AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Schiit (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Need a gentle nudge.. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43654)

rushca01 08-28-2018 08:39 AM

Need a gentle nudge..

Been away for awhile but I'm back at it.

I have a Mcintosh C2300 and MC402 and use it conjunction with a Node 2. I have been looking at the Gungnir for close to a year now but what I can't decide on is the Multibit. I have some "older" Analysis speaker wire, and "cheap" interconnects at the moment, although I am looking to try some "budget" wire world interconnects (digital and audio).

So what I'm getting at is I don't have a super hi-end system by the standard here but it's nicer than the average joe. Do I save a couple dollars and forego the multibit or go all in?

jdandy 08-28-2018 10:53 AM

rushca01.......Go all in. Why short change yourself over $400 when adding a new DAC to your system. You will eventually own better interconnects and other components. Then you will be kicking yourself for cutting corners with the delta-sigma DAC in the Gungnir. The multibit version also delivers the same closed-form DSP-based digital filter as Yggdrasil, coupled to four precision Analog Devices AD5781BRUZ digital to analog converters. Worth every penny in my opinion.

http://www.the-ear.net/sites/default...irMB_front.jpg

Karl Maga 08-28-2018 01:14 PM

I agree with Jim. Your DAC will heavily affect the sound of your system. It’s a worthwhile place to spend what you can and you will never regret buying a better one.

Mikado463 08-28-2018 03:35 PM

Yep..... 'schiit' or get off the pot !

jdandy 08-28-2018 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Maga (Post 928901)
I agree with Jim. Your DAC will heavily affect the sound of your system. It’s a worthwhile place to spend what you can and you will never regret buying a better one.

Karl.......It's Dan, not Jim, but call me anything you like, just don't call me late for dinner. :)

Soundmig 08-28-2018 04:38 PM

Very happy Gungnir MB owner here - I say buy the MB - you WONT be sorry.

Cohibaman 08-28-2018 05:54 PM

Need a gentle nudge..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 928914)

+1

Like you rushca01, I’m running a C2300, but with a pair of MC402. I upgraded my Gungnir to MB with Gen 5 USB and so damn glad I did. I’m considering a Yggdrasil, but I’m still in love with Gumby.

You know, you have a 15-day trial period. :thumbsup:

rushca01 08-28-2018 06:21 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I think it’s settled, the multibit is a must.

jdandy 08-28-2018 06:51 PM

rushca01.......I will be looking forward to reading about your impression of the Gungnir multibit DAC. I am positive you will be heartily impressed with your purchase. Keep us posted, and please don't forget how much we like photos.

Karl Maga 08-28-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 928915)
Karl.......It's Dan, not Jim, but call me anything you like, just don't call me late for dinner. :)

Jim, I think I got subconsciously got caught up in jdandy = Jim Dandy. :D

Just kidding Dan.

PeterMusic 08-28-2018 08:43 PM

Not to be too presumptuous, but unless you're on a tight budget I think you should consider the Yggy too. Your McIntosh gear will appreciate it right away, and the other stuff can be upgraded over time.

When I bought my Yggy, it cost as much as my amp and speakers combined (I knew I'd be upgrading the other stuff later, and I didn't want to buy a DAC that would end up on the shelf after 2-3 years). It elevated that system WAY beyond its price tag.

crwilli 08-28-2018 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 928914)

Fighting my urges here.

Cohibaman 08-28-2018 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 928964)
Fighting my urges here.

Do it! Muwahahahahaha

US Blues 08-29-2018 06:50 AM

The Yggdrasil is on par with your McIntosh gear, and there is a strong case to be made for keeping gear "on par." Either way you go, Schiit multibit delivers the goods.

rushca01 08-29-2018 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterMusic (Post 928956)
Not to be too presumptuous, but unless you're on a tight budget I think you should consider the Yggy too. Your McIntosh gear will appreciate it right away, and the other stuff can be upgraded over time.

When I bought my Yggy, it cost as much as my amp and speakers combined (I knew I'd be upgrading the other stuff later, and I didn't want to buy a DAC that would end up on the shelf after 2-3 years). It elevated that system WAY beyond its price tag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by US Blues (Post 928986)
The Yggdrasil is on par with your McIntosh gear, and there is a strong case to be made for keeping gear "on par." Either way you go, Schiit multibit delivers the goods.

I'll be honest, I thought the Yggy was overkill for my system. Truthfully I just acquired the Mcintosh gear last year from audio classics so I won't be trading any of those components out anytime soon.

PeterMusic 08-29-2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushca01 (Post 928987)
I'll be honest, I thought the Yggy was overkill for my system. Truthfully I just acquired the Mcintosh gear last year from audio classics so I won't be trading any of those components out anytime soon.

With all due respect, I think you're confused by the Yggy's extraordinary reviews. You've got over $10K in amplification. I don't think you've mentioned your speakers, but a typical ratio would put you at another $10K+. At these levels, $2.5K for a DAC is a no-brainer.

But don't take my word for it--ask your dealer how much you might budget for a DAC worthy of your amps. Then buy the Yggy and treat yourself to some cables with part of the savings:cheers:

rushca01 08-29-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterMusic (Post 928999)
With all due respect, I think you're confused by the Yggy's extraordinary reviews. You've got over $10K in amplification. I don't think you've mentioned your speakers, but a typical ratio would put you at another $10K+. At these levels, $2.5K for a DAC is a no-brainer.

But don't take my word for it--ask your dealer how much you might budget for a DAC worthy of your amps. Then buy the Yggy and treat yourself to some cables with part of the savings:cheers:

Good point, I guess I paid a little over 8k total for the c2300 and mc402. I'm using paradigm prestige 95f speakers.

Formerly YB-2 08-29-2018 12:47 PM

Get the Gumby multibit and I'll buy it from you next year when you upgrade to the Yggy.

rushca01 08-29-2018 02:12 PM

You guys are not making this easy..I was originally debating the gumby and gumby multibit and now I'm looking at the yggy.. It does look like a nice piece of kit.

In the meantime, I'm also looking at wireworld digital cables (silver star 7) and audio interconnects (eclipse or equinox).

2fastdriving 08-29-2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushca01 (Post 929047)
You guys are not making this easy..I was originally debating the gumby and gumby multibit and now I'm looking at the yggy.. It does look like a nice piece of kit.

In the meantime, I'm also looking at wireworld digital cables (silver star 7) and audio interconnects (eclipse or equinox).

If you thought you were gonna save money with this thread...well...:roflmao:

vegaracer1 08-29-2018 05:48 PM

Save in the long run, you will never be completely satisfied with the lesser model now.[emoji573]

jdandy 08-30-2018 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 929059)
If you thought you were gonna save money with this thread...well...:roflmao:

Marc.......No kidding. We absolutely love to spend other people's money. We're pretty good at it, too.

rushca01 08-30-2018 07:35 PM

After doing some more thinking I originally came here to decide between the gmby and the gmby multibit but now I’m really thinking about the yggy.. Honestly, most of my music is streamed via a Node 2..is the yggy really going to make that much of a difference? The 21 bit vs the 19 bit and all the MRI/Millitary chip talk has me hook line and sinker.

jdandy 08-30-2018 09:30 PM

rushca21.......All I can tell you is I would not trade my new Yggdrasil analog 2 version with the new Gen 5 USB for a Gumby, even if I got the difference in cost refunded to me. No way. The Yggdrasil DAC is remarkable. It is worth far more than its price.

kubla36 08-30-2018 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushca01 (Post 929209)
After doing some more thinking I originally came here to decide between the gmby and the gmby multibit but now I’m really thinking about the yggy.. Honestly, most of my music is streamed via a Node 2..is the yggy really going to make that much of a difference? The 21 bit vs the 19 bit and all the MRI/Millitary chip talk has me hook line and sinker.

