AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   News (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Sony adds DSD car audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=34941)

djwhog 02-28-2016 09:34 AM

Sony adds DSD car audio

http://positive-feedback.com/wp-cont...a-Receiver.jpg

Sony Electronics has added the RSX-GS9 Car Digital Media Player to their High Resolution Audio lineup. The RSX-GS9 brings 5.1 Channel Surround Sound and Stereo DSD (Single Rate DSD 2.8 MHz and Double Rate DSD 5.6 MHz) and PCM (up to 24-bit, 192kHz WAV and FLAC) playback to the car stereo market. Unlike many earlier Sony Car Stereo head units, the RSX-GS9 does not include CD Stereo disc playback but instead focuses on high resolution audio playback from music files.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

nicoff 02-28-2016 12:28 PM

I just wonder how big is the market for a unit like this. Most cars today come with an integrated system that includes navigation, car settings etc. I do not see many folks willing to ditch or bastardize a decent OEM system on new cars. Perhaps the market is older vehicles with lousy radios.

o0OBillO0o 02-28-2016 12:41 PM

nicoff... my thoughts as well. This came out at CES2016, for the MSRP they're asking, one is better off getting a Sony Walkman and using the AUX input.

Further, Carplay and Android Auto are gaining momentum.

All Car Audio enthusiasts, like me, need is a good analog preamp, amp and speakers. Let the Source contain the Media and EQ.

I would go for a Bluray Car Audio player with multichannel sound, where the Bluray Audio only discs can be played.

Dr Tone 02-28-2016 01:53 PM

Not sure why anyone would feel a noisy car would warrant DSD playback, but I guess if you only have certain albums in DSD makes sense.

djwhog 02-28-2016 03:43 PM

I bet cars like a Bentley are pretty quiet, I know a GT 40 had a McIntosh system.

But yes most of the road noise I guess is a cancel out, but still darn nice and great when parked at a picnic etc..

JMAC 02-28-2016 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Tone (Post 763375)
Not sure why anyone would feel a noisy car would warrant DSD playback, but I guess if you only have certain albums in DSD makes sense.

That's what I was thinking. I'm surprised that Sony spent what must be a ton of $$ to develop and bring this new product to market. Must need to keep lifetime workers busy at something at the moment. :D

o0OBillO0o 02-28-2016 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Tone (Post 763375)

Thats a myth, sure 65dB ambient noise is going to drown out even the worst of mediums. Still, the care of mastering the was put into the DSD is going to sound great. Try it now, convert your DSD and burn to CD, Tape, USB stick, or SD card. You'll still be happy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by djwhog (Post 763406)
I bet cars like a Bentley are pretty quiet, I know a GT 40 had a McIntosh system. But yes most of the road noise I guess is a cancel out, but still darn nice and great when parked at a picnic etc..

Thats a Clarion branded by McIntosh deck, its awesome. But not original. Subaru has a bunch of McIntosh branded decks, they are great as well.

Dr Tone 02-28-2016 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o (Post 763460)
Thats a myth, sure 65dB ambient noise is going to drown out even the worst of mediums. Still, the care of mastering the was put into the DSD is going to sound great. Try it now, convert your DSD and burn to CD, Tape, USB stick, or SD card. You'll still be happy.

It's tough to get a good soundstage from those well mastered albums. The vehicle might be the one place a little compression comes in handy. Radio stations have been doing it for years.

Anyway, I don't have a single DSD, so I shouldn't really be voicing my opinion. :scratch2:

doggiehowser 02-29-2016 04:23 AM

My el cheapo Fiesta ST has a Sony integrated unit and it sounds pretty good. It has a rudimentary EQ system that puts the singer directly in front of the driver if you wanted it to - or it could be right in the center like in a stereo system.

I imagine the internals of this can be easily transplanted to another system - with GPS etc if needed.

I have heard some in car systems with Focal Utopia 3 way and active DSP with active crossovers that sound pretty impressive too.

o0OBillO0o 02-29-2016 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser (Post 763576)
My el cheapo Fiesta ST has a Sony integrated unit and it sounds pretty good. It has a rudimentary EQ system that puts the singer directly in front of the driver if you wanted it to - or it could be right in the center like in a stereo system.

I imagine the internals of this can be easily transplanted to another system - with GPS etc if needed.

I have heard some in car systems with Focal Utopia 3 way and active DSP with active crossovers that sound pretty impressive too.

Thats a good point, in-car EQ and time correcting; almost all premium factory stereo's offer these features.

Yes, you could take your deck and install it in a new car. GPS? That's what Waze and a mobile phone is for.