uchida maybe. They should sound pretty nice in the mids and voice of singers.

I want an all tube combo. Think thats the right way for me and think with my speaker I cannot go this way as easy I want :-( So sell LS

S1chen 06-29-2013 06:05 PM

If you want a horn speaker with modern sound, deep bass like before. High efficient for your targeted amplifier. Do consider the advantgarde speaker.

Grasshopper 06-29-2013 07:04 PM

Check out the JBL 1400 Arrays.

Michael7 06-29-2013 07:30 PM

The other Shindo amps seems very nice too, i think a SET "always" sound better?

countingbackwards 06-29-2013 09:07 PM

Based on my experience...SET isn't necessarily objectively better than push-pull amps. It depends on priorities. It seems easier to design an SET that has a "pure" tonality to it. However, it seems easier to design a push-pull amp that has wide bandwidth.

However...a well-designed SET can have wide bandwidth as well - and a well-designed push-pull amp can have great pureness of tone.

IMHO, each amp must be taken on its own merits based on listening, not based on reading its design parameters.

As an example...I've not heard better pureness of tone in the SET's I've heard than in the Shindo CC80 (which is push-pull).

JPrest 06-29-2013 09:31 PM

I think that the Tannoy Montior Reds 12" or 15" are the sweet spot in the vintage Tannoy line. I use both in the 12's in a Reflex and now 15's in GRF cabinets. I use Masseto pre and Cortese or Montille.

GaryProtein 06-29-2013 10:46 PM

Oh boy, you started with great stuff.

I hope you don't live to regret your decision.

NOLG4EVR 06-29-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countingbackwards (Post 507519)
Based on my experience...SET isn't necessarily objectively better than push-pull amps. It depends on priorities. It seems easier to design an SET that has a "pure" tonality to it. However, it seems easier to design a push-pull amp that has wide bandwidth.

However...a well-designed SET can have wide bandwidth as well - and a well-designed push-pull amp can have great pureness of tone.

IMHO, each amp must be taken on its own merits based on listening, not based on reading its design parameters.

As an example...I've not heard better pureness of tone in the SET's I've heard than in the Shindo CC80 (which is push-pull).

I see you are in Montreal. Do you have any experience with the Shindo dealer there, Coup de Foudre? Planning on visiting and stopping in to audition some shindo pieces.

riesling 06-30-2013 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael7 (Post 507428)
Hey Guys,

I finally decide to sell my beloved Genesis V speaker to get high efficient speaker. I don't know which one I'll buy. Some Altec would be an idea. Want to try a horn speaker.

After I sell my Speaker next step will come....sell also my Pass monos....to get a Shindo Cortese SET or Sun Audio Uchida maybe. They should sound pretty nice in the mids and voice of singers.

I want an all tube combo. Think thats the right way for me and think with my speaker I cannot go this way as easy I want :-( So sell LS

...my peppercorn: if you really are on the point considering to change your whole setup, don't miss the opportunity to listen to an all Shindo chain first and make your own judgement - for yourself, not for others.

Take your time and don't limit yourself by a rashly made first buy of what has become an idée fixe in your head.

...out of my experience: don't miss to listen to the Line Magnetic Western replica loudspeakers !

have a nice trip

Michael7 06-30-2013 06:14 AM

Yes I'm little concerned to sell almost all stuff i got. Thats why I said "beloved" speaker. I really like them but they are only 90db and I want some low powered tube amp. My father got good stuff too and it's his hobby for about 30ys so maybe he can save me to not do bad desicions :-)

Your suggested loudspeakers looking pretty nice. I'll search the internet for some reviews of those.