AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   JL Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sound Anchor Subwoofer Stand for Fathom f113 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=5515)

jdandy 09-10-2010 09:54 PM

Sound Anchor Subwoofer Stand for Fathom f113

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4667/...00d82afb_z.jpg

I received my new Sound Anchor subwoofer stand this afternoon, all 70+ pounds of it. It was packed well, bolted to a plywood base in a heavy cardboard shipping box. After unpacking the stand, I installed the four spikes on the bottom of the stand, placed it where my Fathom had been sitting, and proceeded to wrestle the Fathom up and onto the stand. The Fathom f113 is an awkward monster when trying to move it by yourself. I managed to get it on the stand without any damage to the finish, but it was not easy. (Advil tonight).

After reconnecting the left and right line inputs and power cable, plus a thorough cleaning of hand prints on the subwoofer, and a wipe down of the stand to remove dust, I was now ready for an audition. First up, Brian Bromberg, "Never Give Up". Brian's electric bass on this track is a nice test of bass tone, attack, and extension. My immediate impression of the Fathom being elevated seven inches above the carpet was a new sense of depth and width from the lowest octaves in the sound stage, a more three dimensional image to the bass. My second impression was the volume level of the bass from the Fathom was lower in the new elevated position than at floor level. This was quickly resolved with a slight increase of the Fathom's Master Level control. The Sound Anchor subwoofer stand has made a very nice improvement in the dimensional quality of the lowest octaves, and for this alone it is worth the price.

The quality of construction of the Sound Anchor subwoofer stand is impressive. Every piece has been accurately measured, cut and welded with a high degree of mechanical craftsmanship. The fit and finish is impressive, and the solidity of the finished product is in the Sherman Tank category. No light weight materials were employed in this design. Do not, I repeat, do not stub your toe on this stand. Your toe will lose! A vacuum cleaner will be no match for this serious subwoofer stand, either.

The stand is actually larger than I had anticipated in its front to back measurements. The manner in which the front and rear crossbars were attached leaves these steel members jutting forward and rearward past the actual front to rear dimensions of the subwoofer. This certainly creates a solid foundation, but will take some time for my eyes to adjust to the visual impression. One thing I like about the spikes is they pierce the carpet and embed themselves in the sub-floor creating a vibration free stand. A plus is the spikes keep the stand just at the carpet pile height so no deep carpet impressions will form from its placement.

I can recommend the Sound Anchor subwoofer stand. Ivan and Robert have managed to design and produce an attractive, and highly functional subwoofer stand that compliments the visual beauty of the Fathom subwoofers, and improves the three dimensional quality of the lowest octaves in the sound stage. In my opinion, this stand is a winner for anyone with a JL Audio Fathom subwoofer.

hkval 09-10-2010 10:21 PM

The entire combination of speaker and base is a piece of art. It looks totally right, with rock-solid structure and makes the F113 go from a beautifully finished box to a piece of contemporary furniture. I really like it.:thumbsup:

Vintage Pete 09-10-2010 10:45 PM

What Howard said, plus one. It really does look "right". I like it. :yes:

Pete

jdandy 09-10-2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkval (Post 105962)
The entire combination of speaker and base is a piece of art. It looks totally right, with rock-solid structure and makes the F113 go from a beautifully finished box to a piece of contemporary furniture. I really like it.:thumbsup:

Howard.......I agree with you. The more I look at the total package the more I like the appearance. It definitely improves the stature of the subwoofer in the room.

Masterlu 09-10-2010 11:15 PM

Dan, by tomorrow when you see it again you will think how blah it looked all by itself on the floor.

The stands present the "Throne" for the King of Subs. :yes:

jdandy 09-10-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Pete (Post 105966)
What Howard said, plus one. It really does look "right". I like it. :yes:

Pete.......Thank you. The improvement in bass dimension is a nice treat. I was listening to Dan Seigel earlier, and the acoustic bass was right in the middle of the room and just behind the piano. Very three dimensional presentation.

I think tomorrow I may recalibrate the Fathom to the room. Although I don't think I lost anything by raising the sub, I believe the existing sub curve stored in the Fathom's memory may benefit from new measurements. To my way of thinking, the seven inch elevation achieved by the new subwoofer stand would impact the computed curve in the same manner as if I had moved the sub seven inches one way or the other at floor level. It may or may not prove to be an advantage over what I am hearing right now, but curiosity drives me to see and hear what a new calibration curve might produce with the new subwoofer elevation.

jdandy 09-10-2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 105971)
Dan, by tomorrow when you see it again you will think how blah it looked all by itself on the floor.

The stands present the "Throne" for the King of Subs. :yes:

Ivan.......It is true, and I like that concept. It won't take long to grow accustomed to the new look.

KahunaCanuck 09-10-2010 11:43 PM

Great review as always Dan! :thumbsup:

I feel the same away about the improvement in soundstage and luv the look!

Enjoy!

Mike

Masterlu 09-11-2010 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck (Post 105975)
Great review as always Dan! :thumbsup:

I feel the same away about the improvement in soundstage and luv the look!

Enjoy!

Mike

Where's your pics Mike? :thumbsup:

KahunaCanuck 09-11-2010 12:15 AM

I took this previously...
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...o/b5d1b2c8.jpg

...but I will try to get some updated ones done...