AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Dynaudio Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   What powers your Dyns? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=11745)

seanmf 04-09-2012 10:46 PM

Integra DTR 30.2 & DTA 70.1

TS0711 04-12-2012 11:44 AM

A few years back I bought a new set of speakers for the main rig, and just didn’t have the heart to sell my Special 25’s (they really are special) so I moved them into the bedroom. Surprisingly they make very good near field monitors. They are being fed from a VTL IT-85 (EL34 integrated) and just sound wonderful.

Life is good!

Pider 04-12-2012 02:37 PM

I'm already thinking about upgrading from the NAD I got from Howard, so this thread is very informative.

Would appreciate a couple words on how the synergy is working for you. What made you like the coupling? Did you choose the electronics for the speakers? The speakers for the electronics? And why, what was the characteristic that cemented the deal.

callas01 04-12-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pider (Post 296722)
I'm already thinking about upgrading from the NAD I got from Howard, so this thread is very informative.

Would appreciate a couple words on how the synergy is working for you. What made you like the coupling? Did you choose the electronics for the speakers? The speakers for the electronics? And why, what was the characteristic that cemented the deal.

well, hear me out....

I got my X16s over the 140s because I didn't have the budget to get them, AND I didn't think Id have a good enough receiver to power the Focus properly, at the time I had a Sony, but knew I wanted to upgrade from the Sony/Energy combo to something better. So when I found the X16s, they had everything I wanted and I used the Sony(after talking to Mick several times), BUT I knew that Id be getting a better AVR a few months later, and got the Integra. This setup worked great, and I added the X22 for movies, as that was my first concern. I played music thru my Sony BDP, and it sounded really good. I thought!

I have a buddy in Chicago, said hey, Im coming to CA, lets meet up at his buddy's house. I went to his buddy's house and there he had the Focus 220 MKI, Naim XS, Arcam rDAC and Mac Mini and it floored me. I thought the Integra was very good, until I heard that setup.

So to do my due diligance I felt I would save up, and audition IAs over the next year. I had a price range of less then $1500 to spend and went and heard several. T+A, PeachTree, Musical Fidelity, Parasound Classic 2100 Pre-pro and 2125 amp, Anthem 225, Rotel, and a bunch of stuff beyond my price range, Octave, Audio Research, Boulder, McIntosh, etc.

I could not get the same sound that the Naim did that just blew me away. The T+A was the only one I really wanted as much as Naim, but the T+A was the same price as the Naim XS, and I was in the Naim Nait 5i price range. The other issue I had to deal with was I had to have a HTBP, so my field narrowed. Nait 5i, Musical Fidelity M3i, Arcam A18/A28, Creek Evolution-2/Creek 5350 Classic.

So I went and really listened to the MF M3i, I liked it, a lot. But something was missing. This is the same place I bought my Dyns the dealer was like take it with you... pay me later! sighhhh,.... NO, not yet, have to "talk with the wife first". Foo Fighters sounded like live concert, classical was good, Jazz was very good. But I was missing the special something. I could not find a local Creek dealer in CA to take my Dyns with me to audition, so I spoke with a dealer who dealt with Arcam and Naim. My last 2 choices. We talked a lot. He knew I loved the XS, and we discussed what I liked about it, he then encouraged me to get the 5i because it had more of what we talked about me wanting and liking.

So I have had the Nait 5i for several weeks, about 1 month or so. What people say about Naim is true. Just like what they say about Dynaudio is true. There entry level products are more musical and truthful then anything I have heard. The way that the two pair together is just awesome. The Nait has slam, real slam! But it still has finese and detail and a nice airy presentation. I read a few personal review of the Nait 5i-2 today online, and I agreed with everything the person said. It has power, real guts. Violins have so much life. Bass is bass, with a pace unlike other IAs. Vocals are well placed and sound so lifelike. I love the low level detail to, a lot of my listening is later in the night and I still get so much from so little.

I still have to upgrade my DAC, which Im between the rDAC and DAC*iT, but I can wait to improve the SQ of my CD playback, my Sony just doesn't have the analog section to do what I want.

My TT setup sounds great tho with the Nait 5i. Pro-ject Debut III, Sumiko Pearl, MF V-LPS, yes it budget, but it renders some very good music with nice toe-tapping rhythm and good low-end bass. Very Pleased overall with my setup.

