AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cables Galore (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Audioquest Aspen vs Oak (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43008)

GBP 05-25-2018 02:43 AM

Audioquest Aspen vs Oak

Hi there!

Audioquest Aspen vs Oak.
Everything is similar but the PSC/PSC+ vs fully PSC+.
Of course there must be an audible difference, but... I can't imagine that this difference is more than just a slight one.

Experiences anyone?

(Could get an Aspen for a really good price from a dealer who's quitting with AQ. I could send it to AQ to let them shorten it and doing from Single- to BiWire.)

mcpaf76 05-25-2018 01:11 PM

I own Audioquest Oaks, very pleased with them. I auditioned a few cables around them in price (don't recall exactly which, I believe Comet and Castle Rock were 2 of them) The differences were very subtle, even the difference between the Oaks and the relatively inexpensive DH labs Silver Sonics wasn't much.

joey_v 05-26-2018 12:51 PM

I could probably do a demo, my friend has the Oaks, I have the Aspen (and Wel).

GBP 05-26-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey_v (Post 916343)
I could probably do a demo, my friend has the Oaks, I have the Aspen (and Wel).

Do it please. :)

I'm very curious what happens to the bass and the highs.
The AQ Fire is my connection between Pre and Amp. It's resolution is fantastic. But now i'm missing a bit on the bottom... The overall sound isn't overanalytic, but it tends (!) to be on the lean side on "normal" songs and movies. I mean, it's not really lean, but it could be "fuller".

My dealer lend me the Aspen for some days, so i know the characterics approximately. But it was before i installed the Fire...

Maybe the Oak is remarkable better in everything.
Could get an newly Aspen for a really good price. But have to send it to AQ as it's too long and not BiWire.

tdelahanty 05-26-2018 06:05 PM

I have Aspen in my system and did a direct comparison to Oak. Oak was a bit more pronounced in the mids and highs. Aspen has a slightly warmer character. The
requirements of your system, personal taste and cost out weigh the slight differences between these cables. I have not spent the extra $1000.00 for Oak. :music:

GBP 05-26-2018 06:18 PM

Thank you!
Did you notice anything regarding "speed"?

joey_v 05-26-2018 06:53 PM

This is my way of putting things into perspective:

The Oak compared to standard Home Depot 12g copper wire was a smaller delta than the delta between the oak and the wel. I’d expect the aspen to be pretty close to the oak.

tdelahanty 05-27-2018 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBP (Post 916383)
Thank you!
Did you notice anything regarding "speed"?

No

GBP 06-04-2018 12:04 PM

I ordered the Oak today. With the Carbon-DBS. Eeexxxccciiittteeeddd. :)

joey_v 06-04-2018 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBP (Post 917491)
I ordered the Oak today. With the Carbon-DBS. Eeexxxccciiittteeeddd. :)

Congrats! :thumbsup: