AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Nice Letter to the Editor in Stereophile (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=1198)

Still-One 06-10-2009 09:28 PM

Nice Letter to the Editor in Stereophile

This is an excerpt from a Letter to the Editor in May’s Stereophile. He starts of saying he is a 31 year old Audiophile and that the Magazine is for dying old farts and is no longer relevant with youth.

“Well, first off, you guys always review equipment with classical music. You really think people my age or younger listen to that shit? You hardly ever review your equipment with popular music like rock or R&B, and I know damn well you never use music like rap or techno-tronic.

Second, you guys continue to hold on to old-ass formats like vinyl and tubes. And you keep on insisting both sound better than CD or solid state. In fact, a very popular science magazine evaluated vinyl and stated why old farts like you think vinyl and tubes sound better than CD. They found it wasn’t because it holds more information, ‘cause it doesn’t, but because it causes vibrations in the material itself that creates the illusion that it sounds warmer-or, in your case, better. Just like tubes, they don’t reproduce the music correctly (and are horribly inefficient) , but instead you this artificial artifact in the sound of music, and you guys interpret it as being better. You really think that 1920’s technology sounds better than today’s?”

PHC1 06-10-2009 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillone (Post 20720)
This is an excerpt from a Letter to the Editor in May’s Stereophile. He starts of saying he is a 31 year old Audiophile and that the Magazine is for dying old farts and is no longer relevant with youth.

“Well, first off, you guys always review equipment with classical music. You really think people my age or younger listen to that shit? You hardly ever review your equipment with popular music like rock or R&B, and I know damn well you never use music like rap or techno-tronic.

Second, you guys continue to hold on to old-ass formats like vinyl and tubes. And you keep on insisting both sound better than CD or solid state. In fact, a very popular science magazine evaluated vinyl and stated why old farts like you think vinyl and tubes sound better than CD. They found it wasn’t because it holds more information, ‘cause it doesn’t, but because it causes vibrations in the material itself that creates the illusion that it sounds warmer-or, in your case, better. Just like tubes, they don’t reproduce the music correctly (and are horribly inefficient) , but instead you this artificial artifact in the sound of music, and you guys interpret it as being better. You really think that 1920’s technology sounds better than today’s?”

I bet he never tried or heard vinyl on at least a decent analog rig. :D

PHC1 06-10-2009 09:32 PM

Not to mention that a tube is a more linear device over transistors even if it is noisier.

80B 06-10-2009 09:41 PM

Sounds like he's got issues.

I bet guys twice his age get it twice as much. :lmao:

Still-One 06-10-2009 09:43 PM

I disagree with both statements. Tubes are nosier with greater distortion and have narrower bandwidth. The SN ratio of SS gear can be 20 to 30 db greater than tubes.

IMHO Tubes are great in the mid's but cannot replicate the highs or lows of SS.

Sproink 06-10-2009 09:45 PM

Spoiled brat, I'd say.

:smoking:

KMC45 06-10-2009 09:49 PM

Jim wrote the letter.:D

80B 06-10-2009 09:52 PM

Jim,
Any Techno-tronic reviews? :D

Still-One 06-10-2009 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMC45 (Post 20734)
Jim wrote the letter.:D

No. he is off on some of his comments. Besides, unfortunately I a am couple years short from being twice his age.

PHC1 06-10-2009 09:55 PM

If everyone was truly happy with their gear, Audiogon wouldn't exist. :D I say do and listen to whatever turns you on.