In the end, to answer some of your questions, I bought the speakers cause they were the best ones I found in my price range. My electronics were bought to match my speakers. But more then that, they were also bought to meet my expectations of how I want my music to sound. I want the truth, with great dynamics and PRaT, and a large soundstage and precise imaging. It tough to find that in "budget" components, but I think that I will/have accomplish(ed) what I wanted.

Pider 04-12-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by callas01 (Post 296748)
well, hear me out....

So I have had the Nait 5i for several weeks, about 1 month or so. What people say about Naim is true. Just like what they say about Dynaudio is true. There entry level products are more musical and truthful then anything I have heard. The way that the two pair together is just awesome. The Nait has slam, real slam! But it still has finese and detail and a nice airy presentation. I read a few personal review of the Nait 5i-2 today online, and I agreed with everything the person said. It has power, real guts. Violins have so much life. Bass is bass, with a pace unlike other IAs. Vocals are well placed and sound so lifelike. I love the low level detail to, a lot of my listening is later in the night and I still get so much from so little.

In the end, to answer some of your questions, I bought the speakers cause they were the best ones I found in my price range. My electronics were bought to match my speakers. But more then that, they were also bought to meet my expectations of how I want my music to sound. I want the truth, with great dynamics and PRaT, and a large soundstage and precise imaging. It tough to find that in "budget" components, but I think that I will/have accomplish(ed) what I wanted.

Wow! Now that answer is worth the price of admission! Thank you.

It seems Naim does comes up frequently in conjunction with Dyns. Howard, RaceTripper and others have mentioned them. I noticed when I went solely with the NAD that I did not like the bass handling compared to using the B&K straight into the NAD as a pre/pro. Bass is tricky, of course, but the whole thing went from a realistic sounding double bass to mushy and blooming. I'm okay for now since the combo seems to be working. The NAD amp is really musical in its presentation compared to the B&K, but I'd like to settle on an IA that can keep me toe tapping for many years.

Thanks. Any others?

Josquin des Prez 04-12-2012 07:30 PM

I've tried several good electronics: Arcam, T+A, Simaudio Moon, Octave. They all sound great, but just don't have that grip and punch of the Naim. Octave came closest, but would have been most expensive. Now that I have the venerable NAP250-2 for amplification it will be even harder to beat.

Audio 1 04-12-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaceTripper (Post 296827)
I've tried several good electronics: Arcam, T+A, Simaudio Moon, Octave. They all sound great, but just don't have that grip and punch of the Naim. Octave came closest, but would have been most expensive. Now that I have the venerable NAP25-2 for amplification it will be even harder to beat.

I am looking forward to join your Naim bliss in the very near future :yes:

VT Skier 04-13-2012 09:36 AM

I use Simaudio (P-8/W-7), originally based on the premise that Dynaudio paired with Sim at every audio show so the combination must be good. And all the glowing reviews by people whose preferences are similar to mine helped.

In my home, the combination sounds great, although I've heard Dyn sound terrific with Octave and other gear at shows. I think any well regarded manufacturer would make any Dyn speaker sound good, and then it all comes down to the buyer's personal choice.

hkval 04-13-2012 10:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My poor, lonely Dynaudio C4's are without power. BUT, they are, as of today, able to look at the new home created in the Entertainment Center to house whatever electronics I end up choosing.
An absolutely expert craftsman, Greg ( a great friend of Buddy's), came over a few weeks ago and looked at the empty holes, studied my drawings and needs, and today installed the final project.
The 3/4" shelves are fully adjustable, 2 thermostacilly controlled fans in each cabinet drawing cool air in and exhausting warm air, multiple holes everywhere for running cable in an uncluttered pattern from the rear, sides and underneath. The adjustable tracks for the shelves are recessed into the wood and the back panel is removable if the need arises. Also, the fans are attached with wingnuts so I can undo them from the rear bathroom access and easily reach in for any special adjustments my equipment or wiring will need. There are also 3 holes in the back of each one of the 24" deep shelves. I will post more pictures as the project progresses.
Now, I just need to get some power and music to the Dyns.:scratch2:

mdkim 04-13-2012 11:09 PM

hkval

I'm watching your system w/ great interest. I have C4 IIs on the way and have somewhat similar electronics to what you had previously (MC601s & C2300). Please keep us posted on what you decide and, most importantly, why you decided to go there. Thanks man.