Holy Schiit, the Yggy A2 I ordered just arrived and is burning in. Just in time for a long weekend! It will be a couple hundred hours before I can compare it to the Gumby fairly. Just turned on the stereo long enough to be sure music was going through; it sounds different. (I’m like all: Vapors, Waiting for the Weekend)

As per my earlier posts, I’m a fan of R2R— get the multibit whichever version.

jdandy 08-31-2018 01:23 AM

rushca21.......I don't know if you read my Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Review , but if not you may find it interesting.

rushca01 08-31-2018 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kubla36 (Post 929239)
Holy Schiit, the Yggy A2 I ordered just arrived and is burning in. Just in time for a long weekend! It will be a couple hundred hours before I can compare it to the Gumby fairly. Just turned on the stereo long enough to be sure music was going through; it sounds different. (I’m like all: Vapors, Waiting for the Weekend)

As per my earlier posts, I’m a fan of R2R— get the multibit whichever version.

I can’t wait to read this, this will be the first side by side that I know of with these two units.

PeterMusic 08-31-2018 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushca01 (Post 929209)

The thing to keep in mind about the Yggy--as described by numerous reliable reviewers, including jdandy--it does not follow the normal economic rules of audiophiledom. It's performance/price ratio is so over the top that it makes sense "even" for a Node 2 (not to dis your source). At the risk of blasphemy on AA, the Yggy investment is a much better value than your McIntosh investment. Just go

mcpaf76 08-31-2018 09:29 AM

I wouldn't short change your Node. I don't currently use one, (using BlueOs card in my M12) but when I had one I used it with it's analog out, and I literally A/B'd it against Aurender streamers and other Dacs costing 5 times the price and it was distinguishable to me.

Formerly YB-2 08-31-2018 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kubla36 (Post 929239)
Holy Schiit, the Yggy A2 I ordered just arrived and is burning in. Just in time for a long weekend! It will be a couple hundred hours before I can compare it to the Gumby fairly. Just turned on the stereo long enough to be sure music was going through; it sounds different. (I’m like all: Vapors, Waiting for the Weekend).

Looking forward to your thoughts. Please keep us posted.

Masterlu 08-31-2018 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegaracer1 (Post 929078)
Save in the long run, you will never be completely satisfied with the lesser model now.[emoji573]

Dean... Speaking about improvements, time to upgrade your Signature. :ok:

vegaracer1 08-31-2018 08:10 PM

Soon Ivan, Sept.9[emoji322]

kubla36 08-31-2018 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushca01 (Post 929250)
I can’t wait to read this, this will be the first side by side that I know of with these two units.

Listening tonight and reflecting on Dans experience with burn in, that’s going to be a while. Immediately larger stage, more resolution, but I’m getting more pressure and sometimes seems a little brassy/compressed in the upper. Not relaxed or familiar. Reminds me very much of the hundreds of hours before the Gumby or I was burned in.

crwilli 09-01-2018 08:11 AM

Need a gentle nudge..

To offer an additional point of view, if you are going to go further with your digital music collection, you might consider a DAC that can decode DSD. Based on the reviews of the Schiit products, I am sure they sound good but they do not decode DSD.

For me, once I learned of DSD, I had to have a DAC that could play it and am glad I went that direction.

Know thyself.

rushca01 09-08-2018 04:47 PM

I’ve decided on yggy, likely purchase in the next week or so. Still shows on backorder. The Holo spring DAC did look interesting but in the end I decided to stick with Schiit.

robfine 09-08-2018 05:26 PM

It’s never a bad idea to go with good Schiit.

PeterMusic 09-08-2018 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushca01 (Post 930627)
I’ve decided on yggy, likely purchase in the next week or so. Still shows on backorder. The Holo spring DAC did look interesting but in the end I decided to stick with Schiit.

We look forward to your report (after burn in).:thumbsup:

rushca01 09-09-2018 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterMusic (Post 930658)
We look forward to your report (after burn in).:thumbsup:

Question on burn in, do you need to run a signal to it?

Formerly YB-2 09-09-2018 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushca01 (Post 930627)

When you state "stick with", what other Schiit gear do you have?
Also, please give us your thoughts when you first listen to as well as your Yggy breaks-in, etc. Thanks.

rushca01 09-09-2018 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 930705)
When you state "stick with", what other Schiit gear do you have?
Also, please give us your thoughts when you first listen to as well as your Yggy breaks-in, etc. Thanks.

Stick with as in stick with my original choice and not the holo.